• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-6 Chelsea: Verdict Thread

No worries though as we have "one of the best defenders of the back stick in the league"!

He is correct to a degree, Toti flicking the ball on does change the set up and make the ball get to Jackson quicker than a floated corner to the back post would have done. Nobody being within 3 yards of their centre forward on a set piece is pathetic though. It's not zonal as someone would be there, so whoever is supposed to be picking him up hasn't. Not too dissimilar to Brighton's winner yesterday

Absolutely terrible that no one thought to just stand over the ball for 2 seconds and slow the game. Especially when we had been exposed multiple times by Chelsea moving the ball quickly.

You'd have thought that would be something picked up by the iPad in the first half.
We have numerous issues and they all feed into one another.

Like we can't afford the CMs to pick up a cheap (but valuable) yellow card like Moutinho often did in stopping the game as you suggest, as basically they're forever chasing shadows and vulnerable to picking up one through an actual foul, being as we don't even try to retain possession and seem to think we're playing NBA Jam.

He is correct to a degree, Toti flicking the ball on does change the set up and make the ball get to Jackson quicker than a floated corner to the back post would have done. Nobody being within 3 yards of their centre forward on a set piece is pathetic though. It's not zonal as someone would be there, so whoever is supposed to be picking him up hasn't. Not too dissimilar to Brighton's winner yesterday
Set piece coach earning his money already.

Cunha flicked it

When we have that number of players in and around our own six yard box and he STILL has a yard or more of space, it's unforgiveable. And what is Doherty's role even supposed to be if he isn't marking anyone and isn't on the post?

And he isn't right that Doherty is good at that because I've seen that silly wanker "jump" before.

Cunha flicked it

When we have that number of players in and around our own six yard box and he STILL has a yard or more of space, it's unforgiveable. And what is Doherty's role even supposed to be if he isn't marking anyone and isn't on the post?

And he isn't right that Doherty is good at that because I've seen that silly wanker "jump" before
Thanks, thought it was Toti at the game

We have numerous issues and they all feed into one another.

Like we can't afford the CMs to pick up a cheap (but valuable) yellow card like Moutinho often did in stopping the game as you suggest, as basically they're forever chasing shadows and vulnerable to picking up one through an actual foul, being as we don't even try to retain possession and seem to think we're playing NBA Jam.
It's exactly like this. Playing 4-2-4 with inside forwards seems utterly ridiculous to me.

Playing man to man high press without having people read the second ball is ridiculous.

Not reacting to wingers going wide and stretching your defence seems ludicrous.

Not reacting to the opposition overloading their right hand side seems negligent to me.

If I can see all of these things I'd expect a PL manager to be able to and change things.

Maresca did to great effect. GoN just can't for whatever reason.

Earned him a new contract too, bit of a worry that.

I wouldn't have handed him a new deal (in reality it doesn't matter much, it won't stop us sacking him and we won't owe him four years' money if we do) but I can see why we did it.

- Popular with the squad
- Good with the media
- Still doesn't have the profile to rock the boat if/when we fuck him over with the squad
- Plenty of good games last season
- In an idealistic sense, plays the right way
- Popular with the fans (mostly)

It's a results game though. If we don't win any of the next 3-4 he is 100% under huge pressure. We'll have barely won a game in six months if that happens.

I may be wrong, usually am,but I’ve got a feeling he’ll remain Coach no matter what.

Been discussed before, but we were always going to be bottom 6 after 6 games given the opposition. Today was a game we should have been targeting at least a point from. Next week becomes pretty big early, because we aren't getting more than 1 from the 3 that follow

He won't. Let's say we win 0 of the next 6. Forest, Newcastle, Villa, Liverpool, Brentford and Man City. Quite conceivable.

That would leave him on 1 win in 18 games. Who survives that, anywhere.

I may be wrong, usually am,but I’ve got a feeling he’ll remain Coach no matter what.
Most clubs that fail to plan/invest will sack the manager and bring in some retread in the hope of a temporary bump in results. Alardice and Pardew being prime examples. Maybe that's not the Chinese way, I dunno.

Most clubs that fail to plan/invest will sack the manager and bring in some retread in the hope of a temporary bump in results. Alardice and Pardew being prime examples. Maybe that's not the Chinese way, I dunno.
Level 42 I think you will find!

I may be wrong, usually am, but I’ve got a feeling he’ll remain Coach no matter what.
I think the South Bank will aim their anger towards the Directors Box before the Dugout.

It's exactly like this. Playing 4-2-4 with inside forwards seems utterly ridiculous to me.

Playing man to man high press without having people read the second ball is ridiculous.

Not reacting to wingers going wide and stretching your defence seems ludicrous.

Not reacting to the opposition overloading their right hand side seems negligent to me.

If I can see all of these things I'd expect a PL manager to be able to and change things.

Maresca did to great effect. GoN just can't for whatever reason.
I agree but Chelsea have so many options including our former best player - Neto. Neto might have made the difference for us - who knows.

He won't. Let's say we win 0 of the next 6. Forest, Newcastle, Villa, Liverpool, Brentford and Man City. Quite conceivable.

That would leave him on 1 win in 18 games. Who survives that, anywhere.
More importantly we would be rock bottom. Nobody survives that.

Well the next week or so will be very interesting, we need reinforcements but we also need to tweak things tactically. I said after the Rayo friendly i was worried about us in midfield on transitions and today just showed why. We can’t continue to play like that, it exposed us with a back 5 so with a 4 we’re going to leak goals. RAN was pretty poor today but for the goals in the second half both he and Toti were left too exposed because of those transitions and what Rayan/Mario and Joao are being asked to do. We can’t play Hwang and JRB in the wide positions either because generally they’re so poor with the ball and those transitions happen more often.
The less said about Sa too the better, can’t play it short, can’t play long, out of position a lot and so far not making those saves that were keeping him at this level.

Not massively worried yet because we can score goals and our issues can be sorted without taking away our goal threat but i can’t be certain that our manager can see what he has to do.

On another note, has anyone ever seen a ball leave the ground during a game at Molineux before, let alone over the Steve Bull stand?

On another note, has anyone ever seen a ball leave the ground during a game at Molineux before, let alone over the Steve Bull stand?
Cleared it comfortably too. Flight Radar has it nearing Helsinki right now.

Back