• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-2 Newcastle: Verdict Thread

At least he has pace. Doherty turns like a super tanker and has about as much speed. Our worst player by a country mile.
The only positive I can find from the Doherty performance is GON was livid with him in the Sky interview after the game. Although he didn't use him by name and only said the full back, he openly put the blame on the goal on him

I have no idea why we didn’t accept the bid for Hwang, particularly when he can’t make our first XI
The corporate boxes full of Koreans decked head to toe in half the club shop. The video walls advertising KFood, KTV ect ect for 90% of the match. That’s a couple of good reasons.

Why wouldn't you, if that's what you believe? We were ridiculously long late in the Saunders season when anyone going knew what was happening, I got stuck in.
Trouble is, it’s sits in your unsettled bets all season. I had to look at one I put on the Albion to go down. Which was annoying when they didn’t!

Semedo had a really tough game up against Gordon and he was clearly knackered when he was taken off but FUCK ME what a downgrade it was to bring on Matt Doherty. It's utterly ludicrous that he's in a Premier League squad in 2024, nevermind getting regular minutes. The goal was pathetic, his tracking back after Newcastle broke away from one of his shit long throws... Watch the extended highlights, he doesn't even get back into his own half. He is a fat, lazy, pathetic, waste of an XXL shirt. I must've said this a million times over the past 14 years but I never want to see him play for Wolves again. Off you fuck you fucking chancer.
The long throws. We have a set piece coach who must be training this into him and all we’re getting back in return is a Rory Delap from wish.com

The only positive I can find from the Doherty performance is GON was livid with him in the Sky interview after the game. Although he didn't use him by name and only said the full back, he openly put the blame on the goal on him
GoN has no right to be mad at Doc, he should know how shit he is and he still chose him in the squad.

The anger is all on his own shoulders and he needs to own that decision.

The long throws. We have a set piece coach who must be training this into him and all we’re getting back in return is a Rory Delap from wish.com
We've seen the Doherty long throws before, just big loopy efforts that hang in the air and are easy to defend against. Waste of time.

We've seen the Doherty long throws before, just big loopy efforts that hang in the air and are easy to defend against. Waste of time.

Yep Delap’s were flat and at pace, I think Pulis said that if they’d just been high and slow they’d never bothered with it.

It's hard to say 'keep playing like that and the points will come'

It’s also just not true. At no point under GON has it been true. The underlying numbers have never been good and even the good games/wins have been largely from chaos and shit going our way

If that’s us playing reasonably well under him - actually they outshot us and created about us much as us in terms of good chances - I think that’s why I think we are in big trouble.

It's really quite grim when you start to plot what our future looks like. As others have said, as long as we keep the main decision makers we have then championship football is when and not if. The only variable is time.
Sadly it’s like watching a car crash in ultra slow motion.

It’s also just not true. At no point under GON has it been true. The underlying numbers have never been good and even the good games/wins have been largely from chaos and shit going our way

If that’s us playing reasonably well under him - actually they outshot us and created about us much as us in terms of good chances - I think that’s why I think we are in big trouble.
I don’t think GO really knows how to set up a lower PL team. He’s trying to get us to play from the back and press like a top team but doesn’t have the players to do it. He’s tinkering all the time yet neglects the priority for teams that struggle to score which is to be solid defensively Week after week we concede loads of chances and never look like keeping a clean sheet. The one bright spot yesterday was Andre and he’ll make a difference out of possession but he won’t stop the stream of mistakes we make trying to play out from the back.

As you say last season a lot of wins came against the balance of play. Teams have now worked out how to play against us and I can’t see us getting those kind results again. The difference in approach of GO and our successful managers is stark. Bruno and Lop had a system and made players fit it and everyone in the team knew their role which primarily was to be as solid as possible. We never tried to dominate teams and press high as both managers knew it would be suicidal. Now we have 15 minute spells each half where we look quite good but the other hour is chaos.

Last edited:
Not seen this mentioned, but is Mosquera all that? Such a high variance player makes some great tackles and is physically strong, but every game there's something woeful such as the defending for the Gordon chance that hit the post / the defending on the Palmer goal v Chelsea / Havertz v Arsenal. If his distribution is better than Toti's then it's marginal. It's not that I can't see it, but very much WIP at best.

Not seen this mentioned, but is Mosquera all that? Such a high variance player makes some great tackles and is physically strong, but every game there's something woeful such as the defending for the Gordon chance that hit the post / the defending on the Palmer goal v Chelsea / Havertz v Arsenal. If his distribution is better than Toti's then it's marginal. It's not that I can't see it, but very much WIP at best.

Don't think he could've done much different against Palmer, he was left 2v1 against him and Jackson when Chelsea broke quickly, the flight of the ball favoured Jackson and there was too much space for him to be able to cover the pass the Palmer.

Can't picture his role in that Gordon chance but Semedo got absolutely left for dead by him on the touchline, easy spin round the outside of him and then just ran away when Semedo made a pathetic prod at the ball that killed his momentum and ended the chase.

I do think Mosquera looks a bit slow off the mark at times though, particularly against Chelsea Jackson got the drop on him numerous times. I'm not sure if it's a mental thing where he just doesn't react quick enough to opposition movement, whether he's a bit flat footed rather than on his toes or if he's just not got that explosive burst in him to spring away.

He's favourite for the ball over the top to Jackson, he then hesitates and lets him get to it

In any other situation I'd be taking a lot of positives from the performance as we really didn't deserve to lose yesterday but it's really though to see the bright side at the moment.

It's hard to say 'keep playing like that and the points will come' when the points just aren't coming. O'Neil seems to be stuck in a tactical rut, he's making some really strange decisions, can't seem to manage a game properly and isn't making the best of a very talented squad.

Lemina may have scored and generally had a decent game up until the equaliser but he can't be the option to play in the front line when you have Sarabia, Guedes, Rodrigo, Forbs & Hwang on the bench. When I saw the line up I hoped he'd gone for a 3 man midfield with a single pivot but he absolutely bottled it and played Lemina on the right. If he's going to persist with this shape then one of Lemina/André/João need to drop out. I know he's the captain but it'd definitely be Lemina IMO, his attempt at closing down Schär was almost as pitiful as his attempt to get behind the quick free kick for Chelsea's 3rd. He needs time out of the XI to get his head straight tbh because while he can be brilliant on the ball he's costing the team with stupid, lazy individual mistakes.

Semedo had a really tough game up against Gordon and he was clearly knackered when he was taken off but FUCK ME what a downgrade it was to bring on Matt Doherty. It's utterly ludicrous that he's in a Premier League squad in 2024, nevermind getting regular minutes. The goal was pathetic, his tracking back after Newcastle broke away from one of his shit long throws... Watch the extended highlights, he doesn't even get back into his own half. He is a fat, lazy, pathetic, waste of an XXL shirt. I must've said this a million times over the past 14 years but I never want to see him play for Wolves again. Off you fuck you fucking chancer.
I agree with a lot of this, but the bolded part I question. I think you can count the number of very talented players on one hand. I think we overestimate the quality of a lot of our players.

I agree with a lot of this, but the bolded part I question. I think you can count the number of very talented players on one hand. I think we overestimate the quality of a lot of our players.

At the very least, Cunha, Andre, Ait-Nouri, Gomes, Lemina and potentially Larsen should not be playing for a club in the bottom 3.

At the very least, Cunha, Andre, Ait-Nouri, Gomes, Lemina and potentially Larsen should not be playing for a club in the bottom 3.
So 5. Unless you're a mutant, that's one hand. Larsen, the jury is out, as there isn't enough evidence. To me he looks slow, although his movement is decent and his link up play ok. 1 goal in 4 games needs improvement.

Back