• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-6 Chelsea: Verdict Thread

Really solid travel to watch us get ripped to bits as well. An hour delay getting into Wolves, pulled into Leeds and the driver says "we've got to wait for 40 minutes until some train staff get here from Newcastle" 🤣

FML.

He is correct to a degree, Toti flicking the ball on does change the set up and make the ball get to Jackson quicker than a floated corner to the back post would have done. Nobody being within 3 yards of their centre forward on a set piece is pathetic though. It's not zonal as someone would be there, so whoever is supposed to be picking him up hasn't. Not too dissimilar to Brighton's winner yesterday
How does the identity of the player who flicks it on make any difference to how a player defends the back post? They're literally there to deal with those sorts of things. Either directly to the back post or flicked on. He was just asleep ball watching.

And Semedo isn't much better at it either. Probably his biggest weakness defensively is switching off at the back post and has let numerous goals in that way the past couple of seasons.

Well the next week or so will be very interesting, we need reinforcements but we also need to tweak things tactically. I said after the Rayo friendly i was worried about us in midfield on transitions and today just showed why. We can’t continue to play like that, it exposed us with a back 5 so with a 4 we’re going to leak goals. RAN was pretty poor today but for the goals in the second half both he and Toti were left too exposed because of those transitions and what Rayan/Mario and Joao are being asked to do. We can’t play Hwang and JRB in the wide positions either because generally they’re so poor with the ball and those transitions happen more often.
The less said about Sa too the better, can’t play it short, can’t play long, out of position a lot and so far not making those saves that were keeping him at this level.

Not massively worried yet because we can score goals and our issues can be sorted without taking away our goal threat but i can’t be certain that our manager can see what he has to do.
Agree with all of that, apart from the lack of serious worry. I need some of the Slink composure!

It was such a stark shambles I’m really not sure how GON gets out of it. The recruitment needed won’t happen, so we’ll need a new manager soon and we’re likely to wait too long acting on that given our previous episode. Two years ago we actively tried to recruit a manager who would have been a disaster, then had the World Cup break bonus followed by benefiting from a manager the calibre of which we just won’t get this time due to everything that’s happened. Sounds terribly knee jerk, but I think it’s as simple as saying that’s a relegation team out there. I’m just struggling to believe Southampton are worse.

In the short term, much as I dislike it and don’t sign up to the superstition that we are doomed to play it forever, perhaps going to a back 3 is his only hope of scrabbling the points needed to keep him in the gig. No points in 6 and he has to go, and how the hell are we stopping goals with this system?

If GON can’t see that Doherty and Toti have no business starting PL games for our club, I have to seriously question whether he has the credentials to manage at this level.
What is he supposed to do as an alternative? Throw in an 18 year old with zero experience in England and hope for the best? I'm sure he'd love to have Semedo on the pitch but he can't.

And who knows how fit Dawson is or suitable to play in a back four nowadays. He should be fine given his experience and I'd want him in there ahead of Toti personally, but GON is the one that sees them in training. We'll see now if he makes a change in that area, and as we know he's definitely after another CB preferably with PL experience as he mentioned.

Is Santi Bueno good enough? Who knows. He'll probably play against Burnley on Wednesday so we'll see how he does then.

I may be wrong, usually am,but I’ve got a feeling he’ll remain Coach no matter what.

Depends on how badly we’re doing if we’ve only got 3-4 points on the board by November he’s toast anybody would be, if he keeps us in touch or hovering above the drop then he probably gets the season.

On another note, has anyone ever seen a ball leave the ground during a game at Molineux before, let alone over the Steve Bull stand?
Pretty sure Mo Camara sent a shot towards Asda around 2001. But not many!

I mean the positive is that we DID look very, very good going forward first half. You will create a lot of chances if you do that and it seems we have the players to put the chances away too. But it leaves you so, so vulnerable.

Pretty sure Mo Camara sent a shot towards Asda around 2001. But not many!

I mean the positive is that we DID look very, very good going forward first half. You will create a lot of chances if you do that and it seems we have the players to put the chances away too. But it leaves you so, so vulnerable.
The outlier being Hwang.

I like the look of Koleosho but it seems we've possibly moved on from him already. Rodrigo needs to be starting ahead of him asap. Unless Hwang is in the middle he offers very, very little.

What is he supposed to do as an alternative? Throw in an 18 year old with zero experience in England and hope for the best? I'm sure he'd love to have Semedo on the pitch but he can't.

And who knows how fit Dawson is or suitable to play in a back four nowadays. He should be fine given his experience and I'd want him in there ahead of Toti personally, but GON is the one that sees them in training. We'll see now if he makes a change in that area, and as we know he's definitely after another CB preferably with PL experience as he mentioned.

Is Santi Bueno good enough? Who knows. He'll probably play against Burnley on Wednesday so we'll see how he does then.

The fact he does, or doesn’t have an alternative is on him. He’s the Manager and it’s what he gets paid for.

He’s known Semedo is suspended for 3 months.

And I would happily bet you that the 18 year old with no Premier League experience is miles better than Matt Doherty, no problem.

Very worrying performance that. I felt quite happy at half time as we had held our own and we looked very good offensively, JSL and Cunha looked a real handful and so satisfying seeing a proper no.9 performance for the first time since pre-head injury Raul.

Second half was a disaster. Chelsea looked like scoring every time they attacked. The defence was awful and Sa terrible. When 8 minutes injury time was given I fully expected the 7th goal to arrive.

All in all a shambles. Only a shambolic Everton keeping us off the bottom (though the table at this early stage is pretty pointless) but with the run we have I see us being in trouble come the Autumn. Forest have been investing and improving their side and have a win and a draw so far plus their manager, the guy with the fine beard, seems pretty decent. I don't see us getting anything from them

The run we are on going back to early March is absolutely diabolical and needs addressing. Sadly I have very little faith in the club's hierarchy from Jeff down to the coaching team and everything in-between

I don't see anything wrong with that. He's not had a go at any one or said he's being limited, just that selling good players makes you weaker.

We stayed to the bitter end. At least the traffic wasn’t quite so bad with so many already gone.
Same. Just had to endure mouthy gobshite Tarquins everywhere by the time we were out

Our issue is a lack of structure and a clear plan on how to manage a game.

We throw everyone forward and then expose a poor back four by having no screen or cover.
Then players like Bellegarde cba to track back, leaving RAN woefully alone and exposed, in a position he probably doesn't suit.

Chuck in the fact that we switch off at every free kick and players like hwang putting in a 0/10 performance then we're on a hiding to nothing.

This isn't about back 4 or 5, it's about the tactical direction - O'Neil only has a couple more games imo. Nuno will have forest targeting our weaknesses and could easily beat us.

Concaciao or Moyes before October?
I’d take Moyes. Apart from MU has done well everywhere he has been.

Even the best defenders and defensive units make mistakes. Rarely will a team make that many and concede so many in one game. Individually and collectively they let themselves, their team mates and the fans down. Chelsea didn’t even need to be particularly good to walk through us time and time again. Special mention for Ait-Nouri for dereliction of duty.

It is the least excited I have felt about a new season since the start of last season.

Why would Moyes come here? It’s an utter car crash - admittedly a very slow moving one, but it’s been happening since sacking the best manager the club has seen for 50 years. We deserve to be relegated.

Back