• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-2 Liverpool: Verdict Thread

Ridiculous to compare Nuno, Mick, Dave Jones or O'Neil.
Different times, different squad and different opposition.
Besides the laws of the game have been changed.
It's a daft argument.
What would Bill McGarry have made of this squad and league? 😂
Mick McCarthy would have killed one or two of this current squad by now.

I suppose Brighton may buck the trend,re established.

In terms of historic Wolves keepers, or generally?

I don't think José Sa or Sam Johnstone would get in my top 5 Wolves keepers right now, given context. I mean Sa is quite obviously better than Mark Kendall was but a) he was a massive downgrade on what we had and b) he's brought nothing to the club in the way that Kendall did, he's just an annoying cunt of a keeper.
One used to show us his arse, the other just is one.

I think our PL stint is similar to what Swansea had. First couple of seasons really caused some problems for the big boys then just gradually declined season by season and appointed poor head coaches, caught them out in the end.
It's a good comparison. Similar hubris of we're running our club the right way and you just don't understand. And sacking an objectively good manager in Laudrup for a novice who happened to also be a cunt in Monk, like we did with Nuno and Lage.

It's a good comparison. Similar hubris of we're running our club the right way and you just don't understand. And sacking an objectively good manager in Laudrup for a novice who happened to also be a cunt in Monk, like we did with Nuno and Lage.
Yep I think they lost a lot of the squad relegated to.

The parallels are quite stark when you lay them out like that.

Eugh, gives me a sinking feeling.

An inexplicable season for a player (Michu/Adama) that neither would ever look like matching again…

A winger (Sinclair/Neto) sold to a big club to likely waste away…

Too bad we don’t have a Leon Britton analogue.

Not sure the Swansea comparison is that accurate until their American owners came in (2016). Sacking Laudrup was the right decision, he was already mentally gone, form had gone bad, and they did well under Monk in the following season. I actually think it goes wrong when they sacked Guidolin for going on a run of one point from a tough set of opening fixtures, whereas we are giving O'Neil time. In their final two seasons they had Guidolin, Bradley (yikes), Clement, and Carvahal as their coaches and were essentially a disorganised rabble without much sense of identity, players that didn't fit in any cohesive style, and anyone good was getting sold. I'm quite worried we will end up like them if we drop to the Championship.

On Wolves: I thought we were crap. No urgency. No desire to attack. A plucky defeat by one goal is all well and good but if Liverpool had needed to score again, they would have. We didn't threaten them and it was very easy. Arm's length. Johnstone isn't any good, seems to be worse than Sa if anything. Hwang is also such a comically substandard footballer, might as well have brought nobody on at all. He's always utter rubbish against Liverpool for some reason too, they probably think we brought in some bloke from the park. We concede so many soft goals, all the time. O'Neil clearly cannot coach a defence.

Team reeks of relegation.

Au contraire my friend

View attachment 11776
In the late 80s while descending Haystacks in the Lakes I had to let a bloke climb up past me. When he’d gone my Dad told me he was famous and I’d have seen him regularly on TV. Thought I’d nailed it with my guess of ‘the bloke from the Hamlet cigar ad’, but turns out it was old Leon. Remembering this is way better than remembering this evenings match.

The pointlessness passing in triangles in our own half with 5 minutes to go was genius stuff. Sorry lads time for keep possession has gone and you need to least gain some territory. I think G Neville saw pretty much what we’re tonight and that’s fodder.

No club of our size is ever established.

Look at the 2006/07 PL, contains:

Blackburn
Bolton
Charlton
Middlesbrough
Portsmouth
Reading
Sheff Utd
Watford
Wigan

Yeah, and where are they now.
I get your point but suggesting Charlton, Pompey, Watford, Wigan and Fucking Reading... READING FFS are "clubs of our size" is just bollocks,

Back