• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-0 Southampton: Verdict Thread

I think that while we played quite poorly all this about losing this on another day blah blah is not right. The Premier league has some very average teams in it with very average managers and tactics. We have nothing to fear. Traore is some strange footballer but I love him.
On another point why do we not leave someone up the pitch while defending corners?
Great to see Cav back and I'm sorry but Jota needs a rest he was quite poor. Doc was good wasn't he? lol

Not often I agree with Danny Murphy but his analogy of Traore previously was bang on. A Ferrari being driven by a learner driver. I think he has passed his test now. Get the P plates off this season and lets see what happens.

I think that while we played quite poorly all this about losing this on another day blah blah is not right. The Premier league has some very average teams in it with very average managers and tactics. We have nothing to fear. Traore is some strange footballer but I love him.
On another point why do we not leave someone up the pitch while defending corners?
Great to see Cav back and I'm sorry but Jota needs a rest he was quite poor. Doc was good wasn't he? lol

There could be several reasons. Bringing everybody back means you have more bodies to defend the corner so less chance of conceding. This could well lead the opposition to put more players into attack, which in a perverse way Nuno wants as there would be less defenders for a fast counter and if we get the fast players running, especially Traore, Cav, Costa or Jimenez then the fewer defenders the better.

Because we don't lump it. A man sat up there could encourage that which doesn't fit our playing style.

Assuming Cav is fit I think he should start next week over Jota who was poor. Needs a little bit of a break but I think the issue for him is finding the goal - once he gets that first one it will do wonders for his confidence and won't look back.

We also don't need to. Players like Jota, Traore and Costa can turn defence into attack with one run or pass.

Because we don't lump it. A man sat up there could encourage that which doesn't fit our playing style.

First corner we defended after Traore came on, Moutinho hoofed it clear

Also v Leicester, we left Traore on the half way line in the 2nd half when defending corners

Most teams take all players back for corners. Always assumed it’s just so you’ve got less chance of conceding. After all, when the balls drops down in the area there’s more chance of you blocking it or clearing it if you’ve got more me there, whereas the attacking team obviously only have a small area to aim at (the goal)

Nuno has got to in the running for Manager of the Month for September #thecurseiscoming

I think you should always leave a fast player up the pitch when defending corners just to cause some concern for the other team

Not often I agree with Danny Murphy but his analogy of Traore previously was bang on. A Ferrari being driven by a learner driver. I think he has passed his test now. Get the P plates off this season and lets see what happens.
That was Keown but yes I agree it's a good analogy.

A good weekend , helped by not having to rush off & drive back the same day this time

Good to meet up with loads inc DDW & WH again from over the water - though I am reliably informed (journalists never reveal their sources) that DDW was obliged to 'adjust his dress' before being allowed into WV1 :)

As to the match - we weren't at our best still won though, but that was more than enough to see off a poor Soton team - was talking to a couple of their fans when booking into the hotel & they are looking at this season as a real relegation battle unless something changes.

Defence was solid as ever (Coady probably MoTM for me for the cover he provided & yes think that he could do that job for the National team).

Not going to join in the 'Traore' discussion - he is frustrating, but will give the possibility of a piece of extravagance that produces a goal. Did help that Cav came on (this was the real spark we needed) which meant that Soton had to worry more about both sides rather than just one. Have seen Traore in each of his cameo roles at home & he does appear to be learning - first game it seemed that he was just running with the ball without any idea of where anyone else was - when he stopped he was in a dead end.

He is now starting to look at the play in front of him & play passes rather than just running with till he ended up in no mans land. He will still frustrate & delight us for a while yet.

Still only lost once & now 5 unbeaten - this is as good a start as anyone could have predicted for us - I don't travel in fear now, but in expectation (we will lose games but in no way do I consider that we will be humiliated by anyone regardless of their PL pedigree)

A good weekend , helped by not having to rush off & drive back the same day this time

Good to meet up with loads inc DDW & WH again from over the water - though I am reliably informed (journalists never reveal their sources) that DDW was obliged to 'adjust his dress' before being allowed into WV1 :)

As to the match - we weren't at our best still won though, but that was more than enough to see off a poor Soton team - was talking to a couple of their fans when booking into the hotel & they are looking at this season as a real relegation battle unless something changes.

Defence was solid as ever (Coady probably MoTM for me for the cover he provided & yes think that he could do that job for the National team).

Not going to join in the 'Traore' discussion - he is frustrating, but will give the possibility of a piece of extravagance that produces a goal. Did help that Cav came on (this was the real spark we needed) which meant that Soton had to worry more about both sides rather than just one. Have seen Traore in each of his cameo roles at home & he does appear to be learning - first game it seemed that he was just running with the ball without any idea of where anyone else was - when he stopped he was in a dead end.

He is now starting to look at the play in front of him & play passes rather than just running with till he ended up in no mans land. He will still frustrate & delight us for a while yet.

Still only lost once & now 5 unbeaten - this is as good a start as anyone could have predicted for us - I don't travel in fear now, but in expectation (we will lose games but in no way do I consider that we will be humiliated by anyone regardless of their PL pedigree)
It's true. Like an idiot I didn't check to see if WV1 was part of Corporate Wolves and rocked up in trainers and colours. Both a no-no. A last minute shop for shoes in Asda really saved the day!

It's true. Like an idiot I didn't check to see if WV1 was part of Corporate Wolves and rocked up in trainers and colours. Both a no-no. A last minute shop for shoes in Asda really saved the day!

'George' at Asda isn't really the most stylish look in the world of fashion :icon_biggrin:

I think you should always leave a fast player up the pitch when defending corners just to cause some concern for the other team

yes you're right. what difference does it really make having Jota or Traore back for a corner. Last season Ruddy claimed the corner and dispatched it straight upfield to Jota who scored

Noticeable in each game I have seen so far is how happy we are to recycle the ball back & try another avenue if the first one is blocked off - I know that's what we did last season, but the original route is more often closed down this season as we face better opposition.

Wouldn't have a problem though with a big goalkeeper punt to a free forward leading to a strike on goal though - it has its uses.

yes you're right. what difference does it really make having Jota or Traore back for a corner. Last season Ruddy claimed the corner and dispatched it straight upfield to Jota who scored

Can’t score on the counter when the balls in your net

Just simple physics would tell me that a forward thinking tank like Traore is to tackling what Johnny 75 is to tact and diplomacy making him a bit of a liability around our own box , so I see absolutely no reason not to have him stationed just inside his own half at corners giving the option of the punt and chase. It will take at least one defender away and probably two.

Back