• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-0 Southampton: Verdict Thread

Nuno has got to in the running for Manager of the Month for September #thecurseiscoming

#curseofnovember looming too!:icon_rolleyes:

Dont start !!!! Its a joke ...............................

Just simple physics would tell me that a forward thinking tank like Traore is to tackling what Johnny 75 is to tact and diplomacy making him a bit of a liability around our own box , so I see absolutely no reason not to have him stationed just inside his own half at corners giving the option of the punt and chase. It will take at least one defender away and probably two.

Common sense post.......probably get shot down in tactical flames

Just simple physics would tell me that a forward thinking tank like Traore is to tackling what Johnny 75 is to tact and diplomacy making him a bit of a liability around our own box , so I see absolutely no reason not to have him stationed just inside his own half at corners giving the option of the punt and chase. It will take at least one defender away and probably two.

There are different approaches to defending corners. I liked when Brentford kept three man forward under Warburton (and they played some really good football under him), but actually although it means more people having to defend for the opposition what it also does in create more space for the opposition to attack the ball. And that can be very dangerous.

What you see pretty much all the top teams do now (including ourselves) is defend zonally, with a line of four across the six yard line, and also have everyone back.

There are different approaches to defending corners. I liked when Brentford kept three man forward under Warburton (and they played some really good football under him), but actually although it means more people having to defend for the opposition what it also does in create more space for the opposition to attack the ball. And that can be very dangerous.

What you see pretty much all the top teams do now (including ourselves) is defend zonally, with a line of four across the six yard line, and also have everyone back.

yep I get all that

But if you have the fastest player in world football playing up front allowing him the opportunity to do a road runner impression on the counter should and will be a useful addition to our arsenal. The goal v west ham showed that.

That was an entirely different scenario though. He was behind the ball when we won it too, not ahead of it. Napoli had a great set up last season when I watched where they had speedier players on the edge of their own area ready to win clearances and break away.

Two accurate passes to break us out from defending a corner and we're basically in the same attacking position as if we left someone at the center circle. Possibly even better as there will have been at least one other runner to keep up. There may be more defenders getting back but proper passing takes them out of the equation anyway.

Traore lines up on the edge of the area anyway. That’s sees him usable to pressure the ball as it’s cleared, receive the ball and counter or chase down a clearance

Ideally you'd want Costa and Traore on the edge of the box and Neves just inside.

Does anyone know why Traore got booked?

From where I was it looked like the soton player just bounced off him but the ref must have seen something?

From where I was it looked like the soton player just bounced off him but the ref must have seen something?

The idiot referee said he stamped on the saints player. If he even touched him it was accidentally standing on his toe, didn't even look like that to me. Was a proper shit bit of play by Traore though - his first touch seems to randomly veer between superb and horrific.

He got booked for....keeping hold of the ball under pressure from 2 players. Not sure where that appears in the rule book though
Attwell came close to sending him off as well. Right at the end of the game, he was taken out by 2 players and Southampton got the free kick and after blowing his whistle Attwell went for his book but put it back. Guess he had used his quota of red cards for Wolves players for the year

Right at the end of the game, he was taken out by 2 players and Southampton got the free kick and after blowing his whistle Attwell went for his book but put it back.

That was proper bizarre. Such a shit referee.

I thought it was for raking his studs down the Southampton players shin as he tried to keep control of the ball. Not that I thought he did

He looked like he was going to send off Neves as well. Such an odd little man. As if he went into the game with a mindset of "I'll be lenient first half and then start showing the cards in the second half" without any thought towards context at all.

On the replay of the Traore booking you can see that he stands/stamps on the other players foot. I think it was accidental as he was just placing his foot down to hold off the player. Although, you can see Attwell's view of it from the replay and you could probably understand how he thought it was a foul. Not quite sure why he deemed it a booking though when Vestergaard was allowed to foul Jota over and over during the first half.

From the sky sports ref review

Wolves 2-0 Southampton

INCIDENT: Adama Traore is booked after a tackle on Southampton forward Nathan Redmond.

VERDICT: Wrong call, red card.

DERMOT SAYS: It is such an unusual incident because I think the referee [Stuart Attwell] thinks he [Traore] has gone in with his shoulder and does not see the lower-body movement. And if he does, then I think he gives a red card, but in fairness to Stuart Attwell, nobody would ever see that without the replay we had

Back