• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves are for sale and Darlo wants some smooth thighs

Status
Not open for further replies.
The news has certainly stalled us that's for sure, however I believe Morgan has very good integrity and will continue to see us stable until such a buyout or new owner comes in. It may annoy those that want us to spend money willy nilly, but Id rather have a Wolverhampton Wanderers in 10/20 years time, and again I believe Morgan will make sure that the club will go into very good hands.

Red Bull Wanderers anyone?

Mr Mateschitz could well have some spare cash floating around for a new sporting enterprise soon enough.

Better yet; playing at the Red Bull stadium and having our colours changed to promote Red Bull in the foreign market.

Right so what do we want from the new owner?

Must be a Wolves fan or doesn't mind the bedsheet brigade sticking the words 'mafia out' after his place of origin.
Must be willing to spend a fortune on buying the club, on new players/wages and never demand it back.
Must get rid of Moxey.
Must not go into the dressing room after a match.
Must bring back the liquidator.
Must rebuild the Steve Bull, SJH and Billy Wright stands whilst not allowing the spend cost to interfere with player recruitment.
Must not sell advertising rights of the ground.
Must leave the name the same.
Must not change the colour of the home kit from the 987 versions of gold that we have had before.
Must produce a home shirt that meets with approval of all internet forums regarding the neckline and collar.
Must not listen to golfing buddies when appointing managers.
Must have thick skin and not mind swear words being said before and after his name.
Must not have skin that turns red when angry or embarrassed.

Any others?

Better yet; playing at the Red Bull stadium and having our colours changed to promote Red Bull in the foreign market.

There'd certainly be some sacrifices but they at least tend to keep their enterprises competitive, none have really failed as such to my knowledge and there's obviously a lot of money behind their brand. Obviously wouldn't be popular with many but would people rather honour tradition if it meant bobbing along in limbo for years and years or possible an even worse fate?

There'd certainly be some sacrifices but they at least tend to keep their enterprises competitive, none have really failed as such to my knowledge and there's obviously a lot of money behind their brand. Obviously wouldn't be popular with many but would people rather honour tradition if it meant bobbing along in limbo for years and years or possible an even worse fate?

Can you imagine an edgy South Bank with added free Red Bull drinks!

The money for the Steve Bull was " ring fenced". Phase 1 and 2 were to go ahead. The South Bank was to be completed at a later date.

Why not build the stand that needed doing, that Is over 40 years old and has structural problems first, if you weren't sure you were going to complete 2 stands?

We were given this massive national TV presentation, about the new development at Molineux. Phase 2 was always part of the build that was going to be completed.

Could you remind me, what Steve Bruce did in his next season in football management, after we refused to give him a job?
They were problems with some land ownership IIRC which meant that the SB was Phase II of the rebuild. On Vis' original point concerning the John Ireland stand. A new stand was required as the existing Molineux Street stand couldn't get a safety certificate. The board had to make a decision and looked at planning a new Molineux. High interest rates fucked them.

Their Leipzig project is stalling a bit now.

Their Leipzig project is stalling a bit now.

Haven't they got problems with the rules of the league and other teams now objecting to their ownership? More of a poor investment choice than them running the club poorly.

Mateschitz is certainly the type of person you would hope the club would enter negotiations with, there will be far worse options.

Haven't they got problems with the rules of the league and other teams now objecting to their ownership? More of a poor investment choice than them running the club poorly.

No issues with the rules etc, everything they've done has been (just about) within the boundaries of the regulations. Everyone hates them but I'm not sure they care too much about that. It's more that when you get above jokeshop leagues like MLS or the Austrian Bundesliga that just flinging money at it forever isn't necessarily the answer.

No issues with the rules etc, everything they've done has been (just about) within the boundaries of the regulations. Everyone hates them but I'm not sure they care too much about that. It's more that when you get above jokeshop leagues like MLS or the Austrian Bundesliga that just flinging money at it forever isn't necessarily the answer.

Obviously money is no guarantee of success, especially not when your starting point is a 5th division side, but it's still hard to argue that Leipzig has been anything other than a success, they're 3 leagues higher than when they were bought by RB, new ground, much bigger following. It was always likely to plateau at some point from such a small starting point, not even the biggest team in Leipzig, but it's still an impressive rise and with the infrastructure that's been put in place you'd think that they have a decent chance of keeping themselves from sinking back to their original level should RB ever pull the plug.

The whole 'money isn't everything' mantra was the reason I mentioned RB to begin with, whilst they obviously bring that to the table by the bucketload they do also have a track record of sporting success, they aren't going to just come in throwing money at big names like the Venkys, they'll go about things in a proper fashion.

Which is true, but the aim was never to bring second division football to the table in Leipzig. It was to get right up among the big players, Schalke, Leverkusen etc. Not going to happen any time soon.

If the F1 arm of the sporting side of Red Bull took over the Manor team tomorrow and their legacy after 5-10 years was to leave them at the same level as Force India, that would be an undoubted improvement but it would be very unlikely to have matched their original aims.

Anyone with money/profile will plough through the Regionalliga set up with ease, same as FC United and AFC Wimbledon went through the lower tiers of the English pyramid for successive years for a while.

Don't want to put a downer on things, but its more likely that I'll buy Wolves than Red Bull

Don't want to put a downer on things, but its more likely that I'll buy Wolves than Red Bull

Maybe the Asda Smart Price Energy Drink division could put in a bid

Maybe the Asda Smart Price Energy Drink division could put in a bid

Well, they saved us once. Could rename the club to the Wolverhampton Walmarts while they're at it.

Which is true, but the aim was never to bring second division football to the table in Leipzig. It was to get right up among the big players, Schalke, Leverkusen etc. Not going to happen any time soon.

If the F1 arm of the sporting side of Red Bull took over the Manor team tomorrow and their legacy after 5-10 years was to leave them at the same level as Force India, that would be an undoubted improvement but it would be very unlikely to have matched their original aims.

Anyone with money/profile will plough through the Regionalliga set up with ease, same as FC United and AFC Wimbledon went through the lower tiers of the English pyramid for successive years for a while.

It's all relative of course, they may not have completely achieved their ambition on all projects but they've never done any of their teams any harm, not as far as I can see anyway. If Leipzig aren't a CL regular in another 5-10 years then I doubt there will be many of their fans cursing that they have had their dreams shattered and long for those 5th division days to return, likewise I doubt anyone supporting Toro Rosso longs for a return to the unstable finances of Minardi even though they perhaps wish they'd be chosen as the 'alpha' RB team ahead of Jaguar.

If, big if, Wolves were taken over by RB with the aim of hitting the Champions League in 10 years but come 2025 they've only got 1 Europa League campaign behind them as they struggle to break the top 8 then I don't think many Wolves fans will be moaning about it.

Almost certainly, just be an interesting scenario should they have a choice of selling the soul of the club in some supporters' eyes in exchange for investment and some sporting acumen or retaining tradition but having perhaps a less purposeful, or perhaps even more sinister, owner.

If, big if, Wolves were taken over by RB with the aim of hitting the Champions League in 10 years but come 2025 they've only got 1 Europa League campaign behind them as they struggle to break the top 8 then I don't think many Wolves fans will be moaning about it.

You wanna bet on that one

They were problems with some land ownership IIRC which meant that the SB was Phase II of the rebuild. On Vis' original point concerning the John Ireland stand. A new stand was required as the existing Molineux Street stand couldn't get a safety certificate. The board had to make a decision and looked at planning a new Molineux. High interest rates $#@!ed them.

I've mentioned this before, but the "high interest rates" weren't THAT high for rates of that time. There was, however, no choice other than to replace the Molineux Street Stand.

Wolves's Perfect Storm: 1982

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back