• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves are for sale and Darlo wants some smooth thighs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cold light of day post.

Over the road, Jeremy Peace put West Brom up for sale, and did not resign his position. Also Randy Lerner put Villa up for sale, and did not resign his position. However, Morgan has put us up for sale and immediately resigned his position. If you are the 100% owner of something, you don't give up the overall control of the asset and agree to keep it financially going in the normal state of affairs.

Secondly, the interregnum sees Jez Moxey assuming the role of joint Chairman and CEO in effect. That is considered spectacularly bad corporate governance and in a listed company would only be allowed to continue on a short-term basis and with clear explanation as to the reasons why.

Those two points lead me to conclude that (hopefully) a new owner is already on the horizon and ready to step in at short notice. In all honesty, I would imagine that he would not resign his position unless due diligence was done and the contracts exchanged with completion close around the corner.

That is what I hope, anyway.

These are my thoughts, too.

Or maybe extend his job for another 10 years. A lot of things can be said about Jez, but one thing is for sure is that he has a lot of passion for Wolves and does love the club.

Extending your job when you are as unpopular as you could ever be would be madness. Why foster the daily abuse, the demonstrations and general ill feeling.

Extending your job when you are as unpopular as you could ever be would be madness. Why foster the daily abuse, the demonstrations and general ill feeling.

Pays the bills, would Moxey get equal wage from anywhere else?

Having a little bit of a brain dump about various scenarios, and trying to think what would be most popular and then look at pros and cons.

1. Robert Plant leading a consortium backed by the Tata Group (this is just an example company as it was an early rumour yesterday evening).

Whoooop!! We're in the money. Local man installed as Chairman which would have pleased Sir Jack, the billions of TATA family who own a £110bn business privately behind the club, Jaguar Landrover as awesome new shirt sponsors which is a nice fit with the new plant opening. Jez Moxey steps down as well as soon as the deal is done and is replaced by a new CEO with the requisite football knowledge and preferably pinched from a giant with the promise of the TATA billions to get things really happening. Huge transfer budget suddenly available. Rebuild immediately back on the agenda starting in summer 2016. Everything in the garden looks lovely. CON - Is there a guarantee that TATA wouldn't do similar damage to Wolves as Venkys have at Blackburn. They have no clue what football is about.

2. Sheikh Yourmoneh buys the whole club.

Some billionaire wants us and wants total control. Moxey removed. Host of new appointments. Big money available. CON - no guarantee of any local involvement. Without that, Morgan would have rather gone against the wishes of SJH, which might be seen as disrespectful (although if we suddenly turned into Manchester City lite I don't think many would give a shite)

There is a further CON to both of the above - what happens if said new owner doesn't like what they see after a couple of years and wants to call the money spent in? Could leave us in a very parlous position.

3. Moxey consortium, paid up front

Moxey ad infinitum effectively. NOT POPULAR. Saying that, there would have to be backing behind the consortium to make such a payment so funds would possibly become available for the team. Moxey would probably step upstairs and a new CEO in (that might be a little more popular than his staying as CEO. Unless there was a lot of success quickly, there would be widespread discontent.

4. Limbo

No buyer. Disinterested Morgan just about keeps us going bobbing above the relegation zone. Moxey doesnt stay as combined Chair and CEO for longer than a year. A Chair appointment is made just to keep some semblance of happiness that he isn't doing everything. SHITE scenario. No prospects for team or ground improvement.

5. Moxey staged payments consortium

Second worst case scenario for me. Staged payments would show that there is very little outward investment, and Morgan would be getting his dough back straight out of club budget. New appointment as CEO as Jez becomes Chairman. If this comes from within, the most likely is probably Thelwell, and then replace his position by recruitment. This would be hugely unpopular as well, and with very little prospects of things improving on the pitch to earn the money to easily pay Morgan the price he wants.

6. Limbo, followed by disillusion

This is the horror scenario. Morgan struggles to find a buyer. We bounce along as above, but eventually he decides to cut his losses and run, selling at any price to any Tom Dick or Harry just to get out. CON - That Tom Dick or Harry could be the asset stripping death of the club, a Chellino, an Oyston, or excuse my French, a Bhatti.

I think the real problem now will be the mouth breathers will think they've been successful in getting rid of Morgan and will take credit for it irrespective of Morgan's reasons. They'll believe they can now get rid of Moxey. I imagine the feeling towards Moxey will intensify and he'll face even more shit in the coming months. Specially in January when there aren't any signings.

The more I think about the more I think a Moxey led consortium will eventually take over.

man-praying.jpg

Am i right in thinking that Morgan, although still owner, has relinquished all ties to the Club and will not be seen at Molineux, or Fulham for that matter?

He's resigned his Board position, he still owns the club. I doubt we'll see him at games though or at least not in the next couple of months

I'm not sure Moxey worries too much about been popular.

ultimately, interest in the club, including that from existing owners, is most of the time dictated by what happens on the pitch. it is also possible to be successful without spending loads of money and that can result in positive feelings all round regardless of past issues.

it's difficult to see how knee jerk this whole scenario is coming off the back of a good season and I can't believe its a case of a few loud mouths annoying him, even if it was a contributory factor. there must be something deeper. owning a football club has always looked a bit of a vanity project and this appeared no exception.

I can't see that someone who started work on a building site would be upset enough to put the Club up for sale because someone called him a twat.

I think Paddy's probably on the right lines, been ongoing for a while probably, just unfortunate timing.

I honestly think that Steve Morgan is out of his depth as a football chairman. He has surrounded himself with people, he hoped could do a good job. Often his choice of personal, has been less than brilliant. I feel he has been badly advised, by the man from Teflon.

I do feel his heart is in the right place and as human being, is a decent person. I don't bare him any malice, but the truth is, he was out of his depth as a chairman of a football club, with aspirations for top flight football.

Having had some time to digest this news, what I would like to know is what the "morgan out" brigade think happens next?

They have been pleading for years "scouse mafia out" and all that nonsense, well now they have their wish. So what happens now?

A mega-rich Russian/Arab/whoever else will not be coming to throw cash around like confetti. If their was an individual like that who really fancied a toy in the Midlands, Villa or Albion would of been sold by now. It won't happen.

One of two things will now happen in my eyes.

1 - A consortium (probably involving Moxey) will buy the club. I'm sure they are all excited for that prospect.
2 - Nobody buys us and we drift for years losing all our better players and no investment to replace.

In both scenarios, the investment into the club will be minimal/nil. There will not be a transfer war chest and we will continue down the self-sufficient route, but more willing to sell players. Under the scenarios above, Sako wouldn't have been allowed to see out contract, he would of been sold. The Afobe bid would not of been rejected.

I am genuinely worried about the next few years. Without a buyer, and with parachute money ending this year, I can see our transfer dealings being loans and free transfers, in addition to selling our bright prospects. I am willing to bet that Afobe, McDonald and Iorfa will not be here next season in addition to anyone else who has a good season.

To all the people celebrating, esp on Facebook it seems, remember yesterdays date - it could a day that lives long in the memory for all the wrong reasons.

Having had some time to digest this news, what I would like to know is what the "morgan out" brigade think happens next?

They have been pleading for years "scouse mafia out" and all that nonsense, well now they have their wish. So what happens now?

A mega-rich Russian/Arab/whoever else will not be coming to throw cash around like confetti. If their was an individual like that who really fancied a toy in the Midlands, Villa or Albion would of been sold by now. It won't happen.

One of two things will now happen in my eyes.

1 - A consortium (probably involving Moxey) will buy the club. I'm sure they are all excited for that prospect.
2 - Nobody buys us and we drift for years losing all our better players and no investment to replace.

In both scenarios, the investment into the club will be minimal/nil. There will not be a transfer war chest and we will continue down the self-sufficient route, but more willing to sell players. Under the scenarios above, Sako wouldn't have been allowed to see out contract, he would of been sold. The Afobe bid would not of been rejected.

I am genuinely worried about the next few years. Without a buyer, and with parachute money ending this year, I can see our transfer dealings being loans and free transfers, in addition to selling our bright prospects. I am willing to bet that Afobe, McDonald and Iorfa will not be here next season in addition to anyone else who has a good season.

To all the people celebrating, esp on Facebook it seems, remember yesterdays date - it could a day that lives long in the memory for all the wrong reasons.
Agree with every word. Worrying times.

Better the devil you know and all that.

Yes worrying times indeed, but something needed to happen otherwise with no team investment the team will/would continue to struggle.
to quote the nautical reference - a ship in the Doldrums.

Morgan has invested though, maybe not personally, but the club has spent money. Whether they have been the right players is up for debate.

McCarthy was given funds while in the Prem. Doyle, Fletcher, O'Hara, Johnson plus more. Solbakken was given funds when appointed. When we got relegated to League 1 we were a minimum of two excellent seasons away from Premier League riches again and we had to cut our cloth accordingly in terms of money spent. After seeing the money wasted by McCarthy/Solbakken he made the decision that we would tighten the spending and go for a "young and hungry" approach and ensure financial stability at the club.

He couldn't win really, he could of spent a fortune and in a couple of years we end up like Portsmouth

The fact that the Best case scenario revolves around a highly unlikely Consortium involving Robert Plant taking over, shows how bad this situation is.

Talking of consortiums led by Moxey taking over, the knuckledraggers would only end up hounding them out too.

I am praying for a rich businessman who actually gives a shit to buy us, but it's highly doubtful.

Yes worrying times indeed, but something needed to happen otherwise with no team investment the team will/would continue to struggle.
to quote the nautical reference - a ship in the Doldrums.

A ship in the doldrums is rather better than one on the bottom of the Atlantic

Red Bull Wanderers anyone?

Mr Mateschitz could well have some spare cash floating around for a new sporting enterprise soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back