• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

You don't play a centre back for 65-70 minutes. You would only really bring one off if there was a real issue in the game where the other team were creating/scoring at will, or if theyre injured/likely to get sent off. You're not going to be giving a CB 25-30 minutes here and there, it would be madness in that area of the pitch and it doesn't happen.

You don't play a centre back for 65-70 minutes. You would only really bring one off if there was a real issue in the game where the other team were creating/scoring at will, or if theyre injured/likely to get sent off. You're not going to be giving a CB 25-30 minutes here and there, it would be madness in that area of the pitch and it doesn't happen.
I agree in general but Ten Hag has made an unenforced CH->CH sub in every game so far :D

It's going brilliantly for them, obviously.

Andre > CH when we're losing is something i'm looking forward to :-D

Saying we “can use Doherty or Toti as a left back” is the exact same as suggesting we play Hwang there.

The end result will be that any of the three of them will be shit and not fit for purpose.

Couple of comments on this Andre analysis video that caught my eye:
You forgot to mention that he’s played as a full back several times during Diniz’s time as a coach, despite being only 1.76m, precisely because of his strength, ability to disarm and read plays, and best of all, relentless ball possession and passing. He will be sorely missed at Fluminense.
(not sure whether that was RB or LB though) and
During the Fernando Diniz era (22/23/24) he was used [m]any times as a CB on the second half when the team was down at the score and the other side would try to keep the score. He would perform ok as a defender but the quality of the construction of the game from the defense improved tremendously. It was a well known tactic from Fluminense to put him as CB on the 2nd half and add a new midfielder to the game

The Brazilian top flight may be the best league in SA (by a distance) but I’m not sure we should import their tactics.

Fwiw, André’s heat map last season was basically the entire middle third of the pitch. Touchline to touchline.

Saying we “can use Doherty or Toti as a left back” is the exact same as suggesting we play Hwang there.

The end result will be that any of the three of them will be shit and not fit for purpose.
Id prefer Doherty or Toti or even Gary O'Neil at LB to RAN if he's going to perform as he did versus Chelsea. As a defender an absolute disgrace.

2 in 100+ Brazilian league games, and 32 yellows (which is about the same strike rate as Joao Gomes) 🤷‍♂️
He'll definitely pick up plenty of yellows if he aggressively goes to ground like he does in that video.

Yeah it can’t be overstated how much refs on this side of the Atlantic, North and South Americas (less so in the US/Canada specifically), will let slide.

Unless you’re Him, I.E., 17 year old Neymar.

The bit before the paywall tells you enough. Not withstanding the fact we should have accepted the offer / squeezed a bit more out of them, we should be reporting them for tapping up. De Zerbi has the class of a man who happily signs a rapist

Is tapping up even a thing any more? Seems like most clubs agree terms with players before they have approached clubs.

You can even do it on football manager.

Through intermediaries I think, not as brazen as the manager continually calling the player up

£21m… jeez

I guess we never had any intention of selling him because we had no plan of how to replace him. That said, Burnley wanted £40m for a certain winger we were interested in, so maybe £21m is short for Channy. Honestly I have no idea any more.

Id prefer Doherty or Toti or even Gary O'Neil at LB to RAN if he's going to perform as he did versus Chelsea. As a defender an absolute disgrace.

I’d prefer Gary O’Neil, agreed.

Definitely not Doherty or Toti, though.

Back