• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter Transfer Thread (And Summer Free Transfers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No we don't need a CB, however it'd be nice to have five good CBs competing for the three spots.

Bennett and Hause are out of the picture for now, and we know Batth isn't likely to be good enough long-term. If we get a chance at someone good in January I'd take it.

A right back and a striker will do us, we could probably shed another couple of players as well without really being affected.

No we don't need a CB, however it'd be nice to have five good CBs competing for the three spots.

Bennett and Hause are out of the picture for now, and we know Batth isn't likely to be good enough long-term. If we get a chance at someone good in January I'd take it.

If someone exceptional turns up then yeah but it's not going to happen so the centre backs we have now are more than good enough and imo Miranda, Boly, Hause and maybe Coady could step up to the Premier League quite easily.

Boly yeah, the other three are maybes at best, I think.

Competition for Doherty is priority for me unless Phil is up and running by then. Someone to compete with Leo would be nice too although we have shown we can play well without him

Just wonder whether we are all getting ahead of ourselves

Only 12 games in - it's going really well & no reason why we can't do it, but it's not done yet

There are still gaps re cover (RWB & striker are the most obvious) though at this stage of the season we shouldn't be looking to max out the credit card on players for the Premier league (though we have one or two who will be able to go straight into that without breaking sweat)

We are lucky to have the likes of Neves and Jota here who are obviously way above Championship standard - and stand out because of it.

It's folly to think you can go signing tons of these players while we're at this level. So when you have an area that for the current division is well stocked in both numbers AND quality - there's simply no need to be wasting time and energy in what would likely be a vain attempt at improving it. Whereas we don't have numbers elsewhere.

How have we got to a point where we want another centre half (to add to our existing EIGHT) more than we want another dedicated central striker to add to the one we currently have?! :icon_lol: The world's gone mad Jerry.

No-one is suggesting we want a CB more than a striker.

And I stand by that.

How have we got to a point where we want another centre half (to add to our existing EIGHT) more than we want another dedicated central striker to add to the one we currently have?! :icon_lol: The world's gone mad Jerry.

And just the one forward who isn't good enough too... ;)

Didn't see that. Alan's gonna be Alan.

It's certainly not a priority. Assuming Hause can come in and do ok.

Hause is a good defender at this level, he has shown that. In a shit team that didn't even play to his strengths he did very well last season. He was the first choice centre back in the end. He has all the tools to be a good Premier League player too, but then I have always thought this of him

For this season I think we only need RWB strengthening and thatwould be a loan unless we find the right player. Can see us getting a striker in on loan too whilst making Vinagre and Jota permanent.

I think the squad we have now is good enough to go up as it is.

Alan, why do you feel centre half is a more pressing priority than a centre forward in January?

Because I think we have enough players of a certain quality to fill any of the front three roles than we do at CB for those roles. Our promising youth prospects are also all not defenders, so we don't have to worry about stunting the growth of any of them by buying a quality CB.

We may have a bunch of CBs on the books right now but it and RWB are the two positions on the field where IMO we don't maintain acceptable quality of backups.

RWB is the only position we are screwed with one injury, that has to be the priority. As we have seen over the last 2 games we can play without Bonatini, but he offers something different so if can get someone as good or better than him then great. We have a strong squad, what we absolutely don't need is players for the sake of it. I'd like to see Ronan go out on loan, ideally to a bottom 6 Championship side, he needs to play and won't be anything other than a bit part player for us unless injuries/suspensions really bite.

Because I think we have enough players of a certain quality to fill any of the front three roles than we do at CB for those roles. Our promising youth prospects are also all not defenders, so we don't have to worry about stunting the growth of any of them by buying a quality CB.

We may have a bunch of CBs on the books right now but it and RWB are the two positions on the field where IMO we don't maintain acceptable quality of backups.

RWB I agree with as who knows when Ofusu-Ayeh will be back near fitness.

CH we have Miranda-Coady-Boly as probably first choice back 3, with Batth (who has played well this season) Bennett, Hause, and then Deslandes & Saiss who can slip in there in a real emergency. More than enough cover for the Championship

CF we have Bonatini, and then Wilson. Jota and Cav can play through the middle but they are much more effective wider, so playing them centrally would take away from our attack.

We are potentially screwed without Bonatini. Playing Cav/Jota/Costa won't work in some games. It didn't really against Villa, needed Leo in.

RB + ST in Jan. Rest in Summer!

If we can't get one that's basically PL ready (ala Jota, Neves) then I wouldn't bother. There's no point in buying back up to Bonatini when Cav can play there (yeah, we didn't score first half vs Villa, but with the amount of ball we were having it was a matter of time), The Duck could probably do a job in the odd game too when Leo needs a rest.

Doc is getting better but I'd still like a better version tbh. And I would also like Coady upgraded on but probably not this window unless a deal we can't say no to passes across Kev's desk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back