• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Sheff Wed 0 - 1 Wolves: Verdict thread

And Costa running rings round their defence on the right of the area.

Really? not the Costa who (apparently) isnt playing very well but relieved pressure on us by doing that multiple times?....get away.

It seems that other teams see him as a weaker link, and target him, but that might be cos they don't want to try targetting Boly.

Also feels like we try to attack way more up Boly's side too. Or play starts around that side.

Also feels like we try to attack way more up Boly's side too. Or play starts around that side.

Because Douglas/Vinagre are way more productive than Doherty (who is doing ok, but still has worse crossing than Mo Camara)

Really? not the Costa who (apparently) isnt playing very well but relieved pressure on us by doing that multiple times?....get away.

He hasn't been playing very well though has he. Just because we are a very good side now doesn't mean we have to ignore the things that aren't quite right. Costa has had moments and looked to be hitting form but in the last few games has looked a little apprehensive at times and just a little slow. There's no harm in highlighting that and in the first 5 minutes of him coming on Friday it looked quite similar and then something clicked. He's still not anywhere close to the Costa of last season and when he does get back close to that we have a proper player ready to tear teams apart again but nothing wrong with saying he isn't there yet.

It does because Boly is more confident on the ball than Bennett but it often ends up on the right with Cav or Doherty.

It does because Boly is more confident on the ball than Bennett but it often ends up on the right with Cav or Doherty.

Teams are actively not pressing our right side because they think that Bennett will just give them the ball back anyway. Doesn't work out for them though because there's always an easy pass on at the back in our formation.

Teams are actively not pressing our right side because they think that Bennett will just give them the ball back anyway. Doesn't work out for them though because there's always an easy pass on at the back in our formation.

I agree with that and Friday showed Bennett is becoming more capable of finding better passes forward. Few times he broke a line or 2 by finding Cav and as mentioned his pass to Doc was quality.

I agree with that and Friday showed Bennett is becoming more capable of finding better passes forward. Few times he broke a line or 2 by finding Cav and as mentioned his pass to Doc was quality.

Shocking effort when he was played in on the corner of the box though. Two options and took neither.

You could swap him and Batth quite easily and it'd make no material difference. He's doing ok, so was Batth, so is Doherty, I want better than all of them.

Still got a big stupid hoof or two in him though. I'd much prefer Roderick or Hause alongside Coady/Boly but I'm not mad at Bennett at all. He's a top defender at this level really, a clear cut above Danny Batth.

Shocking effort when he was played in on the corner of the box though. Two options and took neither.

You could swap him and Batth quite easily and it'd make no material difference. He's doing ok, so was Batth, so is Doherty, I want better than all of them.

Disagree with that. Bennett is a far better centre half than Batth.

In what way though? Pace is about the same. Batth is better on the ball, Bennett is probably a bit stronger (though he shouldn't be, he isn't built as well as Danny). They're two peas in a pod, top half Championship head it and kick it merchants who look decent in a good team.

Bennett would have looked no better than Batth playing for us last season alongside Stears while he stroked his mane and had a good old beat on his chest.

Yes a poor effort, she should have gone for goal but i doubt he would have been in that position ever before in his career. I think Bennett is a better defender than Batth right now, much stronger and better at the dark arts which are sometimes needed. Danny still gets bullied far too often.

Still got a big stupid hoof or two in him though. I'd much prefer Roderick or Hause alongside Coady/Boly but I'm not mad at Bennett at all. He's a top defender at this level really, a clear cut above Danny Batth.

I agree again, i still think Hause has the potential to be a good Premier League defender, he has all the attributes and i'm a fan of Miranda who was unfairly criticised a lot of the time earlier in the season for me. I would say all the centre halves have been good this season whenever they have played.

Think Bennett just looks more solid. We haven’t looked like conceding in any of the games he’s played. Whether that’s just coincidence as Boly has been back in the team I don’t know.

Boly is definitely the difference.

P13 W10 D2 L1 F24 A6

Has Bennett played without Boly (excluding cup)

In what way though? Pace is about the same. Batth is better on the ball, Bennett is probably a bit stronger (though he shouldn't be, he isn't built as well as Danny). They're two peas in a pod, top half Championship head it and kick it merchants who look decent in a good team.

Bennett would have looked no better than Batth playing for us last season alongside Stears while he stroked his mane and had a good old beat on his chest.

Bennett is definitely faster than Batth. He's better in the tackle and at winning high balls as well but the major difference is his positioning/decision making and that's why Nuno picks him over Batth IMO. We've not limited our last 5 opponents to 2 or 3 clear cut chances combined just because Boly is a class player, we've done it because our defensive shape is so solid.

Ask yourself if you expect us to beat Ipswich on Saturday.

Then ask yourself if you'd still expect that to be the case if Bennett were unavailable and Batth had to play. I don't think anything would change.

The team as a whole has improved defensively, look at the amount of work Cav gets through these days.

Also two of our last three opponents are in the bottom four :icon_lol: Not that fair a comparison point. I think Batth was exceptional against Villa and Man City.

Ask yourself if you expect us to beat Ipswich on Saturday.

Then ask yourself if you'd still expect that to be the case if Bennett were unavailable and Batth had to play. I don't think anything would change.

The team as a whole has improved defensively, look at the amount of work Cav gets through these days.

Also two of our last three opponents are in the bottom four :icon_lol: Not that fair a comparison point. I think Batth was exceptional against Villa and Man City.

100% I would be less sure about victory if Batth was in ahead of Bennett. You're being extremely generous calling Batth a top half championship centre half IMO. He was an absolute disaster against Wednesday and that's hardly the first time he's let himself down. When has Bennett shown that kind of rank incompetence in a Wolves shirt?

A disaster :icon_lol:

Ok, R-Benz hardly covered himself in glory for Bolton's goal. I wouldn't have that off you down the park.

He passed the ball into Neves feet when he was under pressure and his next pass deflected into the striker. Wasn’t exactly a horror show. Yes he shouldn’t have given him the ball but Neves asked for it and he probably didn’t want to ‘hoof’ it as usual

Back