• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-3 Liverpool: Verdict Thread

Just on O’Neil i think the reaction to his comments are bizarre, like a validation that you think he’s shit so will take it that way. Been done to death but we all know not one fan would have chosen him and in all likelihood we’ll be looking for another manager this season but I don’t understand how it seems 95% of fans can’t be open minded on comments/decisions etc…

His comment regarding not being judged originally came from Joe Cole and they were basically saying where we finish will generally come down to how we play against “the other 14” which it definitely is. Beat the teams around you and you’ll finish above them and then hopefully you play well and take points against the best teams. We aren’t the team Nuno had in the first 2 seasons and we need to realise that, again some are finding it hard to do.

In his other press conference he basically outlined the plan which was executed perfectly in the first half. Second half it wasn’t but that was down to a combination of things, Liverpool going 424, our players tiring, our forward players being too far apart and none of them holding it up. Subs look odd but i think we actually improved slightly with them ( i would have brought Sasa on) and started to get out again, get a couple of passes right and we have good chances and with a different ref we might have too. Possibly could have gone to a back 5 against the 4 to cut down on the amount of ground to cover but can also see why he didn’t.

As O’Neil has said we then caused chaos with our decision making for the 2nd goal something they have spoken about, being less chaotic and more predictable until they get to the final third. That’s a fair way of looking at it but we’ve got a long way to go.

In short, well set up first half and should have been 2 up. Always going to have less of the ball in the 2nd but didn’t look after it enough when we had it but weren’t being battered. Sa then does something stupid and we don’t react and the game was gone. The first half has to be a blueprint going forward, there are positives and we desperately need to see more of them from next week.

I’m not sure anyone is expecting or has said they expect Nuno levels of results and performances.
Unfortunately one half of good football is pattern not a one off, highlights huge mental weaknesses and genuine lack of leadership.
11 goals against in 5 games is huge concern and should it continue it’ll almost certainly see us go down.

One thing that was really noticeable was how unfit we looked today.

It was Lage levels of fitness from the players. Not sure what's happening at the club but it isn't good.

Can't understand anybody that is saying we improved with the subs. We were shockingly poor with Silva up top and Doc on the right, nothing stuck, neither tracked back and nothing was created.

I'm sure GoN is a decent enough coach but he's never a manager in a million years.

The first half has to be a blueprint going forward, there are positives and we desperately need to see more of them from next week.

Any manager who's come up from the Champ playing decent football can get a team to play well in the PL for one half, it's hanging on/extending leads/reacting to opposition changes that's the tricky part.

You're right, there were positives, but it's not a blueprint for a whole game, unless the opposition managers are just going to let us play (they won't) and we're fit enough to do it for 90 mins (we aren't)

I’m not sure anyone is expecting or has said they expect Nuno levels of results and performances.
Unfortunately one half of good football is pattern not a one off, highlights huge mental weaknesses and genuine lack of leadership.
11 goals against in 5 games is huge concern and should it continue it’ll almost certainly see us go down.

Well it's an improvement on the 11 we conceded in 2 games last year. Baby steps.

On the subs: Liverpool had pushed Robertson further forward and Hwang wasn't tracking him leaving Semedo isolated. The choice was go more attacking and push Robertson back or bring on a defensive player to try to cope with him. Who did we have to do the former? Sarabia? No thanks. That didn't really leave much other choice but Doc. Far from ideal, but not sure how else he could have handled the Liverpool change?

One thing that was really noticeable was how unfit we looked today.

It was Lage levels of fitness from the players. Not sure what's happening at the club but it isn't good.

Can't understand anybody that is saying we improved with the subs. We were shockingly poor with Silva up top and Doc on the right, nothing stuck, neither tracked back and nothing was created.

I'm sure GoN is a decent enough coach but he's never a manager in a million years.

Agreed, fitness doesn't look upto scratch.

Every player has commented on the increased intensity under O'Neil.

Makes me wonder what was happening in pre season, can't really blame Lopetegui for mailing it in when he knows he's fucking off.

Well it's an improvement on the 11 we conceded in 2 games last year. Baby steps.

Ignoring the facetiousness, Lop's job had obviously been done at that point. We weren't conceding shit loads during games that mattered.

The circumstances are totally different now and our leaking goals is a big issue, when you combine it with our paucity in front of goal

Ignoring the facetiousness, Lop's job had obviously been done at that point. We weren't conceding shit loads during games that mattered.

The circumstances are totally different now and our leaking goals is a big issue, when you combine it with our paucity in front of goal

It's likely to continue until Captain Timid is removed.

Think he's been partially at fault for about 8 of the goals conceded.

With any luck we can start to phase Santi in from now, although I think Max seems quite ingrained in the team by the looks of it

We became totally passive in the second half while Liverpool became more aggressive and ghe game turned..not the first time we gave done that

Any manager who's come up from the Champ playing decent football can get a team to play well in the PL for one half, it's hanging on/extending leads/reacting to opposition changes that's the tricky part.

You're right, there were positives, but it's not a blueprint for a whole game, unless the opposition managers are just going to let us play (they won't) and we're fit enough to do it for 90 mins (we aren't)
Well you would hope against sides not as good as Liverpool we will have more of the ball and look after it better. Hopefully be able to use the squad a bit more with new players settled too. For all the negativity too and there was lots of things to improve on second half Liverpool weren’t battering us.

With any luck we can start to phase Santi in from now, although I think Max seems quite ingrained in the team by the looks of it
He's captain!

Neves used to argue too much with the ref for my liking, but I don't recall Max doing it as much as once?

Back