• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-0 Southampton: Verdict Thread

Quality day out. Darlo's assesment of Traore is spot on and we were good for 20 minutes, average for the next 45 and top class for the remainder. Cav was outstanding when he came on and Jimenez in particular was freed by Cav and Traore (who was a competition winner for 15 minutes).

Boly MOtM for me and he was imperious at the back and moving the ball forward when he had to. Kudos to Doherty for dropping the shoulder on the second goal,that was top drawer.

Last edited:
Quality day out. Darlo's assesment if Traore is spot on a,d we were good for 20 miniure, average for the next 45 and top class for the remainder. Cav was outstanding when he came on and Jimenez in particular was freed by Cavand Traore (who was a competition winner for 15 minutes).

Boly MOtM for me ad he was imperious at the back and moved the ball forward when he build, Fodus to Doherty for dropping the shoulder on the second goal,that was top drawer.

Anybody come Yong on the game without seeing at least highlights can fuck the fuck off. Cuntery shouldnot be tolerated,
Had a beer Johnny? [emoji3]

Now that post needs some unpissed editing [emoji23].

Keane, Stone, Cahill and Smalling off the top of my head.

Keane has been abysmal for Everton, although not seen a huge amount of him this season. Cahill and Stones don't play and Southgate has it in for Smalling, as he's not good enough on the ball. Which probably rules out Ryan getting a squeak.

Keane has been abysmal for Everton, although not seen a huge amount of him this season. Cahill and Stones don't play and Southgate has it in for Smalling, as he's not good enough on the ball. Which probably rules out Ryan getting a squeak.

Exactly this. There is a shortage of central CB who play in a three and are English. Bennett may not get picked but on form he is right up there! Coady will get a call. I am certain. He ticks every box in that position and is growing game by game.

Coady definitely has a chance, Bennett's limitations will rule him out, kinda like Ben Mee who has been outstanding for Burnley the last few years

Agree with Tredman, Traore wasn't that bad. He hadn't caused them as many problems as we would have liked in that time but he was fine. He didn't give the ball away very much either.

I think it is good what we are doing with him currently. The most difficult thing for him is learning and carrying out his roles and reponsibilities in and out of possession. I've noticed a difference already personally. He really does pick and choose his moments to drive with the ball but when he does he is so bloody hard to stop isn't he?

I’d expect Southgate to be keeping an eye on Coady. Probably not on Bennett.

Bennett has been very good, but there is certainly better RCB about.

Coady will get a call up in November so long as he keeps his current form up. He will be worth a look in the back three and will be an opportunity for Southgate to rest stones and keep Pep happy in one of the friendlies.

Bennett is not someone I imagine Southgate has in mind for future plans. If he kept up his fantastic form maybe he'd get a token call up (the likes of Tarkowski and Mawson have struggled for form or fitness this season). Gomez in his position has the opportunity to make that his own for years to come too. Also factor in this is probably as good as it gets for Ryan - as brilliant as he has been this season

Agree with Tredman, Traore wasn't that bad. He hadn't caused them as many problems as we would have liked in that time but he was fine. He didn't give the ball away very much either.

I think it is good what we are doing with him currently. The most difficult thing for him is learning and carrying out his roles and reponsibilities in and out of possession. I've noticed a difference already personally. He really does pick and choose his moments to drive with the ball but when he does he is so bloody hard to stop isn't he?

Traore was rancid for 15 minutes,ran into blind alleys gave the ball away and didn't play runners in when he could. Then for 10 minutes he was world class.

Notice the Barry Douglass 'Heard he fell out with Nuno' truthers have all vanished' with the emergence of Jonny.

Just home watching MOTD after a very enjoyable day. Everything was great, flights on time, trains, the game, the company post match.

For 20 mins we looked absolutely class, and you could sense a goal coming. But we let Saints back into it and I have to disagree with Pad, they had a couple of chances st the end of the first half and only Rui kept us in it with some good saves.
The difference this season to Wolves of old, is that we don't die off around 70 mins. We turned it back on, Cav was instrumental to the change in play.

Traore looked a bit headless when he came on but I would disagree with those saying he looked a "competition winner". You could see what he was trying to do, lots of fancy footwork and trickery, but Southampton closed him down well. Once he settled he was instrumental in both our goals. Amazing run to get us into space for the first, and then his overhead ball to Doc for the second was really well executed. Doc played really well too, credit where it's due.

Incredible atmosphere all game long. So refreshing after years of cynicism at Molineux, the whole town is buzzing, it is great to see.

Lastly, massive thanks to Penk for the hospitality once again. Much appreciated as always. And great to see everyone in Boho afterwards! Finally got to meet Boozad and his lovely daughter Cass plus White Wolf and N.Dorset.
Shame we had to leave early. We'll see you again soon!

Traore was rancid for 15 minutes,ran into blind alleys gave the ball away and didn't play runners in when he could. Then for 10 minutes he was world class.

Naah mate, apparently you're an attention seeker.

Lads, a bit of perspective on Traore.

When we say rancid - I think of Doherty at LB. I think Dave Edwards at no. 10. That's proper fucking rancid.

Traore was off the boil, below par. For a few mins. Then he had a couple of moments of brilliance.

We are doing a disservice to him calling him rancid. We've suffered enough rancid performances over the years. Traore was in no way rancid.

We show strength by winning that game despite not playing good apart from first 20 and last 15 mins..great to have subs that can make a difference..really like Jiminez but i would like a top striker in the winter window to make this complete..ooh, and good Doc once again

..and you really need those players that can make or break..everybody is fucking scared when Traore runs at them and he was involved in Cav's goal

The attention he draws is probably what allows Cav to drift into the space he did. Great hit for his goal too.

Back