• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Aston Villa 3-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Blah blah... been here before. Bottom at Christmas. Survived.

5 games in. A long way to go yet.

First half we were generally good today. We just didn't make our dominance tell... usual story.

GON isn't getting sacked. At least not yet. We move on.
We're bottom of the fucking league, man.

By the way when we were "bottom at Christmas and survived":

a) There weren't the usual amount of games played by Christmas
b) There was a massive fucking gap where we effectively had a second pre-season
c) We attracted a manager on the basis that we would spend loads of money on improving a dysfunctional squad
d) We did spend that money

Riddle me this, how many of those four factors do you think will apply in 2024. Because I mean two don't, automatically.

I plumped for Sergio Conceicao during the week as a replacement , and I'm sticking to that . He's hot tempered and all of that , but we need to stay up come what may .
I think he's a Mendes client and he's free .

Would he come ? , well I thought Lopetegui wouldn't come and he did . They were happy to fire money in his direction then regardless of their prior reputation.......relegation seems to be a no no for them .

Villa provided the blueprint of how not to play against Wolves…and how to turn us over without breaking sweat. First half they didn’t press, allowed us to pass it around them. We looked decent but that was as much down to how they played as us. Second half they stepped on our toes all over the pitch and we fell apart.

I quite like GON but sometimes I think that’s just because I find it difficult to agree with Johnny75…but for me, he must go.

Simple fact Gaz you’re in charge of a side that was leading 1-0 on 75 minutes and 6 days later on 73 minutes. Minimum you should yield from that is 4 points you’ve got a big fat 0. Tends to point to your in game management is truly abysmal.

We're bottom of the fucking league, man.

By the way when we were "bottom at Christmas and survived":

a) There weren't the usual amount of games played by Christmas
b) There was a massive fucking gap where we effectively had a second pre-season
c) We attracted a manager on the basis that we would spend loads of money on improving a dysfunctional squad
d) We did spend that money

Riddle me this, how many of those four factors do you think will apply in 2024. Because I mean two don't, automatically.
Bottom of the league after 5 games.... not bothered. What matters is where we are next April / May.
Yes, I think we'll spend money in January. Not sure we will recruit the right defensive players though as that is our most pressing need.

I hinge my hope on the fact we have had some good first halves v Chelsea, Forest, Newcastle and Villa. We have shown we can play football and that we can compete. Stupid mistakes from the players and the coach have done for us. Seems a panic has set in among some supporters. Always the way when you lose. "He's gorra gew" crowd...

Back to the previously advertised programme.

Bottom of the league after 5 games.... not bothered. What matters is where we are next April / May.
Yes, I think we'll spend money in January. Not sure we will recruit the right defensive players though as that is our most pressing need.

I hinge my hope on the fact we have had some good first halves v Chelsea, Forest, Newcastle and Villa. We have shown we can play football and that we can compete. Stupid mistakes from the players and the coach have done for us. Seems a panic has set in among some supporters. Always the way when you lose. "He's gorra gew" crowd...

We're playing exactly like a team that's going to get relegated. Have a few games where we look 'ok' and fail to win. The games where we look ok will become fewer and further between.

Simple fact Gaz you’re in charge of a side that was leading 1-0 on 75 minutes and 6 days later on 73 minutes. Minimum you should yield from that is 4 points you’ve got a big fat 0. Tends to point to your in game management is truly abysmal.
Game management is one thing but what happens when you don't have adequate replacements on the bench for those who tire out? It's a combination of that and management IMO. Villa brought on Bailey. We had Guedes.

Would he? He'd put a leash on our creative players and have we got defenders who can shithouse/ close a game down in the way he likes? In a direct GON v Moyes comparison, I'd take him, but our defensive personell doesn't lend itself to someone coming in and keeping it tight.
True but hopefully Fosun would wise up and allow him to recruit a couple of defenders on 1 January.

Is it panic when you've won 1 out of 17 games?!

"Don't worry about that iceberg la, it's 20/10/5/2 miles away"

We're playing exactly like a team that's going to get relegated. Have a few games where we look 'ok' and fail to win. The games where we look ok will become fewer and further between.
We're 100%* going down under O'Neil. This team has no confidence and we have appalling tactics.

Cant win games without either control of the ball or control of the space.

*5% leeway for hyperbole

Game management is one thing but what happens when you don't have adequate replacements on the bench for those who tire out? It's a combination of that and management IMO. Villa brought on Bailey. We had Guedes.
You cannot blame Guedes. When he came on it was backs to the wall defending and he hardly got to see the ball.

Is it panic when you've won 1 out of 17 games?!

"Don't worry about that iceberg la, it's 20/10/5/2 miles away"
I'm more worried about none of out 5 this season. But, it is still early days and while I would have hoped for more than 1 pt, I'm not getting on the GON out bandwagon yet.

You cannot blame Guedes. When he came on it was backs to the wall defending and he hardly got to see the ball.
I wasn't blaming him. Merely pointing out the difference in quality and option available to change the game.

I'm more worried about none of out 5 this season. But, it is still early days and while I would have hoped for more than 1 pt, I'm not getting on the GON out bandwagon yet.
Based on what though.

Because we can't manage games, we can't keep the ball, we can't defend and we keep losing.

I plumped for Sergio Conceicao during the week as a replacement , and I'm sticking to that . He's hot tempered and all of that , but we need to stay up come what may .
I think he's a Mendes client and he's free .

Would he come ? , well I thought Lopetegui wouldn't come and he did . They were happy to fire money in his direction then regardless of their prior reputation.......relegation seems to be a no no for them .
I really like him too but it would be a bloody miracle to get him here.

Based on what though.

Because we can't manage games, we can't keep the ball, we can't defend and we keep losing.
As I said, I'm somewhat optimistic because we are at least creating opportunities.
We do keep the ball quite well at times, end of first half as an example, but it is when the pressure is really on that we don't have someone like Mouts to put a foot on it.

Defensively, we have defended well for 70 mins the last two weeks but then lose concentration, tire out and then the inevitable happens.

So, I have some confidence although it is diminishing. And, having been through this before and having seen us stay up and also be relegated, I don't get too worked up by it. There's always another game and by now, every Wolves fan should have realised that 7th place was our peak and that the Prem is not the Holy Grail. It's football. Clubs like ours go through good times and bad times. Mostly bad times.

Back