• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Leo Bonatini

Is he good enough?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd rather sign Leo for £5m than Afobe for 10, but sadly if it were down to me I wouldn't sign either unless we thought we could flip them straight away for a profit.

I think we'll be buying much better than both in the summer. Aboubacar and Silva would be my guess.

Personally I'd still keep Afobe, assuming he is happy to sit on the bench, for that ability he has to score against teams with a high line (which I think we will see a lot more of next season), and look to upgrade on Leo.

Leo has been abysmal. He’s forgot how to control a football which was his greatest strength. Afobe hasn’t been much better, but is from now in the team by default as Jota is either unfit, fatigued or lost a bit mentally

Yup, Leo has lose everything that made him so good at the start of the season. There's no room for sentiment in this new Wolves either so I'm not sure we'll see him again this year, certainly not next.

I do think the lack of a pre-season, and being thrown straight into the team has played a big part in his drop off personally. You don’t become a bad player overnight.

Whether we sign him or not I don’t know. I’d happily have him in the squad next season but we might have bigger plans!

Some of Leo's control last night was shocking and he is just so slow. Would rather keep Afobe for his goal threat but we'll be signing a new first choice striker I'm sure.

I so, so want him to return to his best but unfortunately he looks like a player who knows he's not being kept on :(

I wonder if we turned down the chance to make it permanent in the transfer window and that has affected him?

There’s no way we’ve told him we’re not signing him half way through the season, it’s a bullshit rumour.

Different calibre and credentials, but Boly’s future isn’t 100% clear and he’s getting better not worse.

Jota was signed to seal the deal to prevent him attracting further attention etc and possibly getting his head turned. Shame he hasn’t really performed to his pre Xmas level in the second half of the season.

Reading this thread back is fun. This comment is especially funny given the graphic Deutsch just posted.
Not so funny now when he is actually shit even worse than i thought he would be.

Oh behave. Yes he has had a bad run. Yes we probably won't take him on in the summer. But his contribution this season has still been considerable.

Absolutely, Leo set the tone and style of play for the team from the very start. The first goal against boro set us off too.

We wouldn't be where we are without him and we should bloody well be grateful for him and show some respect.

Leo has been excellent this season. His form in the early part of the season is a major factor in where we've found ourselves now and he's been a key part in some of the best games I've been to and some of the best football I've ever seen us play. That Villa goal will always be one of my favourite Wolves goals, for personal reasons it was one of the most emotional games I've ever attended and I'll never forget how I felt when the ball hit the net.

Calling him shit is not just disrespectful, it's downright moronic and shows just how little some people understand the game. Personally I hope we do sign him in the summer, £5M is a steal. He might not be playing brilliantly atm but class is permanent, form is temporary and Leo Bonatini is pure class.

Maybe with a proper pre-season under his belt with us he'd be better.

File under another who has found this league tough going after looking good early on. It's no disgrace just one of those things.

I'd still sign him. 100%. Sure, he's out of form now but he's clearly a very intelligent player who just looks out of form and confidence at the moment. I find it really disappointing that players are written off after losing a bit of form for various reasons (Helder Costa anyone?) and people saying so as a point scoring exercise need to have a long hard look at themselves tbh.

I don't think we will end up signing him now, but he's clearly a good player. If he were some shithouse merely on a freakish run where goals were flying in off his arse and he was contributing nothing else pre-Christmas (hello Leon), then you could understand the derision. His general play was far too good for that to be the case though.

Leo was superb start of the season.
He is a pale shadow of his former self.
Maybe it's lack of. Pre season and he is tiring badly.

Currently he looks shocking would i sign him? yes on a 12 month deal if it's a cheap enough deal.
Just to see if it is lack of a pre season because the player that played before Xmas was superb.

You can’t sign him as he’s a clever player etc. He did well at the start and he’s an OK player. Is he anywhere where we want to be? No chance. His horrendous lack of pace is always going to let him down. Pace isn’t everything, but yo need to actually be able to move. Someone like Glenn Murray has no pace but he can actually move to an extent, has decent touch and knows where the goal is. Murray is a better player than Bonatini and we wouldn’t be looking to sign him

Ultimately I think his real lack of pace will be an issue playing up front in a higher league. We don't need extreme pace up front, but often he looks slower than pretty much all the CBs he comes up against. I'd still be happy if we kept him as a squad option though.

Even in his pre-Christmas form he'd need improving on for the Premier League, if post-Christmas is return to the norm then not even worth considering.

Think it's 50/50 at the minute but at best he's going to be spending a lot of time on the bench next season, he wouldn't particularly be a priority if it were my decision. He's a reasonable enough footballer but even when playing well he seems to have times where his technique just complete escapes him and he looks like he doesn't know how to kick a ball properly. His lack of drive to get back into the box after doing the link up playing is a bit disappointing too, hanging back in space will work sometimes but others you've just got to try and bust a gut to get across your man, he rarely does.

Back