• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Leo Bonatini

Is he good enough?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apparently he has an £8m release clause upon relegation. He could finish when he first arrived and was great at Malaga. I'd take him for that price.

Don't think I've derided him in general. I might have told you in PTG that I don't want a striker who has scored 2 in 42 or something.

I'm sure someone was massively slating him once upon time, and as you're the most negative guy here... :icon_wink:

It was probably just someone else tbh.

Apparently he has an £8m release clause upon relegation. He could finish when he first arrived and was great at Malaga. I'd take him for that price.

I'd take him for that price as well, he used to be a proper quality forward and I was surprised when he turned up at Albion. In true Albion style though he's had any quality knocked out of him. I reckon he'd thrive here.

10 goals this year for a piss poor team, like I say as a reserve instead of Afobe probably for similar or less money.

Well, six league goals. At a worse GPG rate than Kevin Doyle managed for us in 2010/11.

Rodriguez is finished at that level IMO. That injury has knackered him.

Depends what we bring in. Bet you we get £5m or so for Danny Batth, for instance.
Extremely generous valuation for a very limited defender who isn't particularly good.

Yet you don't think we'd get the same for one of our best performers this season.

We need to learn from the past. We signed Johnson Doyle ohara from teams who were relegated. That may have been what we were about under Morgan but it's not us now. I can't think of any baggies player i would want here. Same with stoke. Not how we are thinking now. It appears to be a completely different mindset. So I will change mine accordingly.

Easily get £4-5m for Batth. Doherty is now worth £6m+ although I see Ryan Fredericks contract is up in the summer. And no to palyers from relegated teams: as someone said a while back, they were relegated for a reason

I’m ok with Doc as a squad player ie we must get an upgrade in the off season.

As for Leo, I forgot he missed doing a pre-season which may explain why he’s fallen away in the last 4 months. He was an integral part of the team that was flying in the 1st half of the season; assuming a good pre-season and a fee that is reasonable I can see him as a squad player - my thinking has changed re Benik - Leo’s game just suits our style so much better.

Of course the assumption is we’ll be heavily into a top notch striker that fits our pattern of play.

Last edited:
I would take Joe Allen if Stoke go down.

I would take Joe Allen if Stoke go down.

This is a good shout, good pro and a quality player on the ball. Unfortunately surrounded by a shower of shit and two piss poor managers at Clayhead FC.

I think we are looking at better than Joe Allen, to be honest. Tidy footballer, not sure he'd work in our system though.

There are very few if any players in the bottom three that I would want. Butland but he'll be joining a top six team probably.

I think we are looking at better than Joe Allen, to be honest. Tidy footballer, not sure he'd work in our system though.

There are very few if any players in the bottom three that I would want. Butland but he'll be joining a top six team probably.

I think he'd work really well next to Neves. High work rate and good experience.

I too was thinking about Joe Allen and would be happy with him but suspect we will be after younger, foreign players

On Leo, you could forgive him for a drop off in goals if his general play was still at a reasonable level - but it's not. His complete & utter drop off in form, confidence, goals and overall performance has been staggering. Put it down to lack of pre-season or whatever, but the facts are, if it's happening in the Championship, it's only going to get worse next season.

Don't get me wrong, he seems like a nice guy - and I'm sure we all enjoy his pre-match posters that he posts to social media, but I look for other things in a centre forward playing for Wolverhampton Wanderers. He scored some important goals earlier in the season and some of his link up play was superb, but I just can't see him doing enough (or being given the chance to after his performance on Friday) to earn himself a contract from here on in.

There are two examples of his current performance levels that stick in my mind from the Cardiff game. One when he dropped in to space around the half way line and the ball was played in to his feet from Coady. Leo controlled it with one foot, it bounced off his other shin and then rolled underneath his studs away from him, allowing Cardiff to attack us again. And the second one was when he layed it off to Afobe, who beat a man, looked up to see if anyone had made a run for him, only to look sideways and see Leo waddling along looking for the square pass again (except he was now marked). No desire to break forward or get in the box (probably due to lack of confidence) & he was stifling our attack.

This may sound harsh, but it's a no from me. I believe we'll be looking at much bigger and better options next season.

This may sound harsh, but it's a no from me. I believe we'll be looking at much bigger and better options next season.

Not harsh, just a statement of jintent - would love to know if something has upset Leo, such as hints of him not being offered a deal next year - he’s a shadow of the player he was pre-Christmas.

If the bonatini who played to December was here then he certainly looked decent. Hence why 70 of us thought he was good enough. His form has failed so much. He isn't doing 30% of what he was doing then. Did he contribute? He'll yes. Will be be here next year? No

Players from the current bottom 3 I'd take:
Cedric (could play wing back or RCH)
Bertrand
Lemina
Austin (after a bloody good medical)
Butland (out of our reach)
Allen
Rodriguez (as above about the medical)
Dawson (at a push as the right of the back 3)
Shakiri is also a top class player, but he wouldn't fit our system
It's a bit ignorant to say they got relegated so they can't be any good, anyone who wouldn't take Bertrand for instance needs to give their head a wobble.
It's also conveniently forgotten when referring to last time that we signed Fletcher from a relegated side and doubled our money. That version of him would be perfect for our formation now.

On a separate note James Maddison is going to be some player. He's different to Neves as he gets into the box more. In the Championship I think it'd leave us too light in midfield, but in the PL where I think we'll see the wing backs tucking in a bit more it could well work. He's going to cost £15m and will have a number of options, but with us he may start whereas he won't at Spurs or Arsenal

Back