• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-2 Newcastle: Verdict Thread

I don't mind Mosquera - he still looks a little inexperienced but he is very aggressive in the way he goes after the ball both in transition and when it is at the opposing players feet and it is something we lack across the team.

Wins a lot of balls that you wouldn't expect him to.

He's favourite for the ball over the top to Jackson, he then hesitates and lets him get to it

Think the bounce swings the balance back in Jackson's favour having looked at it again, maybe Mosquera could've been more committed and still won it but could see why he'd rather hold his ground as last man. Perhaps isn't aware of where Palmer has gone off his shoulder and so doesn't realize that Jackson then has an easy pass rather than need to beat him 1v1 though.

Was noticable in that game how much Chelsea were on fast breaks than when they had sustained possession, obviously something they'd worked on with which restarts but it was far more effective than their primary tactic.

So 5. Unless you're a mutant, that's one hand. Larsen, the jury is out, as there isn't enough evidence. To me he looks slow, although his movement is decent and his link up play ok. 1 goal in 4 games needs improvement.

Yeah it was more an agreement with you

I don't mind Mosquera - he still looks a little inexperienced but he is very aggressive in the way he goes after the ball both in transition and when it is at the opposing players feet and it is something we lack across the team.

Wins a lot of balls that you wouldn't expect him to.
As a defender he is better than Kilman and he's far more athletic. Kilman's distribution is better which is the trade off.

I'd rather have Yerson and he looks so much better with Dawson beside him and Andre in front.

Last edited:
Lemina may have scored and generally had a decent game up until the equaliser but he can't be the option to play in the front line when you have Sarabia, Guedes, Rodrigo, Forbs & Hwang on the bench. When I saw the line up I hoped he'd gone for a 3 man midfield with a single pivot but he absolutely bottled it and played Lemina on the right. If he's going to persist with this shape then one of Lemina/André/João need to drop out. I know he's the captain but it'd definitely be Lemina IMO, his attempt at closing down Schär was almost as pitiful as his attempt to get behind the quick free kick for Chelsea's 3rd. He needs time out of the XI to get his head straight tbh because while he can be brilliant on the ball he's costing the team with stupid, lazy individual mistakes.
I said in the matchday thread it was very weird to see him lining up out there in that right inside channel, much like Nunes used to do for us. It was like a weird hybrid of 4-3-3/4-4-2 and we got over-ran in central midfield and down our left for a good 20 mins with that shape.

It looks great when Lemina pops up at the back post to score, but for the majority of the first half he was very poor on the ball and doesn't have the skills to play that role IMO. He started swapping with Cunha and coming more central, which is when I think we started to get on top of the game in the middle of the park and we could pin them back a bit more and be more aggressive getting numbers forwards.

I really don't want to see him there long term though. As you said it should be two of three if GON wants to stick with his double pivot, and I agree that Lemina is the most likely candidate to drop out, captain or not.

Rodrigo seems the best suited for that "mezzala" for want of a better term, role, as he naturally drifts inside and supports the back post in the box. Or at least he did in pre-season off the left. All that's assuming GON continues to play it, which I doubt. I think he just wanted to find a way of playing all three DMs and remembered pushing Lemina forwards at the end of last season with at least some level of success.

The only positive I can find from the Doherty performance is GON was livid with him in the Sky interview after the game. Although he didn't use him by name and only said the full back, he openly put the blame on the goal on him
Well stop putting him on the pitch then Gaz!

You would hope that would be the end of having to watch a Jogerty masterclass but I doubt it.

Well stop putting him on the pitch then Gaz!

You would hope that would be the end of having to watch a Jogerty masterclass but I doubt it.
Exactly. Play with fire, get burnt. It’s blindingly obvious that he’s miles short of what is needed from a PL player, he runs like a Sunday league veteran.

I was confused. But not as confused as the assistant referee apparently.

It’s the right call by the laws, refer you to the disallowed goal v Leicester in 2020.
If you’re in an offside position when the ball is played even backwards or you’re in front of the ball then you can be offside. The rules the arse not the decision.

It’s the right call by the laws, refer you to the disallowed goal v Leicester in 2020.
If you’re in an offside position when the ball is played even backwards or you’re in front of the ball then you can be offside. The rules the arse not the decision.
Cunha never gave the ball back after receiving so no offside.

The Leicester one was the ball being played back to the corner taker

Aye, you can't be offside off a corner and the flag went up off one pass. God knows what they were thinking.

Yep you’re right for some reason thought there were 2 passes,

So had we scored they’d have over turned it?
No doubt they’d have fucked it up to

Back