• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Aston Villa 3-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

As I said, I'm somewhat optimistic because we are at least creating opportunities.
We do keep the ball quite well at times, end of first half as an example, but it is when the pressure is really on that we don't have someone like Mouts to put a foot on it.

Defensively, we have defended well for 70 mins the last two weeks but then lose concentration, tire out and then the inevitable happens.

So, I have some confidence although it is diminishing. And, having been through this before and having seen us stay up and also be relegated, I don't get too worked up by it. There's always another game and by now, every Wolves fan should have realised that 7th place was our peak and that the Prem is not the Holy Grail. It's football. Clubs like ours go through good times and bad times. Mostly bad times.
This is it. You don’t think we should be aspire to a good standard, indeed we should expect to be sht. But you’re also happy we’re charged top dollar to watch it.

When they’re goosestepping down Whitehall? Then the button prime minister??

There's always another game and by now, every Wolves fan should have realised that 7th place was our peak and that the Prem is not the Holy Grail. It's football. Clubs like ours go through good times and bad times. Mostly bad times.
Mate, don't fucking patronise me. I've been watching us for 36 years.

Maybe I thought that a platform of back to back 7th placed finishes, the likes of Ruben Neves, Joao Moutinho and Raul Jimenez in the team, an FA Cup semi-final and a Europa League quarter final were things to build on rather than a managed decline whereby we'd all readily snatch your hand off for 17th place in the Premier League, but what do I know.

I don't sit here thinking "at least I'm not watching Paul McLoughlin". I curse the squandered opportunity.

It’s never his fault. But if we beat Liverpool next week he’ll gladly show his analysis and preparation
I feel like he’s been better about taking responsibility than many (not a high bar) but any coach, in any sport, retreating to “we’ve been unlucky” means they’re out of ideas. 1 out of 15 isn’t bad luck. No league clean sheet since February isn’t bad luck.

Time to go.

This is it. You don’t think we should be aspire to a good standard, indeed we should expect to be sht. But you’re also happy we’re charged top dollar to watch it.

When they’re goosestepping down Whitehall? Then the button prime minister??
I haven't said that.
I have seen us go down the leagues and back up again. I've seen really shit players and some really good ones in a Wolves shirt.
Top dollar makes little difference. Everyone has a choice in their lives. Go or don't go. Your choice. No-one is forcing you to pay or to go.

The law of supply and demand.

As for us, I'll be frank. The Prem. bores me most of the time because it isn't a fair or even close to a fair competition. I watch a lot of the lower leagues because you have players aspiring to be better. In the Prem. there's too many primadonnas spoiling the game. I love watching Cunha in full flow, I detest the shit he pulls like he did today. Then you have the standard of refereeing and while VAR is better this season, it totally fucked me off the last few seasons.

So, I just take it as it is. For better or worse. Sure, I'd love us to be competing at the other end of the table. Realistically though, it ain't happening. And when you've been through the Bhattis, you try to understand why Fosun want us to be self sustaining. Sure there is a pain factor. Such is life.

As opposed to this?

Also, Bailey is their Hwang. He had a purple patch last season but nothing suggests it wasn’t a fluke at this stage.
:) :) :) .... you are seriously saying Bailey is the same as Hwang?

I haven't said that.
I have seen us go down the leagues and back up again. I've seen really shit players and some really good ones in a Wolves shirt.
Top dollar makes little difference. Everyone has a choice in their lives. Go or don't go. Your choice. No-one is forcing you to pay or to go.

The law of supply and demand.

As for us, I'll be frank. The Prem. bores me most of the time because it isn't a fair or even close to a fair competition. I watch a lot of the lower leagues because you have players aspiring to be better. In the Prem. there's too many primadonnas spoiling the game. I love watching Cunha in full flow, I detest the shit he pulls like he did today. Then you have the standard of refereeing and while VAR is better this season, it totally fucked me off the last few seasons.

So, I just take it as it is. For better or worse. Sure, I'd love us to be competing at the other end of the table. Realistically though, it ain't happening. And when you've been through the Bhattis, you try to understand why Fosun want us to be self sustaining. Sure there is a pain factor. Such is life.
Yes, truly you are the special one who can see the Objective Reality which is lost on the rest of us.

We look very Sheff Utd in the post pandemic year, don’t get to many poundings early on but keep losing. Eventually confidence is shot to pieces and can’t buy a win.

I feel like he’s been better about taking responsibility than many (not a high bar) but any coach, in any sport, retreating to “we’ve been unlucky” means they’re out of ideas. 1 out of 15 isn’t bad luck. No league clean sheet since February isn’t bad luck.

Time to go.
Do you think? He spent his first few games blaming Lopetegui for everything. Then when we had a reasonable run he couldn’t wait to brag about how brilliant he was. So when he’s being very open in his interviews at that point he’s a “breath of fresh air”. Soon stopped sharing hasn’t he. I don’t understand the bit where people find him likeable the more I think about it. I think he’s an idiot

Game management is one thing but what happens when you don't have adequate replacements on the bench for those who tire out? It's a combination of that and management IMO. Villa brought on Bailey. We had Guedes.
He alsaid we were stronger in depth. Its a fucking joke

Mate, don't fucking patronise me. I've been watching us for 36 years.

Maybe I thought that a platform of back to back 7th placed finishes, the likes of Ruben Neves, Joao Moutinho and Raul Jimenez in the team, an FA Cup semi-final and a Europa League quarter final were things to build on rather than a managed decline whereby we'd all readily snatch your hand off for 17th place in the Premier League, but what do I know.

I don't sit here thinking "at least I'm not watching Paul McLoughlin". I curse the squandered opportunity.
I wasn't fucking patronising you or anyone else.

I try to understand why Fosun can't compete with the teams we tried to compete with. IMO, they have realised they'd have to spunk millions and millions on it and still not get anywhere. Sorry they spoiled you. You should be thankful for the good times. And yes, that is patronising you now.

Do you think? He spent his first few games blaming Lopetegui for everything. Then when we had a reasonable run he couldn’t wait to brag about how brilliant he was. So when he’s being very open in his interviews at that point he’s a “breath of fresh air”. Soon stopped sharing hasn’t he. I don’t understand the bit where people find him likeable the more I think about it. I think he’s an idiot
I do, yeah. At the very least he isn’t malicious in the ways Bruno could be. Always the chance it was just for the cameras but his speech after the Tottenham 2-1 comes to mind.

But there’s no doubt, as with the shoving blame onto Lop (which I was furious with regardless of the truth of it), when things are properly sideways he’s clueless. And being so shit for the last 25 odd league matches is all the rest you need to know, really.

I wasn't fucking patronising you or anyone else.

I try to understand why Fosun can't compete with the teams we tried to compete with. IMO, they have realised they'd have to spunk millions and millions on it and still not get anywhere. Sorry they spoiled you. You should be thankful for the good times. And yes, that is patronising you now.
You know it's quite possible to run a reasonable Premier League club and not spend £200m a year. They're not mutually exclusive.

Plenty of other comparable teams manage it.

Back