• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Top 20 Wolves Goals: 1990s (1989/90-1998/99)

Top 20 Wolves Goals: 1990s just released.

Brilliant.
I'm in danger of turning into one of those fans that thinks it was better in the past.
Tbf the 90s was great fun for me despite being in the second tier and the disappointments of not getting promoted when I thought we should.
It saw my return to Molineux after 12 years of absence and also coincided with my 2 boys being interested and going with me.
Top work Kiwi.

Brilliant.
I'm in danger of turning into one of those fans that thinks it was better in the past.
Tbf the 90s was great fun for me despite being in the second tier and the disappointments of not getting promoted when I thought we should.
It saw my return to Molineux after 12 years of absence and also coincided with my 2 boys being interested and going with me.
Top work Kiwi.
There were so many painful moments in the 90s though...

Some random thoughts . . .
  • David Kelly's winning goal in the FA Cup against Leicester was I thought a very worthy choice as the top goal. A deft dummy on the halfway line, an excellent pass to Don Goodman on the wing, Goodman's run and superb delivery into the box to Kelly whose diving header was outstanding. It make a change from the usual wonder strike from 30 yards. I also enjoyed John Motson's commentary as well.
  • There also seemed something quite raw and emotional with most of the goals as well - a combination of the crowd excitement and noise, the commentary and the exhilaration of the goal being scored - 14 of the 20 goals were scored at Molineux. There's something special being at the ground when a great goal is scored and I'm envious of those here who would have actually witnessed some of these fine goals.
  • Although I embellished the start and end of the video with something different I make a point of not changing the audio for the actual clip of the goals. I really do dislike the current trend of overlaying a song/music in goal compilations which IMO detracts from the visceral emotion of the goal with the crowd involvement etc.
  • Wolves legend Steve Bull scored 5 out of the 20 goals - an outstanding stat for him.
  • Did anyone notice that Carl Robinson's goal against Bradford City is quite similar to Neves goal against Derby. Not as far out as Neves but a clearance from a corner, one touch control and then a great volley.
Yeah, the meaning of the goal and the player scoring it seems to be a factor, for example Don's at Leeds being in the top 20 on pure quality of goal? No chance. But as a moment, it's one of my favourites ever.
  • I'd disagree re the quality of Goodman's goal - I have always thought it was outstanding. A controlled build up looking for an opening, a peach of a ball from Robinson that splits the Leeds defence and then Goodman showing cool nerves of steel with a lovely deft chip. And of course it is a moment - one of my favourites as well.

Back