• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-2 Liverpool: Verdict Thread

I'm not sure gentrified is the right word, but our fanbase is older and relatively more affluent than it used to be. It would be toxic in a comparable situation 20 years ago. Look at Mick against Swansea with way more credit in the bank than GON, Shi or Hobbs have. There's just not that angst there now, or of there is it takes a lot more to bring it out.

That sometimes worked against us too, Wolves and West Ham were the 2 clubs Championship teams said to keep tight against for 20 minutes and the fans will turn.
Definitely got patient as it has got older. There is certainly an atmosphere of getting behind the players rather than criticising but I think when it snaps it will snap and not come back
I think we're approaching that with GoN.

But I'm still baffled by the lack of anything aimed at Shi considering the issues that he has caused on the pitch and off it.

As a complete aside I didn't see a single Liverpool fan in the SB but you could tell they were in the NB and Steve Bull with the lights on their phones. Wankers.

“Size” of a club is so malleable anyway. There are obviously limits (Luton were going to need a miracle to keep up Prem level spending for example), but by and large you’re as big as the league you’re in, IMV.

Perhaps they’re less critical because they’ve come here on a day trip from Seoul and if those pesky legacy fans who’ve followed us for no reason for years were there it’d be a bit more directed to the owners

I didn't say we were.

I said there's no such thing as established.
You certainly insinuated it... "No club of our size is ever established"...

And then listing clubs including the aforementioned. If it wasn't your intention then fair enough, but that's how it read.

"And where are they now?" as if those clubs expected to be at the top table forevermore. I don't think they did.

Furthermore, I think most Wolves fans know that outside the big six, no one's safe. Even West Ham, Newcastle and Villa have relatively recently been relegated.

Fortunes can change very quickly due to poor management and bad luck. It hasn't been quick for Wolves, we've been looking over our shoulders since Nuno left really - the start of the poor management.

"And where are they now?" as if those clubs expected to be at the top table forevermore. I don't think they did.
My point there was that if you disappear, you aren't necessarily coming back. Apologies if that wasn't clear.

Bloke on Facebook quoting opta stats that prove we’ll be ok and that losing the games we have is absolutely fine as it’s just expected.
Attitude is it’ll improve in November once the fixtures get easier. Also brought up the supercomputer we had on here the other day to show we’ll be fine.
Kind of pointed out to him football is human game not a simulation and humans do unpredictable things. Also pointed out the mental affect of spending most your games losing until November has on a player/players.

I didn’t cheer maybe clapped a little when we equalised, the mood I find myself in with the inevitable about to happen next May.

Bloke on Facebook quoting opta stats that prove we’ll be ok and that losing the games we have is absolutely fine as it’s just expected.
Attitude is it’ll improve in November once the fixtures get easier. Also brought up the supercomputer we had on here the other day to show we’ll be fine.
Kind of pointed out to him football is human game not a simulation and humans do unpredictable things. Also pointed out the mental affect of spending most your games losing until November has on a player/players.
I imagine the list of teams who win 1 out of 16 and then go on to win say, 6 out of 10 is a very short one.

I imagine the list of teams who win 1 out of 16 and then go on to win say, 6 out of 10 is a very short one.
Oh he’s a special one boast that he does well in the fantasy league and betting due to him studying opta stats therefore makes him better informed and his opinion is far more valid. Also blames PSR and UEFA for our lack of cash. GON is loved by many apparently and highly admired and sack him is pointless due to cost and lack of funds plus no one wants to live in Wolverhampton.
As you can imagine there’s loads who actually think he talks sense.

Oh he’s a special one boast that he does well in the fantasy league and betting due to him studying opta stats therefore makes him better informed and his opinion is far more valid. Also blames PSR and UEFA for our lack of cash. GON is loved by many apparently and highly admired and sack him is pointless due to cost and lack of funds plus no one wants to live in Wolverhampton.
As you can imagine there’s loads who actually think he talks sense.
He blames PSR even though Jeff said a couple of days ago that we were never in any bother financially?

Interesting that people are suggesting the fans are less verbally critical because they're older and a bit more understanding. Is that a sign the fan base is ageing for attending live games? Does that mean live football as we know it is on its way out longterm?
God I hope not re "live football as we know it is on its way out longterm?"

Having rewatched and edited the matches from season 2020/21 it was absolutely appalling the lack of atmosphere. Despite all the wank seasons Wolves have had (and there's been a few including 2024/25) 2020/21 was soulless and passionless, something I'd never want to see again in my lifetime.

Interesting that people are suggesting the fans are less verbally critical because they're older and a bit more understanding. Is that a sign the fan base is ageing for attending live games? Does that mean live football as we know it is on its way out longterm?
I've thought that for a while, too expensive for younger people to go (and get hooked) so the conveyor belt of fans dries up. Football is eating itself

I've thought that for a while, too expensive for younger people to go (and get hooked) so the conveyor belt of fans dries up. Football is eating itself
Not sure its just the cost, I just don't think younger people have the same interest in investing so much time in something which there is no guarantee of success or even fun for long periods.

God I hope not re "live football as we know it is on its way out longterm?"

Having rewatched and edited the matches from season 2020/21 it was absolutely appalling the lack of atmosphere. Despite all the wank seasons Wolves have had (and there's been a few including 2024/25) 2020/21 was soulless and passionless, something I'd never want to see again in my lifetime.
Oh I agree but I'm not sure younger people care as much. They've got loads of stuff to spend their money and time on which is much easier to access.
Sorry to be the harbinger of doom.

Not sure its just the cost, I just don't think younger people have the same interest in investing so much time in something which there is no guarantee of success or even fun for long periods.
I think this bit is hugely exacerbated by how little input supporters have.

Losing sucks shit when the only recourse is shouting into the void (or forum, as the case may be).

Back