• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-2 Liverpool: Verdict Thread

Not sure its just the cost, I just don't think younger people have the same interest in investing so much time in something which there is no guarantee of success or even fun for long periods
It's multi faceted.
Cost is the biggest barrier
For the last 7 years so has been availability and spontaneity. You might get a ticket, but it needs to be pre planned and unlikely to be with your mates.

I don't think it has anything to do with success or time. Look further down the pyramid, the demographic is the same as it ever was. I could name 20 kids who go to every Derby home game, who are 16/17. It's a PL problem, which Wolves have bought in to.

It's multi faceted.
Cost is the biggest barrier
For the last 7 years so has been availability and spontaneity. You might get a ticket, but it needs to be pre planned and unlikely to be with your mates.

I don't think it has anything to do with success or time. Look further down the pyramid, the demographic is the same as it ever was.
Oh yeah, cost is an issue, as is availability I agree but I do believe the success and and the amount of time invested in being a football supporter is going to put off younger people putting the 'hours in' at the start of their supporter journey.

With younger people it's not just the cost, but the knowledge that nowadays the technology exists whereby any one can watch games through various other sources, even if that's not entirely legal.

20 years ago, going along to the games was the only option if you wanted to follow your team. Now it's more of an expensive day out like a gig or family cinema trip. It's become a luxury outing, and no longer something which is regularly accessible.

Oh yeah, cost is an issue, as is availability I agree but I do believe the success and and the amount of time invested in being a football supporter is going to put off younger people putting the 'hours in' at the start of their supporter journey.
As I said, I have first hand experience that's not the case at Derby. Lads still go with their mates, it's really nothing to do with what you are suggesting. It's the PL

Cost means pre planning as does availability, the beauty of football attendance was that you could still decide on the morning of the game whether you were going or not and could purchase at the ground.

As I said, I have first hand experience that's not the case at Derby. Lads still go with their mates, it's really nothing to do with what you are suggesting. It's the PL
That may be true but I'm not talking about now, more the future.

I still disagree, teenagers will want to go to games as much as they ever have. It's something of a right of passage, bonding, being with your mates, the identity of your City (appreciate none of that applies to what I've done to my son). None of that will go away unless football takes it from them.

I still disagree, teenagers will want to go to games as much as they ever have. It's something of a right of passage, bonding, being with your mates, the identity of your City (appreciate none of that applies to what I've done to my son). None of that will go away unless football takes it from them.
We'll see, I hope you're right, it's just an observation from what I've seen at games and also following my boys and grandkids around junior football.
Of course the way football is run isn't hoping to help.

The point Tony is making, is that if Derby get promoted, due to the cost those lads going to games together will fall away as Derby buy into the PL fallacy of limitless demand.

You're right in your observation but i'd wager it's limited to the 14 or so clubs who have always been in the PL or the novelty of the Premier League has worn off.

The point Tony is making, is that if Derby get promoted, due to the cost those lads going to games together will fall away as Derby buy into the PL fallacy of limitless demand.

You're right in your observation but i'd wager it's limited to the 14 or so clubs who have always been in the PL or the novelty of the Premier League has worn off.
Well yes, as I said the cost is an issue, I'm not disagreeing with that, but youngsters have more options to spend their money than I did and even my grown up kids. The Premier league will kill the goose if they're not careful with cost and removing some of the spontaneity. Mind you lower league football is not not exactly cheap.

In terms of historic Wolves keepers, or generally?

I don't think José Sa or Sam Johnstone would get in my top 5 Wolves keepers right now, given context. I mean Sa is quite obviously better than Mark Kendall was but a) he was a massive downgrade on what we had and b) he's brought nothing to the club in the way that Kendall did, he's just an annoying cunt of a keeper. And Johnstone is a less eccentric version of the same thing.

I'll have Kendall, Mike Stowell, Matt Murray, Wayne Hennessey, Rui Patricio, John Ruddy and Marcus Hahnemann over either of them all things considered.
I will go with Phil Parkes!

I will go with Phil Parkes!
You obviously jest - at least you didn’t mention Alan Boswell.

Lofty was a great character and well-loved by his team-mates but he was prone to a few errors. When he was good he could be very good but it wasn’t that often.

The late Paul Bradshaw was the best Wolves keeper during the 70s.

As a complete aside I didn't see a single Liverpool fan in the SB but you could tell they were in the NB and Steve Bull with the lights on their phones. Wankers.
I saw stewards approach a couple of fans in the South Bank and take them away during they game. Looked like we'd employed a few bouncer type ones instead of school leavers to undertake the job.

Always baffles me the sheer amount of fans that spend more time in the concourse drinking. Whether it be heading up during the game, or not returning after halftime. See the same faces for years, so they're all season ticket holders. Guess they fancy watching it on TV with a pint rather than live. I had one guy tell me after "that" Neves goal "you should have seen it on the TV" when he returned to his seat by me.

When I was 16 in 1979 I was on 40 pounds week my junior season ticket for the south bank was 10, so it cost a quarter of a first year apprentices weekly pay. Now it’s probably over an average weeks salary for an adult. Mind you it was a good year to get my first season ticket Barnwells army and all that.

Back