• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Southampton 1-2 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Tbh if Mings cleared the ball like Dawson did for their goal we'd all laugh. Massive result, small performance, the former is all that really matters.

I'm not a fan of some of the victimhood on the matchday thread. There isn't a conspiracy the ref and refs in general are shit. They aren't looking to do us over, that's just silly
After Botman staying on the pitch tonight I humbly disagree

Watching the second half again and:

-Nathan Jones demeanour cannot have helped his team. Just a blur of angry, anxious and negative energy after the equaliser. Edoze looked scared coming off the bench.

-Costa really put himself about, a proper nuisance for already crud/ panicky defenders. Inspired sub really.

Edit. 95th minute and he sprints, elbows the defender in the gut and wins a throw. Superb

-Sarabia too, just constant running, closing people down, offering options

-Why, why oh why would you try those free kick routines when you have perhaps Europes best dead ball merchant??!

-Could not tell Wolves had 10 men.

Oh, and the volume from the away end is GLORIOUS

Back from the game and proud to be a Wolves fan today.

Don’t know how it looked/will look on TV but we were fucking awful first half and whatever JL did - please don’t do it again - the formation looked horrible and the players looked uncomfortable. Answers on a postcard as to what Moutinho was doing.

I thought Saints started quicker, hungrier and sharper than us. First half we couldn’t deal with that absolute beast they had up top and both Dawson and Kilman looked uncomfortable. RAN was getting run ragged too.

But JL is an elite manager and so he changes it. That’s what great managers do.
Bueno is absolutely superb today, Traore causes the usual panic and mayhem and Costa does in 15 minutes what Cunha had failed to do all game (not his forte, fair). I must admit that I thought Pitbull looked a little bit overwhelmed when he arrived on but - fuck it - the end result wasn’t too shabby.

What a day. What an away day. I fucking love St Mary’s. Every year.

Scenes when the winner went in. The place absolutely erupted. Sone bloke behind me was in tears of joy. True story.

Watching the second half again and:

-Nathan Jones demeanour cannot have helped his team. Just a blur of angry, anxious and negative energy after the equaliser. Edoze looked scared coming off the bench.

-Costa really put himself about, a proper nuisance for already crud/ panicky defenders. Inspired sub really.

Edit. 95th minute and he sprints, elbows the defender in the gut and wins a throw. Superb

-Sarabia too, just constant running, closing people down, offering options

-Why, why oh why would you try those free kick routines when you have perhaps Europes best dead ball merchant??!

-Could not tell Wolves had 10 men.

Oh, and the volume from the away end is GLORIOUS
There was a moment with costa where he went into 3 separate challenges in the space of 30 seconds, and I don’t think he won one, but I fucking loved it!

Bueno was solid when he came on. Him and RAN as options going forward is very promising.

Adama was very good today. Long May it continue. Seems more effective coming on rather than starting, don’t think he will accept that though.

Costa is Costa. Hasn’t been as bad previously as made to be, but equally he’s not going to score you 10 goals a season. Brains still there. Legs arent. Have to say, appears an extremely likeable part of the squad though.

Being able to bring on the players we did, and not using Raul and Neto, with bouba and Podence out injured, really shows the good depth we have now in certain positions.

Great 3 points after a dismal first half. Another big game up next. If we continue beating the teams around us/the bottom it really will bode well going forward into next year

There was a moment with costa where he went into 3 separate challenges in the space of 30 seconds, and I don’t think he won one, but I fucking loved it!

Bueno was solid when he came on. Him and RAN as options going forward is very promising.

Adama was very good today. Long May it continue. Seems more effective coming on rather than starting, don’t think he will accept that though.

Costa is Costa. Hasn’t been as bad previously as made to be, but equally he’s not going to score you 10 goals a season. Brains still there. Legs arent. Have to say, appears an extremely likeable part of the squad though.

Being able to bring on the players we did, and not using Raul and Neto, with bouba and Podence out injured, really shows the good depth we have now in certain positions.

Great 3 points after a dismal first half. Another big game up next. If we continue beating the teams around us/the bottom it really will bode well going forward into next year

I'd settle for 1 a season, let's be honest our goal came from him basically missing a sitter.

Not statistically but neither was Bueno and his cross was fantastic.
Not sure if it’s been mentioned today. It one of Sa’s good days, very good save following kilmans back pass. That being said, he did beat a player with ball at his feet and I thought he’d over done it. Still scares the shit out of me

So who gets the assist for the OG ?

Adama ?

It was funny watching it , he just couldn't stop going backwards into his own net , it was like as if the ball was pushing him !

Overall - what a gutsy performance.

The less said about the referee the better - stick to the A League, Jarred, the PL is way above you. Completely ruined the first half with trigger happy yellow cards, and the sending off was pathetic. Shame we can't appeal it as its a second yellow. As has been mentioned, the ref had a much better second half, so wouldn't surprise me if someone had a word with him.

What a finish by Gomes at the end - and how much did it mean to him!

Overall - what a gutsy performance.

The less said about the referee the better - stick to the A League, Jarred, the PL is way above you. Completely ruined the first half with trigger happy yellow cards, and the sending off was pathetic. Shame we can't appeal it as its a second yellow. As has been mentioned, the ref had a much better second half, so wouldn't surprise me if someone had a word with him.

What a finish by Gomes at the end - and how much did it mean to him!
Gillet has been good for the most part but that first half was bordering on cheating.

The difference between his performance first and second halves was the difference in allowing us to play and not.

Officials should not have that power.

Back