• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves are for sale and Darlo wants some smooth thighs

Status
Not open for further replies.
You Won't be able to take money out. You need that to compete unless you struck a deal with all the other minnows in the league to not spend £40m

Sorry I am being thick here. Its worth 140 million a club to be in the premier league. Wolves are pretty self sufficient/ self funding. If we take the money , increase spending by 20 million in transfers, 40 million in wages, 40 million to the investors that still leaves 40 million to go back in the club. Seriously am I missing something massive here?

Whatever happens you have to be there to get the cake and that is where the risk lies.Speculate to accumulate

Sorry I am being thick here. Its worth 140 million a club to be in the premier league. Wolves are pretty self sufficient/ self funding. If we take the money , increase spending by 20 million in transfers, 40 million in wages, 40 million to the investors that still leaves 40 million to go back in the club. Seriously am I missing something massive here?

Whatever happens you have to be there to get the cake and that is where the risk lies.Speculate to accumulate

Yes you are missing the fact that everyone else will be spending £40m more than you

Here are the people who conceivably might throw millions at a football club:

1) Developing, generally oil rich nations who want to boost the profile of the area through reflected glory (Man City, PSG)

2) Extremely high wealth individuals with an iffy past who might want to manoeuvre themselves into a position of high profile and power in sport to negate the risk that the law catches up with them back home (Abramovich, Gaydamak)

3) Life long fans who want to chuck their fortune at their club (Mel Morris, Steve Gibson, Sir Jack Hayward, Steve Parish)

4) Successful businessmen who fancy a bit of a vanity project (Morgan, Cellino, Fernandes, Hopp)

5) Owners who spot value in a club to flip it for a higher sale price in the future (Mandaric)

Other than option 5 there is no real profile of owner out there who invests money in football to make money - the Glazers invested nothing and took millions, but Man Utd are pretty much a unique case in the whole world of football - and option 5 is off the agenda anyway being as Wolves aren't up for sale at a bargain bucket price.

Yes you are missing the fact that everyone else will be spending £40m more than you

No youre assuming that all the clubs will be as well run as we are. They arent. There is a lot of premier league debt and at least half the clubs are financially worse than we are and by some way. That would make us a mid table shot at last for a couple of seasons. Worth the risk I say

No youre assuming that all the clubs will be as well run as we are. They arent. There is a lot of premier league debt and at least half the clubs are financially worse than we are and by some way. That would make us a mid table shot at last for a couple of seasons. Worth the risk I say

Most of the clubs are bigger than us. The bottom of the table currently has Sunderland, Villa and Newcastle. Their turnover will dwarf ours. I don't think their finances are the issue. More the fact they've hired shit managers and made shit signings, not too dissimilar to us.

Looks like Reading have found one of those rich owners, who are reported as going to spend 'hundreds of millions' on the club.

That is a very easy soundbite.

Leicester City owners, when the club got promoted promised to spend "£180m". They didn't - they have had a significant spend, but nothing like that. And look at their success level this season (early days but the signs are brilliantly encouraging).

Reading have had ups and downs with rich owners don't forget. I would love to see how they propose to spend "hundreds of millions". I can't imagine Messi pitching up in Theale any time soon.

Doesn't mean it will all be on players, nor all in one go, but it will be interesting to watch.

Reading are lining up a massive development around their ground. Hotel, conferencing and a shit ton of residential, that could cost hundreds of millions and make no difference to the playing side at all.

Can you imagine the cybermongfest if we got new owners who promised to spend £200m....then built some stuff around Wolverhampton.

It was bad enough when Morgan had his house building company build some houses.

It's arguably more important that any new owners actually understand football rather than looking at the size of their promised investment. Steve Morgan knows nothing about football, that is the reason we ended up in League One. Tony Fernandes knows nothing about football, which is why QPR have ran up an additional £180m of debt under his watch to end up no further forward on the pitch and with no work done on a new stadium or training ground as promised. Tom Hicks and George Gillett knew nothing about football, which is why Liverpool went from Champions League finalists to the brink of administration, with no work done on a new stadium as promised, inside about four years. Massimo Cellino knows nothing about football, which is why Leeds still have no assets at all beyond their playing staff despite promises to buy back Elland Road and Thorp Arch, and they've gone through six managers in 18 months to go absolutely nowhere.

Is Cyber not saying buy a club for £40m spend £80m on getting the club promoted and then your investment is now worth £140m?

Is Cyber not saying buy a club for £40m spend £80m on getting the club promoted and then your investment is now worth £140m?

Even if that is the case, it's still deeply flawed.

1) It's worth whatever someone else will pay for it. Are Aston Villa, with their 25+ unbroken years of top flight football (at present), 40,000+ seater stadium with fanbase to match, virtually nil external debt, European Cup win on their history books worth £140m? No-one who matters seems to think so at the moment.

2) If you have £120m and you fancy making an extra £20m then there are easier ways than buying a football club, throwing money at it, gambling you get promoted and then selling it on to someone else (quickly, in case you get relegated straight away) who might be daft enough to pay £100m more for it than you did.

You want to make the extra £20m stick it in a safe stock and say thank you for two years of divi plus a bit of share price appreciation

David Sullivan and the Gold brothers will probably leave the game tens of millions richer than when they entered it.

David Sullivan and the Gold brothers will probably leave the game tens of millions richer than when they entered it.

It's carpetbagging though, isn't it (fair play to them ultimately from a business standpoint, as loathsome as I find them).

Blues and West Ham were both on the brink of complete collapse so there was no need for a large initial investment just to get their hands on either club. Then they have exploited the stadium situation with West Ham to their personal advantage, the club won't see any of the money from the sale of Upton Park. They also brazenly didn't care who bought Blues off them as long as they got their required price, just take the money and wash your hands of it even though Yeung was clearly a very dodgy character.

None of that applies to Wolves or is likely to any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back