• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man Utd 1-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Thought Gary O’Neil’s post match interview on Sky was excellent.
Said all the right things. Came across as measured and convincing.
A good evening for the club in all ways, except the result

A badly needed good evening after the negativity that has been rife since May, too.

I understand GON is the sitting head coach but that performance was a continuation of the form shown in preseason.

For all the criticism levelled at JL, that was his team out there tonight. Full credit to JL and his staff for having this group of players looking so well drilled and so fit.

He's left us in good nick, even if Guo, Shi and the board have not.

Why didn't Lopetegui just do this last season away from home then, same players available as we ain't signed no fucker.

I understand GON is the sitting head coach but that performance was a continuation of the form shown in preseason.

For all the criticism levelled at JL, that was his team out there tonight. Full credit to JL and his staff for having this group of players looking so well drilled and so fit.

He's left us in good nick, even if Guo, Shi and the board have not.
Agree entirely that was Lopetegui’s team but he never played like that in away games.

He was fantastic tonight. World class ability with the ball but I’m struggling to think of a player with such a disparity between that and finishing ability.

Like he doesn’t Just get unlucky, he’s completely misses the target consistently.
Play him at #10 with a #9 and he’ll be unplayable

The key for tonight was to see if the team were playing for each other and the manager, and they did in spades.

Every player beside Sa gets a lot of credit for me. Cunha, Gomes, Nunes and Lemina at the top of that list, RAN and then a ways off Sarabia at the other.

Sa actually looked more jittery and nervous than last season. Needs to dial that right back if he's got it in him.

Very promising, best team lost but excited for Saturday. Being entertained for a full 90 again is something I could get used to.

Can see why O'Neil impressed Hobbs... Said all the right things post-match, forthright about the penalty and injustice but not whinging, diplomatic about our transfer situation, rightly praised the great away support...needs to get the same level of performance at Molineux next weekend now
He needs to win. Lage did well in his first 3 games, lost them all.

Would it be fair to say that we played that well because we had Lop in charge for the summer?

I think so, I think this is how Lop was trying to mould the team. I hope GON can get a tune out of these players because that was an excellent team perfomance. We know what we have in Sa and I think we'd all like an upgrade between the sticks. Unless the Schmeichel rumour has legs I think we're stuck with him.

Excellent performance from Wolves, chance creation was superb, chance conversion off again. Cunha played very well but doesn't score, play him behind Silva who looked up for it when he came on. Midfield was very good. VAR checking for a penalty in injury time? We all knew the outcome, eh?

GO after the game: "no surprise it wasn't given" with a knowing smirk, love it

Why didn't Lopetegui just do this last season away from home then, same players available as we ain't signed no fucker.
There's much to be said for having a full preseason. He also inherited a squad down in its luck and playing with fear. He had to integrate new signings mid season too.

Let's not pretend that the job he had to do last season wasn't difficult or that he never achieved his objective with games to spare.

There's much to be said for having a full preseason. He also inherited a squad down in its luck and playing with fear. He had to integrate new signings mid season too.

Let's not pretend that the job he had to do last season wasn't difficult or that he never achieved his objective with games to spare.

I don’t think anyone is doubting Lopetegui did a brilliant job last season, but he wasn’t the manager in the dugout tonight.

Sure he maybe contributed to the fitness and the ‘nick’ but did GON walk in last Friday and go “OK lads, let’s stick to what JL taught us then”

It was moderately difficult. Less so after dropping £80m completely revamping the spine of the team.

And in February was pushing the top 8 before it collapsed.
After this summer I would snap all your limbs off to get a similar season.
I would snap yours off too for that

Back