• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Aston Villa 3-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

“The things I’ve seen” is an argument that patently elevates your perspective over those who disagree.

This forum isn’t nearly so hostile as people make it out to be, I mean for Christ’s sake, I can’t even list the number of times I’ve been a Party of One on something, and yeah I get plenty of stick, but almost nobody ever pulls the least common denominator card of devaluing *all* of my opinions because there’s some shit in life I didn’t experience.

Your pedestal, blinders, and superiority complex aren’t constructive.
Up to you if you take my posts that way. I can't control that.
I just offer a different opinion based on what I see and feel.
I don't think Fosun are the source of all evil to do with WWFC and I don't think that GON is a shit manager... just yet.
I also don't take WWFC as seriously as some of you, quite clearly. Aldershot changed that.

Behave yourself. I’ve been going since 84 so I don’t need your implication that you have some kind of superior life experience just because you can’t seem capable of discerning between good and bad leadership.
See the response I gave the Right Honourable Gentleman in post 122.

Rule of thumb should be respond like the person is sat 2 feet away from you not from the safety of your keyboard, we’re going a bit off topic

Only saving grace is it wasn’t as far home as Wednesday. The first half was spot on even if i’m not sure what role Lemina is playing and we arguably could have been 2/3 up but once we weren’t you could feel what would happen and as the 2nd half continued you could see it happening.

Why he hasn’t got the bollocks to take Lemina off is baffling. He’s solved the hole infront of the back four with Andre but can’t see when it needs freshening up in there. Having players just aimlessly run around doesn’t help and that caused the equaliser with Lemina again sprinting around without any thought.

The changes he did make just didn’t make any sense and once again he’s been done by a manager willing to change a game and adapt when he can’t. He can say the games have been tough etc… but we’ve been in every single one we’ve lost until the opposition make changes and Gary has no clue.

Last thing, although it didn’t lose us the game the man in the middle was a disgrace. Just blatant different rules for both teams especially when it came to yellow cards. Gave us a couple of easy fouls to get us back on side and then proceeded to book us for what felt like every foul that was more than just a coming together.

Last thing, although it didn’t lose us the game the man in the middle was a disgrace. Just blatant different rules for both teams especially when it came to yellow cards. Gave us a couple of easy fouls to get us back on side and then proceeded to book us for what felt like every foul that was more than just a coming together.
Big time. No complaints with the bookings that RAN and Semedo got but Villa then did the same multiple times and nothing. Awful refereeing.

I will say that Gary did make a small tweak insofar as taking off Jørgen removed our central outlet and forced us to attempt to punt balls vaguely into the channels for Guedes, Cunha, et al to run onto, which is a tactic that hasn’t worked in the Prem for maybe more than a decade (actually, ironically, maybe more like since we came up under Nuno and made wingbacks sexy again).

I will say that Gary did make a small tweak insofar as taking off Jørgen removed our central outlet and forced us to attempt to punt balls vaguely into the channels for Guedes, Cunha, et al to run onto, which is a tactic that hasn’t worked in the Prem for maybe more than a decade (actually, ironically, maybe more like since we came up under Nuno and made wingbacks sexy again).
It could have worked if we had any semblance of composure in the middle of the field. Hold the ball for a few seconds and pick a decent pass giving Guedes a chance to get there, or just launch it down there for him to run after like a headless chicken from 30 yards away.

It could have worked if we had any semblance of composure in the middle of the field. Good the ball for a few seconds and pick a decent pass giving Guedes a chance to get there, or just launch it down there for him to run after like a headless chicken from 30 yards away.
In theory I don’t disagree but again I’d point at O’Neil; it was clear that Villa had worked out the lanes we wanted to pass through in order to break, and they consistently pressured us in midfield such that many of the inaccurate passes were forced (IMO) or we had to resort to dribbling past, which we’re pretty wretched at in our own third.

Gary needed to rework our pattern for breaking that press, but instead continued trying something Emery had already nullified.

Strand Larsen wasn't winning anything in the air or making anything stick anyway.

I am not sure if Strand Larsen is any good or not. He has shown some good things in flashes but too fleeting so far (some of it his fault some of it not) it remains to be seen if we are just not getting the best out of him or if he's just not that good.

The more you look at it the harder the case you make for us stopping up.
GON remains it’s a certain relegation.
Leaves tomorrow Hobbs and Shi fuck a new appointment.
Give GON until end of November, appointment is right but work remaining is to big a job so we go down.

Strand Larsen wasn't winning anything in the air or making anything stick anyway.

I am not sure if Strand Larsen is any good or not. He has shown some good things in flashes but too fleeting so far (some of it his fault some of it not) it remains to be seen if we are just not getting the best out of him or if he's just not that good.
This feels harsh to me but it’s still so early I can’t exactly form a coherent argument against it.

I dont see anything from Strand Larsen so far to say he's 'much good'. Slow, not particularly good in the air, movement reasonable, technically reasonable.
Not as good as Chris Wood, which isn't a particularly high bar.
I hope to be proved wrong.
And I'm fairly down in the dumps with our results currently.

Hard to tell. He’s had some good moments, but equally when he ran through towards goal in the first half I never thought he’d score at any point. Bit of a Doyle of a shot too.

Big time. No complaints with the bookings that RAN and Semedo got but Villa then did the same multiple times and nothing. Awful refereeing.
It was just ridiculous at times. Onana absolutely clattered Andre at one point and then made another foul straight after. First was definitely a yellow anyway but nothing for either and then booked Lemina for a nothing challenge a couple of minutes later. Incompetence maybe but with my tin foil hat on it looked like blatant cheating.

It was just ridiculous at times. Onana absolutely clattered Andre at one point and then made another foul straight after. First was definitely a yellow anyway but nothing for either and then booked Lemina for a nothing challenge a couple of minutes later. Incompetence maybe but with my tin foil hat on it looked like blatant cheating.
I thought Rogers was quite lucky to stay on the pitch too

Just back from the game - hit fucking soaked and fucking humiliated in equal measure.

As good as the first half was (Villa were shit, by the way) no football match has ever been won in 45 minutes and it was inevitable we were going to face a different Villa second half.

What I didn’t expect (maybe I should have) was for us to turn into a pub team who couldn’t tackle without fouling, pass in a straight line or to, suddenly, be devoid of any energy. It was a fucking disgrace.

Once the equaliser went in, you felt the life suck out of us fans instantly. It was then only going one way. We just knew. And Villa knew too. And so did their fucking fans.

Standing behind Ebanks-Blake was a highlight but even he fucked off when the third went in.

Not sure where Lemina was playing but I don’t think I like it. Not sure what Larsen is and I’m not sure I like it. Not sure R Gomes and S Bueno are suited for PL football and I definitely didn’t like it.

Fuck knows what GON said to them at half time. Maybe he should have put his ear to Villas door and listened to a proper manager.

It’s clear that GON cannot motivate these players and, tactically, he is finally being found out.

Results and the league table don’t lie.

Andre must be wondering what he’s doing here. He looked fucking unbelievable in some of the first half.

I hate Wolves tonight.

Back