• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brighton 2-2 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Palace have only conceded 11 this season so far , impressive for a team that far down the table , they have only scored 5 mind you .

Weird turnaround for them seeing how well they finished last season. Couldn't stop scoring, and now they look quite poor.

He's saying he was caught in two minds in which one he should go with?

That's a normal human situation/emotion.

Of course he probably shouldn't be admitting this as a manager. But that's a different argument.
I’d rather a manager that follows his head not his heart.

As I said earlier - he literally went into detail on Friday about why a back five isn't a catch-all (and I actually agreed with most of what he said). He detailed why it was a bad idea to default to that regardless.

Then did it anyway.

I don't think it's one you can spin positively. It'd be like saying that I'm glad Sa kicked like a 3 year old (again) because at least then we conceded and then made the change. I mean I'd rather we just set up properly using the players we have that should be more than competent enough to stay in this division but I am a greedy bastard, I know.

we’ve not won the game so today wasn’t some kind of vindication for GON. He’s simply bought himself a week or two.
The situation is still horrendous, reality is he was one Brighton player not running it into the corner away from defeat again.
Positive today is the players can score goals and create chances and have shown character.

Wolves 2 - Swansea 2

Learn your lesson and sack him now before it's too late
An excellent observation. I loved MM but it was clear those two late goals were papering over huge gaps, just like today.

An excellent observation. I loved MM but it was clear those two late goals were papering over huge gaps, just like today.
Make no mistake, that Swansea game was way worse (not least as they were a fairly unheralded newly promoted team at the time, Brighton are recognisably levels above that) and way more poisonous than anything O'Neil has ever or will ever face.

But yeah, if we lose that game then Mick probably gets potted. Whether it would have made any difference or not, who knows.

What I would say is that I've seen us set up as we did in the first half today before. Loads. Under Mick.

He had about 10% of the budget that current day Wolves have, and he was much better at doing it. We shouldn't try it because a) we're better than that and b) we can't do it.

He's saying he was caught in two minds in which one he should go with?

That's a normal human situation/emotion.

Of course he probably shouldn't be admitting this as a manager. But that's a different argument.
No. It isn't. It's the exact argument.

“I know there'll be a lot made of the next games. They're not ‘must wins’"

Er, Gary Gary. I have some news for you. You might like to sit down.
Standard manager stuff trying to play it down. Nothing put the ordinary there.

No need to look further into things to create an issue, he gives us enough concrete sound bites as it is!

Not from what people have said above?

If people think he shouldn't have said that, I agree.

But him going through those thought processes he described is absolutely normal.
He’s not just taking responsibility though, he’s actually saying he didn’t think what he did - five at the back - would work. Yes he’s responsible but he’s also stupid and I’d rather not have a stupid manager in charge of my team.

He's saying he thinks he made a mistake? In a normal walk of life that's a quality, not something to be criticised?
It’s the type of mistake though. Based in sentiment, not logic. Essentially the lads were unlucky last week so I don’t want to drop any of them, even though I don’t think 5atb is the way to go. Looks weak leadership

They somehow fucked up a 4 on 1 and we went forward and scored a deflected equaliser seconds later, it's lucky as fuck
Meh, many of the goals we have conceded this season have had an element of luck/bad luck attributed to them, how many deflected goals have we conceded? They weren't flukes, it's just football.

Back