• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

I think you can take the Shi factor out of it, his scouting knowledge began and ended with Jorge telling him Fabio was ace (although if Jeff was looking at that 11....he would pointing and shouting at Sergio Ramos "I know that player")

Hobbs *could* be that stupid, I mean he signed Doc and if we had missed out on a left back in the summer maybe, but it has been a decision made by Hobbs and GO that our LB position will be

RAN - Toti - Doc - Semedo

That isn't by accident, that is what they have decided to do so that makes it highly unlikely we will be raiding the out of contract market.
I thought we bought Meupiyou to cover LB?

No, just part of Hobbs' spiel. You won't see him even make the bench in a league game this year unless we have an injury crisis. The kids played 9 minutes of first team football
I do like the look of him, though…

(From YouTube)

I thought we were talking about an injury crisis. He's got to be better than Doherty.

You have to throw logic out of the window when it comes to Doherty. He has no business at all being a Premier League player and yet we handed him a deal that will run until he's 34.

Everton are doing similar to an even worse extent with Ashley Young, it makes no sense at all.

He's a dart throw, just like Gonzalez was. I'm not against it, hit on 1 in 5 and job done, but that's all it is really. With the way we are run I don't think it drains money from elsewhere either eg I don't think we'd have paid the additional money for Ramsdale if we hadn't signed him

He's a dart throw, just like Gonzalez was. I'm not against it, hit on one 1 in 5 and job done, but that's all it is really. With the way we are run I don't think it drains money from elsewhere either eg I don't think we'd have paid the additional money for Ramsdale if we hadn't signed him
Pretty much, it looks encouraging with Mosquera who was what, £2.5m. Taken a little while for him to go out and get games elsewhere but if he has a decent season then he's immediately worth 10x what we paid.

Again it's not a signing that stopped us signing a functional, cheapish left back so we had more than one at the club.

Put it this way, Marçal of 2021 would be quite useful in our squad as it stands. And I fucking hated him, the void of possession that he was.

According to reports Ait-Nouri is in contention for Algeria's second game against Liberia.

The centre back discussion prior to the ending of the transfer deadline intrigued me I have to say .
The left full back need is a no brainer , not least just to have cover , but in light of RANs disappointing form as well , and in addition the concern that RAN is not really suited to playing LFB in a back four , or let's just say is a better option as a LWB in a back 5 situation .

On the centre back one - several people here insisted that we needed a new centre back , and their reasons were that we had started the season with Yerson and Toti in a two , with most people believing that as a pair they simply were not experienced enough and needed a more experienced head alongside them .
The rush to dismiss Dawson surprised me at the time I have to say . Apart from about three months last season he has largely been fully fit for us and has served us well , especially when you consider that we bought him so cheaply .
People were therefore concerned that his injury last season was the beginning of the end , but Cunha , Hwang and Neto all missed chunks of last season as well ,and no one is dismissing those players .
The PL has a decent number of older players in its ranks who are still putting in a good shift week in week out , and nowadays far more of these older players are a lot more conscious of ways to extend their playing careers by training in a different and smarter way .
Dawson too has years of PL experience under his belt which is worth a lot to us .
There have been suggestions too that this could be Dawson's last year with us - I wouldn't bet on that at all . It's not as if he will be demanding a massive wage in any new contract discussion .
His performance last Saturday underlined all of the above .

For all the critics of our transfer stance of not paying too much for players , I was very much in agreement in walking away from the Ramsdale talks and the interest in that winger from Burnley . Both clubs were asking for way too much in my view .
It is therefore harder to find centre backs who will come to Wolves and not pay over the odds for - in addition , even if you do find one the player has to want to come in the first place and agree to our terms and wages .

Bear in mind too that we had two younger centre backs ( Kilman and Collins ) , who we shipped out - and let's not forget that most posters here were offering to drive the same two players to their new clubs , so happy were they to see the back of them .
Max just doesn't look like a player who were ever get any better , but is not exactly a dead loss either . Perhaps we were too hasty with Collins as well - remember he was thrown is at the deep end with Kilman , with super coach Lage . All those defeats destroyed whatever confidence he had . That poor form continued into his time at Brentford for a good while , but they persisted , and he is now a more improved player and is still quite young . Somtimes you have to allow time for talent to develop and allow the right circumstances to do so .
If we had bought a new centre back in August , it is almost certain that Santi would have looked for a loan move as well , bringing us back to 4 adult centre backs .

I'd like to see how the Dawson / Mosquera partnership works out ( assuming we stick with 4 at the back ) . If Dawson stays fit then he will be as good and better as anything we could have bought in my view . Yerson will make his mistakes and will pick up suspensions , but let's stick with him and persist .

I don't think it's dismissing Dawson. I'm all on board on him being our best CB. Given how ridiculed he was the first couple of times he was linked in threads like this, it shows we shouldn't judge players too harshly or quickly (and also that signings don't need to be £30M+ quid to be useful in EPL).

The fact remains however, out of 4 first team CBs, having a slow 34yo as your best is a cause for concern list management wise. Shipping 6 goals or whatever makes it hard to ignore for even the most rose tinted.

Funny only in hindsight that Collins was never the same player after he tried kickboxing that bellend vs Man City.

I don't think it's dismissing Dawson. I'm all on board on him being our best CB. Given how ridiculed he was the first couple of times he was linked in threads like this, it shows we shouldn't judge players too harshly or quickly (and also that signings don't need to be £30M+ quid to be useful in EPL).

The fact remains however, out of 4 first team CBs, having a slow 34yo as your best is a cause for concern list management wise. Shipping 6 goals or whatever makes it hard to ignore for even the most rose tinted.

Funny only in hindsight that Collins was never the same player after he tried kickboxing that bellend vs Man City.
Dawson did not start the Chelsea game and only came onto the pitch in the 68th minute.

A 34 yr old- he'll be 35 by the end of the season, will pick up knocks it'll take longer to recover from and he will get fatigued even moreso in the style that GON plays. The longer the season goes on the more evident that'll become.

He should be a good veteran player relied upon to come on to see a game out or to cover for injuries and suspensions. That's not putting him down it's recognising where he's at in his career.

Dawson is a great defender. But there is no cure for old. If we are playing 4 at the back with a high line and press (and it sounds like that isn't going anywhere soon) then his lack of pace, which is only going to go one way now sadly, is going to potentially leave him exposed.

Now it becomes a case of weighing up the leadership and positional sense and seeing if that outdoes the risk of the lack of pace. I think it does, for sure.

However, dressing the centre back issue around Craig Dawson I think is missing the point somewhat. We have sold Kilman and that is pretty much Dawson "neutral" as far as I can see. The issue is more that the club have effectively decided that Mosquera is the Kilman replacement. I like Yerson, but that policy does leave us short in terms of numbers for the centre back positions. Of course, Santi would clearly have gone on loan (or permanently) had we got a first teamer CB in, so the club are happy running with 4 senior CBs in the squad.

That's a risk, and it is still a risk whatever you think about Craig Dawson.

At the moment, whether we are playing a back four or not, Dawson should be in our best starting eleven. He may need managing when we have 3 games in a week but that won’t be that often anyway.

He’s also exactly what Mosquera needs alongside him whilst introducing him to regular premier league minutes. We made that mistake just flinging Collins and Kilman together

The issue is more that the club have effectively decided that Mosquera is the Kilman replacement.
And if that is the case, and it certainly seems so, wouldn't that show there has been some thought gone into this and reason why we aren't that desperate to bring another CH in?

Personally, I don't see the fuss. There are 16 more Prem games between now and the January window. In a worst case scenario, as long as we pick up points and don't get cast adrift we'll then have the opportunity to recruit then if necessary. I don't think that will be the situation though and Mosquera will pick up a lot more experience along the way.

Of course, Dawson could pick up a knock. So could every player in our squad. We do have Bueno as back up for the CH position.

My view is different. Mosquera, Dawson, Toti is a back 3. You can call Toti a LB and RAN a midfielder all you want but Toti is a defender.

If Dawson is starting and getting 60-75 minutes that leaves the extra for Santi. He gets his experience and minutes and come January with injuries and Mosquera's yellow/red card possibilities, probably get another defender then. Right now, you can keep those 4 happy with some minutes.

Don't forget that we could possibly play Lemina, J Gomes, and Andre in the midfield and have them deeper like Rueben Neves to help with defending.

As far as RAN, is it me or did he become average again after we shipped off Hugo Bueno?

Back