• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-0 Southampton: Verdict Thread

Thought Boly was our best player.

Jimenez is an improvement on Bonatini and offers a lot to our pattern of play and works really hard, but he's slow of thought and not a great reader of the game. He loses the ball because it takes him a second to think and by then the ball has been intercepted. If we can upgrade in January we should do.

Traore is pretty $#@!, but has that one occasion that will give you a goal. Should never start a game.

Rather him than Sako. I don't quite understand the cynicism. He'll pass it short well, keeps a decent position and scares the shit out of them when he looks forward. What he did today for that goal was sublime. Soton were no mugs at the back.

Traore is a lolzy player (where he can look terrible but next thing you know he’s set up a goal), you couldn’t trust him to start but at the same time I’m not sure Jota is doing a whole lot either.

I cba to check, but i'd imagine Traore has been involved in 40ish% of our goals. He might look 'shit', but without him we would be in the shit.

Edit - thought his positional play and short passing were much better today too. As was his tracking back, he plays right in front of me and you could definitely see a difference in involved he is with the team.

Haven't seen today but based on every other minute he's played in the league I can't think of him ever looking legitimately bad.

Ah no, at times he does look like a pub footballer. See the passage of play for his booking today. 2 minutes later and he looked like a world beater [emoji1745]

Links well with Cav though.

Back three were excellent too.

Thought back 3 and wingbacks all OK today, further forward where it wasn't good enough.

I cba to check, but i'd imagine Traore has been involved in 40ish% of our goals. He might look 'shit', but without him we would be in the shit.

Edit - thought his positional play and short passing were much better today too. As was his tracking back, he plays right in front of me and you could definitely see a difference in involved he is with the team.

Worrying that we might end up relying on him coming on a bit too much. Gets the crowd going but don't want to be in the position where our only hope is Traore running the ball into the net. Saying that though, Super Cav is back.

Thought back 3 and wingbacks all OK today, further forward where it wasn't good enough.

Worrying that we might end up relying on him coming on a bit too much. Gets the crowd going but don't want to be in the position where our only hope is Traore running the ball into the net. Saying that though, Super Cav is back.
Today he was more threatening as he was able to fight his way through the shithead defenders trying to foul him - Costa and Jota don't have the strength for that.

A decent non-bent ref and that wouldn't be needed.

Traore is important for what he can do rather than what he can't. Southampton were scared stiff when he came on and with Cav pulling the Strings it created openings that weren't coming otherwise.

I will accept the rest of his game being dreadful if he keeps popping up with assists and goals.

Ah no, at times he does look like a pub footballer. See the passage of play for his booking today. 2 minutes later and he looked like a world beater [emoji1745]

Links well with Cav though.
As long as he doesn't start looking like a pacey Yaya Sanogo!

Southampton seemed to be more interested in not losing rather than trying to win the game I thought.

When we stepped up our play they couldn't live with us but we were a bit sloppy with some of our play and let Southampton have the ball back unnecessarily. There was a 10 minute spell where we couldn't keep the ball

Jota seemed to influence the game without being at his best. Jiminez ran his heart out and kept a really cool head to setup Cavaleiro.
Stand outside for me were Coady, Boly, Moutinho and Doc

Interesting one today, first 10 we were excellent but then Southampton grew into the game. I think we need to give them a bit of credit as they pressed very well and with Lemina and (the diving) Hojbjerg they have a decent midfield two. We weren't anywhere near our best but unlike say against Forest at home last season we still won the game. As for Traore, he played a huge part in the opening goal but he is what he is, and at some point he'll probably cost us a goal losing the ball cheaply in the middle of the park. However he is massively already in the plus column goalwise and Southampton (and others) are clearly petrified to see him running at them. Another good 3 points and we move on, great to see Cav back and excellent work from Raul for the opener when things weren't going his way today.

Poor game for me up until 70 minutes. Enter Cav. Bang, 2-0.

Not that simple obviously but he really did change the whole dynamic of the match when he came on and scored within minutes. He really does offer us something we don't have through other players, so glad he's back fit. Traore had a bit of a shocker but look at the second goal, we were being pushed back again and he moved the whole side up 40 yards with one run and we ended up scoring. S'ton really didn't bother us at the back despite our worst showing for a while.

Cav MotM for me, everything changed when he came on.

One of the great things about this team is that even when we don’t play well we’re still super organised and hard to beat so we always have a chance of nicking games like this.

Not great except the start and end of the game. Never looked likely Saints would score despite periods of pressure.

Haven't seen today but based on every other minute he's played in the league I can't think of him ever looking legitimately bad.

Really?! One moment he's worse than jake cassidy and the next he's superb, to say he's never looked bad is ridiculous he just fluctuates between worldy and Sunday league level.

We were the better team today but only because Southampton are poor and incredibly conservative (not in a political sense).

P. S. Rui for motm

One of the great things about this team is that even when we don’t play well we’re still super organised and hard to beat so we always have a chance of nicking games like this.
This is the beauty of Nuno's team and today was the best example of it.

I've heard people say we didn't deserve to win. Er, yeah we did. We knew exactly what we were doing.

Cav or Moutinho MOTM.

The embarrassing half time singing contest needs to fuck off. Just put soccer Saturday on the screen and shut up.

Essentially an easy day at the office. Not for a second did I think they would score. And then Cav arrived on the scene and job done.

10 from 12 is a decent September really.

Back