• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-0 Burnley (Carabao Cup 2nd Round): Verdict Thread

I'm no mathemagician but does drawing them all first also increase the possibility of them avoiding a Premier club based on all the other teams still being in the pot?

On the basis they can’t draw each other yes to put it in a mathematical sense our chances of drawing a PL side were 52% Man City was 34%.
It’s all dressed up as protecting the clubs in Europe but we all know it’s to avoid City v Utd in 3rd round and try keep the big clubs in it as long as possible.

They only needed to avoid Champs League and Europe League clubs playing another in the opposite category, but brought in a system that also stopped them playing each other? That's naughty. You could've made the first two of the draw be the Europa League clubs, and if a CL club was draw, put them at the 3rd, 4th, 5th tie to be drawn instead. Such an easy solution but instead they seeded it.

Missed the first 20 minutes or so as was on the way back from a couple of days in Stratford (very nice too, thanks for asking).

It was all pretty impressive against what was admittedly absurdly poor opposition. Moved the ball well, loads of threat and we could have kept a clean sheet with Roger Hansbury in nets.

Dawson definitely staked his claim for a return to the starting XI with a very solid display allied to some excellent use of the ball. Lima showed why there is no way whatsoever that Doherty should ever be picked ahead of him at RB - he isn't a wallflower, he's technically excellent, a constant danger and will only improve if he actually plays.

I don't like Guedes (breaking news) but credit where it's due for two goals - both supplied through very good assists, it must be said - and much improved commitment. I'll need a lot more convincing but it's at least a start. I mean of course I *want* him to have an impact here, having a drain on the wage budget is an awful situation, there's clearly no interest in him from elsewhere save for at best a last minute crappy wages-only loan which only kicks the can down the road for a few months, we aren't going to spend lots of money so here's hoping that a corner has been turned. It would of course be one of the all-time massive turnarounds in Wolves careers but hey, it's his career - he's been wasting it for ages now, perhaps the penny might drop.

Terrible draw for the next round of course but nice to get a win all the same.

I thought Bueno and Dawson did well as a CB partnership.
RAN was much better, but the one time he was caught out of position we were almost punished.
Doyle should be in the starting 11 for me, his distribution and ability to keep the ball while under pressure is underrated.
Lima looks a good player already!
Hwang & Sarabia I think should be dropped from starting for a while, they do not seem to offer much.
Guedes seems like a new player, I watched him closely last night and he really does make some clever runs, just doesn't seem to be found often.
Podence seemed greedy last night, taking on long shots when better options were available.
Chiqunio with a bit more match sharpness is a really exciting prospect!

I thought Bueno and Dawson did well as a CB partnership.
RAN was much better, but the one time he was caught out of position we were almost punished.
Doyle should be in the starting 11 for me, his distribution and ability to keep the ball while under pressure is underrated.
Lima looks a good player already!
Hwang & Sarabia I think should be dropped from starting for a while, they do not seem to offer much.
Guedes seems like a new player, I watched him closely last night and he really does make some clever runs, just doesn't seem to be found often.
Podence seemed greedy last night, taking on long shots when better options were available.
Chiqunio with a bit more match sharpness is a really exciting prospect!

Agree with most of that apart from Chiquinho. I only caught the second half but I thought he looked rubbish, I just can't see it with him.

Agree with most of that apart from Chiquinho. I only caught the second half but I thought he looked rubbish, I just can't see it with him.
Chiq was OK. At times his touch was heavy but certainly in the first half him being direct worried them.
Just dropped off as the game went on and his energy went.

As a squad option he will be fine I think.

I don't think Chiq was shit. He was a mixed bag, some okay, some not so good, but overall did alright. He'll never be a 1st choice player that's for sure.

From the highlights, Sarabia and Podence looked excellent, of course they are exactly the sort of players that can be excellent in 7 minutes of highlights though :)

Podence is the ultimate YouTube player, he'd be great at futsal.

Unfortunately its very different when watching the entirety of the match. He was ok, nothing more.

Couldn't catch it last night but just watching the highlights - Guedes is very obviously offside for his second goal, but still a good finish.

Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 10.33.14.png

(That's the split second before Podence's pass, not after.)

Couldn't catch it last night but just watching the highlights - Guedes is very obviously offside for his second goal, but still a very good finish.

View attachment 11462

Nah, he's inside our half.

Insanely bad defending of course.

Podence is the ultimate YouTube player, he'd be great at futsal.

Unfortunately its very different when watching the entirety of the match. He was ok, nothing more.
Podence would be terrible at futsal. Too weak physically and tactically. Just like in football, be good at some of the highlight real moments, but you give the ball away cheaply and in futsal that can be very easily punished.

Podence was ok, played that superb pass for the 2nd goal and was involved in some good link up play, but also drifted out of the game at times.

I've seen people say Sarabia played well, I must have missed his good stuff, because there were significant stretches of the game that I forgot he was even on the pitch. Apart from a couple of dead balls into the box, what did he do that was good? I thought he was woeful, and along with another terrible cameo from Hwang, one of our poorest players.

Podence was ok, played that superb pass for the 2nd goal and was involved in some good link up play, but also drifted out of the game at times.

I've seen people say Sarabia played well, I must have missed his good stuff, because there were significant stretches of the game that I forgot he was even on the pitch. Apart from a couple of dead balls into the box, what did he do that was good? I thought he was woeful, and along with another terrible cameo from Hwang, one of our poorest players.
Like I say, I only watched the 7 min highlights, but Sarabia was involved in a lot of good things.

I can imagine he did nothing else.

Couldn't catch it last night but just watching the highlights - Guedes is very obviously offside for his second goal, but still a good finish.

View attachment 11462

Erm, isn't the fact he's in his own half relevant here?
Oops, day late and a dollar short again pav. 😕

Back