• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-6 Chelsea: Verdict Thread

Yep, on that 50/50 challenge that on another day could have resulted in a red for Yerson (I'm not saying it was, but we've had some shockers before) - all the Chelsea lads were running up and crowding Yerson trying to make a big deal of it, and Dawson literally comes across and picks him up off the ground to take him away from it.

I mentioned it in another thread, but I think Gaz buckles soon and starts playing Dawson next to Mosquera anyway, if we keep shipping goals. The natural thing to do after the weekend will be to tell the defence to drop 10-15 yards anyway, as the high line is suicide, so then you're relying on pace less. I really like Yerson, but he's a bit of a hot head and needs someone more experienced to hold his hand. Toti is not that.
Yeah I think same, said above but I could see a back 4 of Tot - Mosquera - Dawson - Semedo

Yep, on that 50/50 challenge that on another day could have resulted in a red for Yerson (I'm not saying it was, but we've had some shockers before) - all the Chelsea lads were running up and crowding Yerson trying to make a big deal of it, and Dawson literally comes across and picks him up off the ground to take him away from it.

I mentioned it in another thread, but I think Gaz buckles soon and starts playing Dawson next to Mosquera anyway, if we keep shipping goals. The natural thing to do after the weekend will be to tell the defence to drop 10-15 yards anyway, as the high line is suicide, so then you're relying on pace less. I really like Yerson, but he's a bit of a hot head and needs someone more experienced to hold his hand. Toti is not that.
I think it's unfair to say "buckles" in a negative sense. Playing Dawson would be the correct decision, would it not?

I think it's unfair to say "buckles" in a negative sense. Playing Dawson would be the correct decision, would it not?
Wasn't necessarily using it in a negative sense although it does read like that, so my bad. More that it'll be an admission that he got it wrong.

I was at a wedding over the weekend so have only just watched the full match.

A very weird game, it could have easily finished 5 0, 5 5 or 5 10. We were the better team in the first half and despite non existent defending in the second, were not four goals worse than Chelsea.

Obviously, the defence needs to be fixed, it's obvious we need a new CB who's capable of holding Mosquera's hand who still looks very raw, erratic but promising.

Semedo will be back for the next league game so that's good. I don't think RAN is good enough at defending to play in a four, so the options really are a new LB or revert to a three!

I don't have a problem with playing three at the back, I've never understood the clamour for a back four anyway.

Either way whether it's a three or a four a new CB is required. If we stick with a four we also need a new LB and play RAN further forward.

I'm sure this has already been suggested on here, it's obvious to anyone with at least one eye.

An experienced quality CB is needed just to stand still. I don't even think Kilman would have been the answer in a four in any case, so we're pretty much where we were in regards from "progressing" from a three.

Whether we play 4 at the back or 5 , whether we have wing backs or not , whether we play with two up front , or three forwards.......the basics remain the same , just like they have done for well over a hundred years .
When we keep losing the ball from midfield back to our goal , as often as we do , then you're asking for trouble - even with 6 at the back .
When a player asked to play up front makes no effort to tackle or track back then you might as well be playing with 10 men .
If you play a high line , then you must be able to retain possession in a very solid manner and know exactly what to do when the move breaks down .
Touch tight marking , filling the gaps , basic set piece defending from corners .

All of these are fundamentals of the game - they apply regardless of what formation you play - you are taught these at under 10 level .

For now I would prefer 5 at the back for no other reason than being pragmatic in the short term - but even then the fundamentals apply , and come first , before any white board .

When the ball goes dead , you come alive.......another fundamental we are forgetting right now .

Back