• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Leo Bonatini

Is he good enough?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He's playing centre forward for the best team in the league, the stats say he's scored more goals than anyone else and missed more chances which is exactly what you'd expect.

He hasn't missed more chances though - his shots per goal ratio is the best of the strikers.

I will continue the debate a little with (I hope) a polite comment

Dino - you said "so he either needs to shoot more, or be more accurate (clinical)"

That just seems a very strange thing to say about a bloke who has the best shots per goal ratio in the division, and is also the joint top scorer. What do you actually want? Him having 200 shots a season and the same shots to goals conversion rate? He would be annihilating the field in the European golden boot with that sort of stat.

For most strikers one goal every two games is considered pretty damn clinical. Leo is better than that for us.

I was just answering someone else's comment with a 'tongue in cheek' remark.

I like Bonatini and have said that I hope we sign him permanently as he is a quality player. If he continues to score as he has then I'll be over the moon. Won't stop me wishing for more though.

He hasn't missed more chances though - his shots per goal ratio is the best of the strikers.
Arbitrary stat I know, but...

1eb07607316bcb2ce7caab5650f97008.jpg

I was just answering someone else's comment with a 'tongue in cheek' remark.

I like Bonatini and have said that I hope we sign him permanently as he is a quality player. If he continues to score as he has then I'll be over the moon. Won't stop me wishing for more though.

And that wish is laudable as if it comes off then we are getting better and better and better. If he could be getting to where you wish then we are talking a championship striking season that would be legend. Stats beyond anything Bully achieved in this division.

I also really hope desperately that we sign him on January 1st. When he signed I wasn't sure I would be saying that. Now I am delighted with him.

Dino doesn't need rescuing but I do get his point . if I were to criticise Leo he doesn't always covert his easiest chance. He has missed opportunities in games and then scored from a harder chance. But that is me trying to be harsh on him. His conversion rate ius excellent. Just think wheat it would be with the three or four near misses he has had.

If he did convert those three or four then we are looking at over quarter of a season at Gerd Muller striking levels. Wow.

I get where Dino is coming from.

Bonatini is doing excellently but there have been a few chances you would have expected him to put away - regardless of whether he's put the harder chances away or not. Yes, he's the top goalscorer and has been bloody brilliant for us but like everything in life there is always room for improvement. I also have half an eye on the prem where chances will be less ubiquitous.

Bonatini scores some very good goals, but he does tend to miss the easier chances.

Cant believe Leo is getting so many negatives still. Beyond belief.

Bonatini has scored 10 goals from 41 shots according to whoscored(not always the most accurate but should be ok for this) Yes he misses chances but so do the best, Aguero misses some absolute great chances and Kane definitely does, those 2 are the top goalscorers in the Premier League.

Kane has scored 8 goals from 59 shots and Aguero has scored 8 goals from 29 shots, Morata has 7 in 28, Lukaku has 7 in 38.

Looking in the Championship, Assombalonga has 8 in 37, Reid has 9 in 35 so Bonatini really isn't doing too bad. Bowen is the one real standout in the Championship who has 8 in 26.

If you add in all of the other work that he does then Bonatini is a top player for this league and while he does miss some easy chances he's there to get them and then does inevitably take one.

Bonatini scores some very good goals, but he does tend to miss the easier chances.

He has missed a couple of easy ones and scored a couple of easy ones as well.

I guess we are not used to our strikers having 2 or 3 decent chances a game. Spent 2 seasons watching them struggle to get 3 decent chances over 3 games.

Ahhhh another stats argument, the joys of modern football.

One little thing that I think would balance out Kane/Aguero's figures with Bonatini. They probably both attempt a lot more audacious/long range efforts than Bonatini, who I wouldn't have thought could have more than a handful of efforts from outside the box this season. Also, comparing him to other Championship players he's more likely to be presented with better chances than his peers given the quality of players supporting him, so it's perhaps not that surprising he beats their shots to goals ratio. Think it's a case for a more detailed look at it, not sure if there's a resource that has gathered an expected goals per player that could be used to more accurately measure their conversion rate.

I think you are onto something there. If Leo can be delivering these stats, and yet is still top of the "missed big chances" stat that Tony showed, then it clearly suggests where all his work is being done.

On the Fancast a couple weeks ago they mentioned that despite how good Bonatini's end product is, you don't quite look at him the same way because he just looks like he shouldn't be very good. I said it when we signed him: he almost looks like he'd be more at home playing Warhammer on a tabletop than playing football alongside Diogo Jota. He just isn't your typical athletic specimen.

It's not really fair to him but I think it's a decent observation by the Fancast and probably something that does just shade public perception of him.

Back