• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-6 Chelsea: Verdict Thread

Play a high line and allow Lemina and Gomes to push forward at the same time and we’ll concede loads. Yesterday they were like men possessed in our good spell - I think there was a bit of Brazil versus Argentina going on between Gomes and Enzo - but as soon as Chelsea became a little more composed with a cushion of more than a goal they spent a lot of time chasing shadows and time after time the back four were exposed. It was so obvious from the stands yet we continued to do it. Our squad simply doesn’t have the players for us to dictate the game in the way we tried to and unless he adopts a more conservative approach GO will be gone whilst the leaves are still green!

If you are emulating Liverpool I don't see Sarabia as the answer, whoever they've played in those wider roles has always had pace - Jota, Diaz, Gakpo, Salah, Mane. I guess your hope would be Gomes comes good, or we sign someone. Bellegarde or Hwang aren't the answers either.

If you are emulating Liverpool I don't see Sarabia as the answer, whoever they've played in those wider roles has always had pace - Jota, Diaz, Gakpo, Salah, Mane. I guess your hope would be Gomes comes good, or we sign someone. Bellegarde or Hwang aren't the answers either.
True, Sarabia is slow but he's such a good technician and presser he can do it. I think RAN could do it but then we'd need a new LB too. Koleosho looks the type of player that would fill that hole.

R.Gomes looks like playing on the wrong side and being weak isn't going to help him either.

I'd sell Bellegarde, he's just such a nothing player. Hwang is fine as a back up 9.

The midfield 3 is already there and I think the back 4 as it is would be fine with that shield of Gomes or Lemina in front of them. Neither Robinson or TAA are very good defenders.

True, Sarabia is slow but he's such a good technician and presser he can do it. I think RAN could do it but then we'd need a new LB too. Koleosho looks the type of player that would fill that hole.

R.Gomes looks like playing on the wrong side and being weak isn't going to help him either.

I'd sell Bellegarde, he's just such a nothing player. Hwang is fine as a back up 9.

The midfield 3 is already there and I think the back 4 as it is would be fine with that shield of Gomes or Lemina in front of them. Neither Robinson or TAA are very good defenders.
Was contemplating a back 4 of Toti - Dawson - Mosquera - Semedo with RAN as right forward yesterday. Similar to Lop’s plan I think?

Last edited:
RAN can defend he’s just had too much smoke blown up his arse and GON wants him to be a maverick and be given a bit of a free role with him picking up spaces in the middle and doing whatever he fancies. So he’s just wandering around without any thought for the defensive side of the game. Couple that with GON’s strategy just being “chaos” with the two CMs just running around like headless chickens trying to win the ball back then were so easy to break on our back line when we either give it away or they pass through that first press.

This was pretty much the same last year but we had Toti, Dawson, Kilman and Semedo back there. Yesterday it was just 3. Not even the best play like this and even when they do theyve got the CBs really high up and aggressive and they’re not losing the ball in the middle third.

As mentioned, when you’re so easy to play through, a high line is asking for trouble.

Yes, toti and Mosq are very athletic, but are both quite rash, especially toti and get pulled out of position/are just out of position.

Expecting their pace to bail them out, especially against quick forwards is asking for trouble

I've not quoted your full post, but that's much too simplistic for me. A previous poster used to suggest any game against a team above you is a free hit, but it never plays out that way as you don't beat every side below you. Without points against the Sky 6 we would have gone down in the Lopetegui year, and would have only got 31 points last, which relegates you most seasons.

The way both sides played yesterday isn't sustainable for either of their ambitions. If Chelsea played the top 3 like that they'd be the team losing 6-2, we'd have let a couple in against anyone including the promoted teams.
We could be here til Christmas if everything has to be caveated.

They should absolutely be aiming to win those games against top teams as they should avoid to lose games against bottom sides that they will lose. Of course that doesnt happen because sport isnt decided before a game based on team sheets, that'd be boring. Over course of season the unexpected wins and losses average out to reflect where a team ends up.

Team isn't as bad as that second half however shit it was.

Liverpool have Arne Slot in charge, our manager is more like Arse Snot.
Not keen eh? GON is still very inexperienced, I'm hoping he can learn in time for is not to be in the shit by the end of the season. Chances are Dyche will be available when he gets sacked in November...yee haw.

Reactions: b3h
Not keen eh? GON is still very inexperienced, I'm hoping he can learn in time for is not to be in the shit by the end of the season. Chances are Dyche will be available when he gets sacked in November...yee haw.
I was too harsh, I did hold my hands up to that.
I’m not keen, no. I think he’s out of his depth but it’s not his fault he’s been asked to do a job he’s not good enough to do.
That’s on Fosun and Shi.

RAN can defend he’s just had too much smoke blown up his arse and GON wants him to be a maverick and be given a bit of a free role with him picking up spaces in the middle and doing whatever he fancies. So he’s just wandering around without any thought for the defensive side of the game. Couple that with GON’s strategy just being “chaos” with the two CMs just running around like headless chickens trying to win the ball back then were so easy to break on our back line when we either give it away or they pass through that first press.

This was pretty much the same last year but we had Toti, Dawson, Kilman and Semedo back there. Yesterday it was just 3. Not even the best play like this and even when they do theyve got the CBs really high up and aggressive and they’re not losing the ball in the middle third.
This is absolutely bang on. RAN is usually very good 1vs1(he’s got other defensive issues) but Madueke caused him issues from minute one because he was able to go inside and out and Rayan just couldn’t deal with that. Biggest issue is going to be asking him to play inverted though with no cover and as you say 2 cm’s running around leaving acres of space for any counter. No team can play like that and get away with it let alone this Wolves team.

One thing I did note is that when Dawson came on he quickly took over as Captain - it was him talking to the ref and calming down Mosquera etc. I'm a big fan of Lemina, but I wonder if a more level head might work better with such a fragile team.

One thing I did note is that when Dawson came on he quickly took over as Captain - it was him talking to the ref and calming down Mosquera etc. I'm a big fan of Lemina, but I wonder if a more level head might work better with such a fragile team.

Problem with that is in an ideal world you don't want Dawson on the pitch at all.

Lemina hopefully will be with us for a good few years yet as well, I'm not aware that he's ever had a role like this before in his career, it might be something he has to grow into.

Yep, on that 50/50 challenge that on another day could have resulted in a red for Yerson (I'm not saying it was, but we've had some shockers before) - all the Chelsea lads were running up and crowding Yerson trying to make a big deal of it, and Dawson literally comes across and picks him up off the ground to take him away from it.

I mentioned it in another thread, but I think Gaz buckles soon and starts playing Dawson next to Mosquera anyway, if we keep shipping goals. The natural thing to do after the weekend will be to tell the defence to drop 10-15 yards anyway, as the high line is suicide, so then you're relying on pace less. I really like Yerson, but he's a bit of a hot head and needs someone more experienced to hold his hand. Toti is not that.

Back