• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-3 Liverpool: Verdict Thread

Well you would hope against sides not as good as Liverpool we will have more of the ball and look after it better. Hopefully be able to use the squad a bit more with new players settled too. For all the negativity too and there was lots of things to improve on second half Liverpool weren’t battering us.

When do we get our points for not being battered by Liverpool?

There is potentially a decent amount of improvement to be had by switching out Kilman for Bueno and bringing in Sasa as the striker. We might actually score a few more

One thing that was really noticeable was how unfit we looked today.

It was Lage levels of fitness from the players. Not sure what's happening at the club but it isn't good.

Can't understand anybody that is saying we improved with the subs. We were shockingly poor with Silva up top and Doc on the right, nothing stuck, neither tracked back and nothing was created.

I'm sure GoN is a decent enough coach but he's never a manager in a million years.
Don’t see how the fitness is down to O’Neil unless they’re doing too much. Players have said intensity has gone up so it is interesting to see.

Well first 15/20 minutes of the second half we barely got across the half way line. After the subs and up until the 2nd goal we did actually improve slightly even if Doc and Fabio weren’t great. We had the chance where Neto had to put Fabio in, Semedo’s shot blocked by Matip’s arm tucked in and would have had another chance if Mr Oliver knew what a fair challenge was after Lemina won the ball back. That definitely wasn’t happening before the subs in the second half.

Limited Liverpool to 3 shots in that time too, 2 from distance and the Nunez chance that seemed to bounce to him that Sa did well to smother. They weren’t hammering the door down despite us looking a little leggy.

There is potentially a decent amount of improvement to be had by switching out Kilman for Bueno and bringing in Sasa as the striker. We might actually score a few more
He won't drop Kilman. He should. He won't.

When do we get our points for not being battered by Liverpool?
Well you don’t get points for that but positives are allowed to be mentioned. Individual errors are massive for us right now and it’s costing us big time. As i said i get negatives outweigh positives but that doesn’t mean you should ignore them.

Well you don’t get points for that but positives are allowed to be mentioned. Individual errors are massive for us right now and it’s costing us big time. As i said i get negatives outweigh positives but that doesn’t mean you should ignore them.
Individual errors tend to have worse consequences when you set up the entire team to play almost exclusively in your own half.

Don’t see how the fitness is down to O’Neil unless they’re doing too much. Players have said intensity has gone up so it is interesting to see.

Well first 15/20 minutes of the second half we barely got across the half way line. After the subs and up until the 2nd goal we did actually improve slightly even if Doc and Fabio weren’t great. We had the chance where Neto had to put Fabio in, Semedo’s shot blocked by Matip’s arm tucked in and would have had another chance if Mr Oliver knew what a fair challenge was after Lemina won the ball back. That definitely wasn’t happening before the subs in the second half.

Limited Liverpool to 3 shots in that time too, 2 from distance and the Nunez chance that seemed to bounce to him that Sa did well to smother. They weren’t hammering the door down despite us looking a little leggy.
If the training intensity is constantly high, it is absolutely on O'Neil. Training needs to be balanced to allow recovery otherwise you will get tired and leggy players. That's basic.

Individual errors are down to genuine lack of quality in those making them and will continue

If the training intensity is constantly high, it is absolutely on O'Neil. Training needs to be balanced to allow recovery otherwise you will get tired and leggy players. That's basic.

Overtraining shouldn't be happening. Everything is tracked by those vests now.

Individual errors tend to have worse consequences when you set up the entire team to play almost exclusively in your own half.
This happens time and time again in football, better team pushes the other back. Lack of quality on the ball meant we couldn’t get out enough and we probably were 5 yards too deep. It’s not always a managers decision, Liverpool’s set up caused that. As inexperienced as O’Neil is i’m not having that he said at half time sit really deep lads, don’t attack, give the ball away when you get it etc…

I can't imagine GON told them to play like that - they hadn't been in the first half.

The subs/changes Klopp made - basically throwing the kitchen sink at us and hoping for the best, pinned us back. I think Klopp actually got lucky, it wasn't genius from him, he just utilised his impressive squad, and it's a lot easier to do that with 5 subs.

Yeah that’s stating the obvious. What i’m saying is surely that can’t be the case… It’s always training isn’t intense enough when fitness gets questioned.

The definition of insanity is continually doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

That’s us.

Sa is shit. He costs us goals. Almost every week. Yes, he makes a few saves. But he’s a fucking goalkeeper that earns £50k a week - so he should. Most of them are with his feet too, like a pub five a side goalie.
But we obviously think he’s good enough and so haven’t replaced him. He isn’t.

Silva is shit. Diabolical. I’m not even sure he’s a footballer. He’s the slowest ever 20 year old footballer in history. He has no strength, no pace, no eye for goal and he’s lazy.
It’s the classic Emperors New Clothes.
But we don’t don’t sign another striker in the hope that our £30m investment will come good. He fucking won’t.

And now we’re managed by a bloke who is horrendously unfit for purpose. Lage all over again. No tactical nous, blames every game on the amount of chances we waste and don’t score.
You fucking coach them, Gary.

We haven’t made the right changes (including the manager) and now we’re stuck watching this crap until January. Hoping it will change. It won’t.

I was praying for Spurs to equalise in their game today. Five games in and I’m praying other results already go our way.

How depressing.

Overtraining shouldn't be happening. Everything is tracked by those vests now.
Well I guess that depends on how good the people monitoring it are at making use of the data. We have a lot of inexperience in the coaching department, maybe they are overdoing things to try and get their message across since they didn't have an off-season with the players? I'm sure it shouldn't be the case, but that doesn't mean it isn't.

Seemed to me the first 15/20 minutes of the second half was a pure tactical decision to cope with Liverpool going 4-2-4 with Robertson also overloading our right hand side.

GoN seemed utterly shell shocked and credit to Klopp it was good management at a time his team needed it. It showed the gulf in class between the two men, and rightly so given their relative experience and ability.

I thought it was after we conceded the 2nd we then threw more caution to the wind and tried to play as we did in the first half without the quality on the pitch.

GoN doesn't seem to have the ideas to change a game or manage one effectively. Whatever he says at HT really isn't working, that's 3 second half shellackings he's overseen.

This happens time and time again in football, better team pushes the other back. Lack of quality on the ball meant we couldn’t get out enough and we probably were 5 yards too deep. It’s not always a managers decision, Liverpool’s set up caused that. As inexperienced as O’Neil is i’m not having that he said at half time sit really deep lads, don’t attack, give the ball away when you get it etc…
But that does look like that's exactly what happened. He did it at Palace too when we scored.

Individual errors are down to genuine lack of quality in those making them and will continue
Yes i know that so don’t really understand the point you’re making. As i said this team isn’t Nuno’s the players aren’t as good. Errors will be made and we’re more than likely to be beat now against the better sides as frustrating as that is. I’m fucking pissed off especially with that second goal which was our own doing and has cost us a point and so i’ve got to look at the positives that were there. We’ve created chances in the first half to win the game, i’ve got to have some hope that is something we can take in to our next few games.

Back