• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

30mill sounds like too much for a player on the wrong side of 30 years old.

I think at this point in our development we've got to accept that there are a few older players who we'll pay big money to/for, in order to get a couple of excellent seasons out of them in the hunt for a top 4 spot. The idea that we'll get there just signing young lads is a bit championship manager tbf.

I think at this point in our development we've got to accept that there are a few older players who we'll pay big money to/for, in order to get a couple of excellent seasons out of them in the hunt for a top 4 spot. The idea that we'll get there just signing young lads is a bit championship manager tbf.
Not aimed at you specifically Del, but do people really think the Top 4 or even 6 is really on? I've seen Paddy make comments that would suggest similar. Personally I just don't see it and that's before we go down the Europe route.

70 points will get you there or thereabouts, and we've got 13 points worth of improvement in us over the next two seasons imo. Chelsea and United are spent forces imo. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting it as such, but it's got to be what we're aiming for really.

If we're not aiming for top 4 or 6 in the next few seasons Fosun may as well sell up and is fans start to accept this is as good as it gets. We may not make it but it has to be the aim and it is possible. Our transfer dealings the last couple of years have been excellent and a similarly good window this summer will surely give us a fair chance even this season.

Manchester United are as weak as you could hope to see. Chelsea will have a new manager, a transfer ban and have lost their star player. Arsenal have an appalling defence and seemingly a tiny transfer budget.

They should all be firmly in our sights.

I don't think we can take last year's results against the top 6 as a given for this season. It was a hell of an achievement, but I'd be amazed if we get the same points haul from those teams again this season. If we finish 7th again it'd be a huge result for us, imo.

I don't think we can take last year's results against the top 6 as a given for this season. It was a hell of an achievement, but I'd be amazed if we get the same points haul from those teams again this season. If we finish 7th again it'd be a huge result for us, imo.

I am in this camp, but I also see what Paddy & Wop are saying. Arsenal, Chelsea & Man Utd are probably weaker than they've been since the PL started. If someone can get their shit together, than there is a real opportunity to break in to the top 6.

That said, there is no guarantee we will pick up the same number of points against the top sides that we did last season. You'd like to think we'll find a way of beating some of the sides lower down the table next time around but again, that's not a given. Throw in a couple of local derby games where form goes out the window, plus hopefully a run in Europe - and we could quite easily finish 4th or 14th next season.

Not aimed at you specifically Del, but do people really think the Top 4 or even 6 is really on? I've seen Paddy make comments that would suggest similar. Personally I just don't see it and that's before we go down the Europe route.

I think at least one of the current top six will drop out - whether it is us or Leicester, or Everton who take their spot I don't know.

I'm confident Nuno and his staff will be well prepared for Europe, as tough as it will be competing in both competitions at the same time. I think we will be top half at a minimum though.

As much as we won’t get results against the “top sides” (we only got 1 point from city, 0 Liverpool and 3 from spurs anyway), I think we are actually better than Man Utd and possibly Arsenal, and who knows how Chelsea will be with no Hazard, an ageing squad and a transfer ban. If we played United and Arsenal 100 times I think we’d win more than them.

But it’s not that simple, the mentality and depth of the team/club is not on their level. And that makes a difference both to you and your opposition.

Seen a few different versions of this knocking around

Belgian outlet HBVL have claimed that Wolverhampton Wanderers and Southampton are both interested in signing £17.8million-rated Inter Milan teenager Zinho Vanheusden this summer.

The 19-year-old joined Standard Liege last summer on loan, the club that he joined Inter Milan’s youth team from in 2015. He has clocked up 30 league and cup appearances for the Belgian side

We are capable of troubling the top six - MU, Arsenal & Chelsea are possibly not going to be as strong.

The Europa will test us a bit, but isn't that why we got here. Others will challenge as well (Leicester & Everton the most likely)

Will be more than interesting to see how we progress from the current base.

Ruben Vinagre is being targeted by Lyon this summer. Reports in Portugal claim they are keen on the 20-year-old as they seek a replacement Ferland Mendy who recently joined Real Madrid. [O Jogo]
Can’t see us letting him go, but I’ve heard a little rumour doing the rounds that Vinny believes he should be first choice. I’d be extremely disappointed if we let him go - but I don’t think we will unless he genuinely isn’t happy. Doesn’t strike me as the type to cause trouble.

Can’t see us letting him go, but I’ve heard a little rumour doing the rounds that Vinny believes he should be first choice. I’d be extremely disappointed if we let him go - but I don’t think we will unless he genuinely isn’t happy. Doesn’t strike me as the type to cause trouble.

Would be unhappy if we did let him go - he has a mass of potential (though no way of knowing whether it will be fulfilled at this stage)

With Europa league action this season he will get more opportunities this season so unless he is really pissed off with us would expect him to still be here.

He wanted to go, he wants first team football and believes he's good enough to have that here. From what I've heard though he's now happy to stay so I expect to see a lot more of him this season.

Europe will help a lot. I think we should have played him more last season tbh, particularly against sides that played deeper. I expect him to be the number one choice by the end of the season though - we need to give the kid games, he's going to end up being a phenomenal player.

And that's the thing, he probably is good enough - at this level, at least, if not necessarily quite in front of Jonny or Doc here at the moment. So I wouldn't blame him for believing in himself, he's on a pretty steep upwards curve at the moment when you factor in his international experiences as well.

It's one of those 'good' problems to have but still takes a bit of nous to manage properly. He does need to be playing more if he's going to develop like he should.

Back