• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Things that make you SAD thread.

The waterworks about me going to university is starting from my mum, she's not letting it all out but she's sitting here wiping her eyes with tissue and sniffling. Today's the 9th, I head off on the 21st... gonna be a fun 12 days

Shows how much she cares for you mate! She'll learn to deal with it :)

The waterworks about me going to university is starting from my mum, she's not letting it all out but she's sitting here wiping her eyes with tissue and sniffling. Today's the 9th, I head off on the 21st... gonna be a fun 12 days

She's gonna miss you buddy. I had waterworks BEFORE I got married. It is difficult.

Hamlet

Sorry matey, but she's will eventually cope with it, this is a decision that's going to shape the rest of your life and I don't wish to come across harsh but she is being a tad selfish. She must, in her heart of hearts, wish the best for her son, any parent would !

ps. I don't wish to be disrespectful and if it comes across like that I apologise.

Suppose Hamlet's mum is realizing that her son is no longer her boy, but a man that's leaving home to start the next stage of his life .

I'm sure she will soon come to terms with it , and she'll be renting your old room out within 2 months :)

Hamlet - not sure if your an only child or the youngest, this will always make it more poignant.

Just reassure her that you will make contact reasonably regularly (not too often as that would be creepy) & will visit for a couple of days during the holidays (not for too long though as you need to grow your own wings & experience other opportunities).

It is a right of passage that all parents have to go through - the vast majority of us do so & end up feeling incredibly proud that we have produced valued members of the human race.

Hamlet - not sure if your an only child or the youngest, this will always make it more poignant.

Just reassure her that you will make contact reasonably regularly (not too often as that would be creepy) & will visit for a couple of days during the holidays (not for too long though as you need to grow your own wings & experience other opportunities).

It is a right of passage that all parents have to go through - the vast majority of us do so & end up feeling incredibly proud that we have produced valued members of the human race.

Yeah, I'm the youngest and I was expecting this but it doesn't make it any easier - it will get better and I will be keeping in contact with her of course (that and I come back weekends) but it'll be tough for now! She's actually talking about moving to Nottingham though...not during my first year but maybe the 2nd/3rd year! Dunno if that would happen!

Yeah, I'm the youngest and I was expecting this but it doesn't make it any easier - it will get better and I will be keeping in contact with her of course (that and I come back weekends) but it'll be tough for now! She's actually talking about moving to Nottingham though...not during my first year but maybe the 2nd/3rd year! Dunno if that would happen!

If Nottingham is where you are going then your Mum moving there is really not a great idea. Parents have to come to terms that their children move out into the world & that their lives cannot include them for every moment. Both my boys moved out at 19 & whilst it is hard I have gained real satisfaction from seeing their successes. Speak to them regularly, see them less often though they do live 100 miles away & have busy careers.

The first few months were quite hard, but she needs to allow you to grow. As long as you can agree to make regular contact she needs to accept that is enough.

If Nottingham is where you are going then your Mum moving there is really not a great idea. Parents have to come to terms that their children move out into the world & that their lives cannot include them for every moment. Both my boys moved out at 19 & whilst it is hard I have gained real satisfaction from seeing their successes. Speak to them regularly, see them less often though they do live 100 miles away & have busy careers.

The first few months were quite hard, but she needs to allow you to grow. As long as you can agree to make regular contact she needs to accept that is enough.

Well, let's hope she can come to realise that too in time - of course I'm not going to say anything about that now but give it some months with me being in uni and hopefully she'll get used to it!

If she suggests moving to Nottingham I'd be firm and tell her no. She has to give you space to enjoy yourself just make sure you reinforce that you won't forget about her and you'll visit as often as possible.

Don't commit to going back EVERY weekend because otherwise you'll miss out on things YOU want to do in Nottingham too. Go back a couple of times a month if you want to but a lot happens on weekends at Uni too.

Sorry if this sounds a tad harsh, but I think mum needs to think of her own life , and let you get on with yours Hamlet. Word of advice for when you get married and have kids, don't have a granny flat extension added on .

Well, let's hope she can come to realise that too in time - of course I'm not going to say anything about that now but give it some months with me being in uni and hopefully she'll get used to it!

She will be fine mate, I had the same issue when I went off to Uni as I'm the youngest, it really upset her and because i was a selfish 19 year old I didn't really give a shit. I didnt even want her to come with me in the car to drop me off because I didn't want any dramatics.

It makes me sad to realise what a selfish prick I can be/have been at times, always the people closest to you that get it too.

God I feel old...I can still remember being dropped off for my 1st day of uni and it was 15 years ago now!!!

I wouldn't worry about it, in a few years time when you've graduated, she's got used to not having you around and you tell her you're coming home, that's when the real tears will start.

Todays date makes me feel sad. 11th September. Who can ever forget those terrible scenes that unfolded before our eyes twelve years ago.

Todays date makes me feel sad. 11th September. Who can ever forget those terrible scenes that unfolded before our eyes twelve years ago.

Its hard to believe it was 12 years ago now - I haven't seen much in the media about it today, although there was a piece in the Telegraph yesterday showing with some photos, its still as shocking and as powerful as it was all those years ago

Its a date that will always be remembered with sadness and utter madness. And I'm sure we can all remember where we were ,and what we were doing on that terrible morning . Hard to believe 12 years have passed, seems like only yesterday .

Back