• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Leo Bonatini

Is he good enough?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I didn't say Bonatini was 'not clinical', his goal tally proves that, I just wish he was 'more' clinical.

It's my opinion and I know it may be unpopular but I still think he misses too many easy chances. I also think that Aguero or Kane miss less chances percentage wise than Bonatini so they are both more clinical.

As I said I'm not complaining, I just hope he keeps improving

But they are both worth £50-£200m (crazy market...), so naturally will be more clinical than our £5m mate Leo from novelty Saudi league.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/137269/Show/Léo-Bonatini

He has 2.7 shots a game according to WhoScored. Even if he had played 90 minutes in every single game so far (he hasn't, not by a long shot) then that would mean he averages a goal every 4.32 shots, allowing for a full match.

Aguero has 4.1 shots a game and has 11 goals in 11 appearances (a goal every 4.10 shots) and Kane has 5.6 shots a game with 13 goals from 14 appearances (a goal every 6.03 shots).

But they are both worth £50-£200m (crazy market...), so naturally will be more clinical than our £5m mate Leo from novelty Saudi league.

Oh I agree. It wasn't me that brought their names into the discussion.

Aguero had 2 of the 3 best chances in the City game. The one that was pulled back and the one where he just needed to round Norris. He missed them both and he’s one of the best strikers in the world.

Aguero had 2 of the 3 best chances in the City game. The one that was pulled back and the one where he just needed to round Norris. He missed them both and he’s one of the best strikers in the world.

I've seen Kane miss from one yard this season as well.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/137269/Show/Léo-Bonatini

He has 2.7 shots a game according to WhoScored. Even if he had played 90 minutes in every single game so far (he hasn't, not by a long shot) then that would mean he averages a goal every 4.32 shots, allowing for a full match.

Aguero has 4.1 shots a game and has 11 goals in 11 appearances (a goal every 4.10 shots) and Kane has 5.6 shots a game with 13 goals from 14 appearances (a goal every 6.03 shots).

So he either needs to shoot more, or be more accurate (clinical).

Anyway, Leo is also up for official player of the month. Hopefully he can win both.

Amazingly Nuno isn't even in the shortlist for manager of the month, which is frankly fucking bizarre

Leo has a reputation for profligacy based on what I gathered from Al-Hilal sites (granted, this was through a lot of dodgy google translating), so it's not like such a claim against him is new.

That said, he's scoring enough that it's not a problem as yet, and some of his goals are crazy finishes that he has no business scoring. No reason to disparage him for his clinical-ness (or lack thereof) right now.

So he either needs to shoot more, or be more accurate (clinical).

He is averaging a goal every 1.6 games. He is clinical as fuck. If that was over a season you would be looking at almost thirty goals this season which is absolute top end figures.

Much beyond that and you are into Gerd Muller territory. (453 appearances for Bayern, 398 goals)

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/134427/Show/Britt-Assombalonga

Fat Britt: 2.3 shots a game, 8 in 16 appearances, a goal every 4.6 shots. Except he cost three times what Leo will cost us. And has scored fewer at a lower rate.

I wouldn't deny Leo has missed a few that he should have stuck away. But that applies to literally every striker ever. If you're expecting someone who puts away every single "easy" chance then you'll be waiting for eternity as that player does not exist.

I remember seeing original fat Ronaldo miss a couple. Should have been more clinical, that one.

It's amazing how people put words in your mouth to suit their point of view.

I didn't say Bonatini wasn't clinical I simply said I wish he was more clinical. I also didn't say anything about expecting him to score every 'easy' chance.

So what proportion do you want him to score? Or expect him to score?

I'm sure Spurs hope Harry Kane scores 35 goals for them this year rather than 25, but they'll take what he normally offers being as very few strikers in Europe will better that. I saw them play West Ham a few weeks ago and he could have had six. I'm sure Spurs were ok with him scoring two.

I'm being a touch facetious but the point that's being missed is that we create enough for it to mean that when our striker (and we only have one) misses a presentable chance - as clearly, even the very best do - he'll get another one soon enough. Whereas in far too many seasons since 2009, it's been a case of "miss your chance, well tough luck son, you aren't getting another one".

I'd happily bet on Leo missing another 10 "easy" chances between now and May. I'd also happily bet on him getting 20 goals. Which is what we all wanted, apparently.

I will continue the debate a little with (I hope) a polite comment

Dino - you said "so he either needs to shoot more, or be more accurate (clinical)"

That just seems a very strange thing to say about a bloke who has the best shots per goal ratio in the division, and is also the joint top scorer. What do you actually want? Him having 200 shots a season and the same shots to goals conversion rate? He would be annihilating the field in the European golden boot with that sort of stat.

For most strikers one goal every two games is considered pretty damn clinical. Leo is better than that for us.

I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but for me it's important how strikers react when they miss chances (and as is being discussed, ALL strikers miss chances).

Bonatini reminds me of Bully in the way that simply getting a chance raises his confidence. Other strikers - the best example I can think of being Jake Cassidy - let their heads drop after missing a chance, but the best strikers don't do that. They know they were in the right place to get that chance, and they play on that.

It's amazing how people put words in your mouth to suit their point of view.

I didn't say Bonatini wasn't clinical I simply said I wish he was more clinical. I also didn't say anything about expecting him to score every 'easy' chance.
I don't think anyone is putting words in your mouth. The point being made is that on current form and given his conversion rate it's hard for him to be 'more clinical' than he is already.

Anyway, Leo is also up for official player of the month. Hopefully he can win both.

Amazingly Nuno isn't even in the shortlist for manager of the month, which is frankly $#@!ing bizarre
Not really we lost a game whereas the other 4 didn't.
Rowett W4
Holloway W2 D2 and the wins were against the Top 2
Smith W3 D1
Parkinson W1 D3 from bottom of the league

I don't think anyone is putting words in your mouth. The point being made is that on current form and given his conversion rate it's hard for him to be 'more clinical' than he is already.

That's your point of view and you're entitled to it. I'm entitled to wish aren't I? That's what I did, 'wish he was more clinical'.

That's your point of view and you're entitled to it. I'm entitled to wish aren't I? That's what I did, 'wish he was more clinical'.
Of course you are entitled to an opinion. Where have I stated that you are not?

Back