• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-2 Arsenal: Verdict Thread

I think the fact we’re grasping for positivity after a 0-2 defeat says a lot in itself.
Ultimate fact remains we were good in the middle 3rd but impotent in the attacking 3rd and sloppy in the defensive 3rd.
We’re just very poor where it really matters, constant individual errors tells you that some individuals aren’t good enough.
The reason we show signs of possible recovery is that we’ve got some good technicians in the middle of the park but squad is horribly imbalanced.
It’ll take some exceptional coaching and transfer dealing to retrieve this he’s got two major issues to resolve.
Bottom line is we are 5 points off safety, that's a sizeable gap, not impossible, but when you've already played the other 2 in the relegation zone at home, it's a tall ask. 2 games just to get out of it when we've won 2 all season

Boubacar Traore was great. Bueno and Toti the more accomplished side of defence.
Nathan Collins is a downgrade on Romain Saiss. Don’t think there’s a single aspect of his game he’s better at, at least Saiss might get you a goal.

Ultimately we went to the Nuno park the bus counter but don’t look like scoring and will always concede at least one.

Boubacar Traore was great. Bueno and Toti the more accomplished side of defence.
Nathan Collins is a downgrade on Romain Saiss. Don’t think there’s a single aspect of his game he’s better at, at least Saiss might get you a goal.

Ultimately we went to the Nuno park the bus counter but don’t look like scoring and will always concede at least one.
Traore and Guedes were both positives. Gomes less of an issue in a 3. Collins is a concern, selling himself high up the pitch and then jogging back for the chance that Jesus hit the bar with was a bad look.

I thought he was a great signing, difficult to justify that view at the moment

Stayed at home to watch this as not been well recently, not massively fussed I missed it.

Plenty of arguments on here and elsewhere that we played well, were unlucky, Arsenal in 3rd gear, plenty of positives etc etc. The bottom line is, yet again we have rarely threatened to score and created very little and unless this is addressed we can play as well as we want, we will go down.

We did, one in each half. They were routine but he did have to make them.

Our finishing and shots on angles were woeful. I'm hoping attacking wise Lopetegui gives us a plan as it's poor stuff.

Contrary to @Alan I think our players are standing up for themselves much more than they were under Lage.

But we were beaten by the better team and they happen to be the best team in England.
I will freely admit that I'm prone to negativity at times like these and therefore am likely being unfair to the players, with them being the next logical blame victim with Lage gone.

Emotions complicate things, etc.

Mike Dean can eat my shit. As for us, same old same old. Powder puff in defence and attack. The team has no real cohesion and is just a group of half decent players cobbled together by Mendes, to suit his needs, rather than the old gold. No centre-forward. Our most expensive signing starts on the bench. Collins and Kilman continue to worry me. Guedes got a load of shots off from quite acute angles, yet when he's through centrally, decides not to pull the trigger. Adama frustrating again. A lot for JL to sort out. MOTM - Boubacar. Ran his socks off. Bueno and Toti did well.

Traore and Guedes were both positives. Gomes less of an issue in a 3. Collins is a concern, selling himself high up the pitch and then jogging back for the chance that Jesus hit the bar with was a bad look.

Collins is certainly not the player Burnley fans said we were getting.

Bottom line is we are 5 points off safety, that's a sizeable gap, not impossible, but when you've already played the other 2 in the relegation zone at home, it's a tall ask. 2 games just to get out of it when we've won 2 all season

Yep if we were hovering above the drop or striking distance of getting out of it fair enough, if were creating chances or losing 2-3 every game I could see the signs for some optimism.
We can’t keep burning games saying “well we did ok, we’ll get something next time”
I admire people’s optimism but for me it’s based on snippets of decent play in a few games and hoping that Julen is able to weave some magic.
Being pragmatic won’t get us out of this.

Collins is a concern, selling himself high up the pitch and then jogging back for the chance that Jesus hit the bar with was a bad look.

Think we thought he was good as we wanted him to be good. Same goes for Kilman I guess.

Collins doesn’t look solid at all. Slow, Doesn’t look particular dominant despite his size. Awkward on the ball, and haven’t seen him get near an attacking set piece. Saiss would always be physically dominant, good on the ball and our biggest threat from set pieces.

Did the back line need freshening up in the summer? Yes
Is what we had better than what we’ve got now? Hell yes
The more you look at it the more mind boggling it becomes especially considering the previous manager had so little confidence in his back up CH.

Think we thought he was good as we wanted him to be good. Same goes for Kilman I guess.

Collins doesn’t look solid at all. Slow, Doesn’t look particular dominant despite his size. Awkward on the ball, and haven’t seen him get near an attacking set piece. Saiss would always be physically dominant, good on the ball and our biggest threat from set pieces.
He really isn't slow, not sure what your watching there. You're making him out to be worse than Paul Blades when he really isn't.

He's certainly not had a good few months but he has all the tools to do well.

Thought he strode forward well with the ball too.

I think you're seeing what you want to here.

Last edited:
Have we heard any lame excuses from the PL as to why a penalty wasn’t awarded?

He really isn't slow, not sure what your watching there. Your making him out to be wise than Paul Blades when he really isn't.

He's certainly not had a good few months but he has all the tools to do well.

Thought he strode forward well with the ball too.
He’s not slow when he gets going but he gets squared up too easily. Seen him get himself In awkward positons a few times.
I think you're seeing what you want to here.
Probably. But I think the same applies for everyone about every player to some extent.

I thought we were much better tonight and there was much for Lop to work with. He clearly had an influence on formations and tactics and the back 3 looked a much better option for us. Toti slotted back in well and we benefitted from an extra body in there.

Bueno was very good again as was B Traore plus Semedo looked better than of late.

We actually had a few occasions that got us off our seats (a rarity this season) and a proper striker may have helped us there.

We are a struggling side and we just played the top team in the division plus the obligatory 12th man in the ref and certainly didn't disgrace ourselves. If we had been awarded the penalty and Arsenal down to 10 then may have been different.

I was very pleased with the performance and noticeable that there was no booing tonight.

Word about Lop. His few minutes at the beginning he did more to connect with the fanbase than that cretin Lage did in 15 months. I love the bloke and am very excited to see what he does with this side, I think he will improve us no end and turn this shit around.

Just watched his first day video, the bloke oozes class and charisma and had time for everyone from Jeff down to the catering staff, congratulating Joe Hodge and letting him know he'd seen him play, asking Sasa about his injury, talking to Nunes about his shoulder, he's the real deal and I'm quietly confident he will see us good.

Nathan Collins would be a downgrade on pretty much anyone. I have no idea what we were doing getting rid of 3 proven PL CB and signing Neil Collins mk2?

Thanks Scott!
Saying he's 'not slow' is a cop-out. He might be mobile enough but he's slow in his brain, reaction to situations and his attitude.

Here’s a radical thought, perhaps Collins is short on confidence? Losing every week is going to be mentally exhausting, so you over compensate by trying harder then that doesn’t work, a few more mistakes that affect the team, so you keep trying because you don’t want to make mistakes and suddenly you think I can’t do any better than I am now, what do I do to turn it round?

Back