• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

£21m… jeez

I guess we never had any intention of selling him because we had no plan of how to replace him. That said, Burnley wanted £40m for a certain winger we were interested in, so maybe £21m is short for Channy. Honestly I have no idea any more.
Would have to sell for £40m+ to enable a 10-15m replacement

£21m… jeez

I guess we never had any intention of selling him because we had no plan of how to replace him. That said, Burnley wanted £40m for a certain winger we were interested in, so maybe £21m is short for Channy. Honestly I have no idea any more.
Hwang had one of those freak seasons last year where he probably scored twice as many goals as he’ll ever get again in the PL. He’s a possession vacuum that gives the ball away cheaply time after time. I’d have happily taken a punt on Morgan Whittaker as a replacement.

Hwang had one of those freak seasons last year where he probably scored twice as many goals as he’ll ever get again in the PL. He’s a possession vacuum that gives the ball away cheaply time after time. I’d have happily taken a punt on Morgan Whittaker as a replacement.
Great shout, tbf. Can't believe no one else hasn't mentioned him.

Is Morgan Whittaker the new Talisca or something?

He is a championship player who might make the step up but people are dropping him into conversation as if he is 23 year old Arjen Robben. All seems massively overhyped.

Is Morgan Whittaker the new Talisca or something?

He is a championship player who might make the step up but people are dropping him into conversation as if he is 23 year old Arjen Robben. All seems massively overhyped.
Jinky said we probably had no plan of how to replace him. Given MW was reportedly available for £14m I think he’d have been worth a punt. His all round game can’t be worse than Hwang’s and he seems like Hwang to have an eye for goal.

His name certainly has had a few mentions.

His eye for goal is entirely at a lower level though. I'm not seeing a lot to convince me he is going to make the jump easily. That's probably the punt bit though. Maybe someone higher up the table picks him up in January.

Jinky said we probably had no plan of how to replace him. Given MW was reportedly available for £14m I think he’d have been worth a punt. His all round game can’t be worse than Hwang’s and he seems like Hwang to have an eye for goal.
Hwang is a centre forward.

It's on GoN making him look complete rubbish by playing him wide. A position he just isn't suited to for all the reasons you have outlined.

Whittaker is more like Sarabia but tall. Quite a skillful creative player who can ping a ball but didn't have great pace or defensive ability to press which GoN is valuing as a prerequisite for his players.

I like Whittaker and think as an inside forwards/ 10 off the right he'd be a good player, not in a 4-3-3 gegenpress/ murderball style which GoN wants to implement.

If he was, he'd have been signed by now.
I don't think this is true, I think it's more about opportunity. He's similar in style to Cole Palmer but needs a team he fits. I am a little surprised Palace weren't in for him as an Olise replacement.

They went with Sarr instead, which I found odd as he's nothing like Olise.

If Hwang scores 10+ this season I will piss all my pants.
I hope he does, it means we'll be winning games.

I don't think anybody doubts that he can score goals but his play elsewhere is somewhat lacking in ability above Lg1.

There are quite a few exceptional moments though.

His goals v Newcastle and Brentford in particular were excellent.

I hope he does, it means we'll be winning games.

I don't think anybody doubts that he can score goals but his play elsewhere is somewhat lacking in ability above Lg1.
I've given up trying to work him out.

Watched the Leipzig game and it was as good as I've ever seen from him in general play. Solid technically and linked really nicely with both RAN and Rodrigo all the way through. Maybe the penny has dropped and he's developed his game.

And then he serves up that against Chelsea where he looked like Jake Cassidy in possession and Steve Corica in challenges.

I've given up trying to work him out.

Watched the Leipzig game and it was as good as I've ever seen from him in general play. Solid technically and linked really nicely with both RAN and Rodrigo all the way through. Maybe the penny has dropped and he's developed his game.

And then he serves up that against Chelsea where he looked like Jake Cassidy in possession and Steve Corica in challenges.
...and Derek Jefferson for wandering around not knowing where he was and desperately looking for his contact lenses. True story that from a night match in the mid 70s.

...and Derek Jefferson for wandering around not knowing where he was and desperately looking for his contact lenses. True story that from a night match in the mid 70s.
Remember that, just can't remember the opponent....Derby perhaps?

Remember that, just can't remember the opponent....Derby perhaps?
Maybe. I think I am right about a night match and there was some short video showing the poor lad looking for a lens in the grass near our box! Also, think I was on the North Bank shouting something polite like 'WTF is he doing?' Maybe 1975ish?

Maybe. I think I am right about a night match and there was some short video showing the poor lad looking for a lens in the grass near our box! Also, think I was on the North Bank shouting something polite like 'WTF is he doing?' Maybe 1975ish?
Definitely dark and I think it was mid-week as well. It might have been late on a dark Winter Saturday night but my memory goes more for mid-week. Yes, on timescale. Jefferson really was a donkey... later on, Eric Young reminded me of how clueless Jefferson was. Young's first ever touch in a Wolves shirt was Kevin Francis borderline hysterical.

Back