• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2019/20 - everything not Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think CAS will hear this very quickly as the team denied millions for champions league having finished fifth will have a rather good legal case. It can’t drag out. Or UEFA rule the punishment stands unless or until an appeal is successful as they did with Chelsea’s transfer ban.
CAS rarely do quick and this is complex case. UEFA wont be able to let it stand if an appeal goes on. So they have to suspend it.

Think this could get very messy, team that comes 5th will think they’ve got CL football next season if Man City appeal and are allowed to play in next season CL expect some legal action from the 5th placed team.
Premier league are looking at this to, as expected rumour mill is rife from points deduction to even demotion.
Said in earlier post no way the PL will have the guts to boot Man City out the league. At worse they’ll doc them points this season that’ll drop them below 4th preventing the above problem.

I imagine if City want to push it far enough then they could smash the whole rotten thing to pieces. FFP is there to pretect Utd, Barca, Real etc. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that this punishment was selected when City were the offenders.

I can see the Premier League imposing its own punishment. 30 point deduction would prevent them qualifying for Europe you would imagine.

I can see the Premier League imposing its own punishment. 30 point deduction would prevent them qualifying for Europe you would imagine.

This seems most likely doc them enough points to drop them just outside the European places.
Oh and Aston Villa should be sitting with some very sweaty palms this morning based on the valuation and sale of Villa Park back in the summer.

Yawn. Why not 50 points and demote them too? City have less debts than almost any premier league club yet they get in trouble for spending too much. David Gill doing his job well at the FA and Uefa I suppose.

I doubt they smashed it as much as PSG.

The City issue is not so much the smashing but the complex web they constructed to hide it.

No no no. PSG buying Neymar and Mbappe was completely above board and legit. Definitely.

That’s the point, it’s one rule for one and one for another. Real have essentially been state funded for pretty much ever. Not a word is ever said. Utd are ‘purchased’ by some utter shysters, loaded with the debt from that purchase and use more debt to spank on Fred etc. Not a word.

The intention of drawing something up to avoid Leeds/Parma/Malaga/Anzhi style situations is perfectly laudable.

However much like PGMOL's use of VAR, they've completely ballsed up the execution. If your owner can fund you and demonstrably has the wherewithal to underwrite everything (make it some kind of bond/escrow system to cover losses if you must) then I don't see the issue.

Let's be honest, FFP is just a system to prevent teams challenging the current teams at the top under the guise of preventing a team doing a Leeds.

All the big teams have plenty of rich backers, not to mention an overwhelming amount of revenue from sponsorship deals and a hoard of foreign bandwagoners. How is an overachieving team expected to have sustained success without losing players to richer teams and being unable to financially compete? They aren't, and UEFA and such do not want them to be. Historically big teams not being successful, failing to qualify for Europe, is bad for business as they expect lower viewers. IIRC UEFA flirted with the idea of giving teams like AC Milan a place in their planned revamped Champions League just because of past success, regardless of how they finished. Same reason the World Cup and Euros are being expanded. Teams that bring more fans and viewers need to qualify for money reasons.

Man City are gatecrashers and this is why they are disliked. Don't have the same amount of bandwagoners bringing in views and revenue at this time, though that is changing. Since the Prem started you are hardly going to do well without a rich backer, City were simply late to the party when the top teams had already crystalised. You can invest smartly and rely on a good manager to get you so far, but for sustained success (namely drawing in and retaining quality players) you need money, which Fosun have provided for us.

Somewhat related, there was an interesting article in the Independent about the dominance of the super-rich clubs. https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...l-man-utd-barcelona-real-madrid-a9330431.html

No no no. PSG buying Neymar and Mbappe was completely above board and legit. Definitely.

Spread the cost across there 5 year contracts I’d imagine. Uefa will punish PSG next I’d imagine with a suspended ban and a big fine

Neymar was full payment to end his Barca deal. No payment plan on that one.

Still gets amortised across the length of his deal, like every single other club in the world...

Cashflow doesn't come into it.

It's an odd one as technically PSG didnt pay the fee, Neymar did.

PSG gave the money to Neymar, classed as payment for work done in Qatar so how does that work on FFP?

I'd need to know the detail of this no doubt very important work that he did :icon_lol:

Seriously though it should just be booked as any other fee. He's an asset so it doesn't come straight off the balance sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back