• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves are for sale and Darlo wants some smooth thighs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for curiosity's sake, I've totted up a best estimate of our transfer spend under Morgan. Of course some of the fees could be slightly off (we'll never know) and it doesn't take account of any loan fees in or out, or the cost of any free/Bosman signings.

2007/8

IN

Darren Ward £600k
Matt Jarvis £675k
Stephen Elliott £1m
Freddy Eastwood £1.5m
David Edwards £600k
Sylvan Ebanks-Blake £1.5m
Kevin Foley £700k
George Elokobi £500k

OUT

Michael McIndoe £250k

Net = + £6.825m

2008/9

IN

Richard Stearman £1.6m
David Jones £1m
Christophe Berra £2.3m
Sam Vokes £350k
George Friend £300k
Chris Iwelumo £400k
Jason Shackell £1m
Matt Hill £500k

OUT

Seyi Olofinjana £3m
Jay Bothroyd £300k
Rob Edwards £200k
Mark Davies £1m
Stephen Elliott £300k
Freddy Eastwood £1.2m

Net = +£1.45m

2009/10

IN

Andrew Surman £1m
Greg Halford £2.5m
Nenad Milijas £2.5m
Ronald Zubar £2.3m
Kevin Doyle £6.5m
Stefan Maierhofer £2.7m
Adlene Guedioura £1m

OUT

Neill Collins £500k
Jason Shackell £400k
Elliott Bennett £100k

Net = +£17.5m

2010/11

IN

Steven Fletcher £6.5m
Stephen Hunt £2.5m
Adam Hammill £500k
Steven Mouyokolo £3m
Leigh Griffiths £150k
Jake Cassidy £100k
Matt Doherty £100k
Jelle Van Damme £2.5m

OUT

Andrew Surman £1m
Greg Halford £500k
Chris Iwelumo £500k
Jelle Van Damme £2.5m

Net = +£10.85m

2011/12

IN

Roger Johnson £4m
Jamie O'Hara £4.5m
Eggert Jonsson £200k

OUT

Stefan Maierhofer £500k
Andy Keogh £200k
Scott Malone £100k

Net = +£7.9m

2012/13

IN

Bakary Sako £3m
Bjorn Sigurdarson £2.2m
Razak Boukari £2m
Tongo Doumbia £3m
Georg Margreitter £500k
Lee Evans £200k

OUT

Steven Fletcher £12m
Matt Jarvis £10m
Michael Kightly £2m
Adlene Guedioura £1m
Sam Vokes £500k
Adam Hammill £200k

Net = -£11.8m

2013/14

IN

James Henry £250k
Leon Clarke £500k
Kevin McDonald £500k
Scott Golbourne £350k
Michael Jacobs £200k
Nouha Dicko £300k
Kortney Hause £400k

OUT

Wayne Hennessey £1m
Leigh Griffiths £1m
Tongo Doumbia £500k
Karl Henry £500k

Net = -£0.5m

2014/15

IN

George Saville £1m
Benik Afobe £2m

OUT

David Davis £100k
Stephen Ward £500k

Net = +£2.4m

2015/16

IN

Jed Wallace £275k
Conor Coady £2m
Nathan Byrne £1m

OUT

Richard Stearman £2m
Michael Jacobs £200k

Net = +£1.15m

TOTAL NET = £35.775m

So that's his £30m right there.

How were the Academy and training facilities financed? Club cash?

So that's his £30m right there.

How were the Academy and training facilities financed? Club cash?

TV money over the three PL years would have gone towards everything else.

Of course. I wonder how the income from TV, merch & tickets stacks up against those transfer fees...

Of course. I wonder how the income from TV, merch & tickets stacks up against those transfer fees...

Don't forget the parachute payments either. They balance out those transfer fees and a fair chunk of the wages on their own (£55m). I think Morgan's £30m investment was in infrastructure not playing staff and if you look at the last 4 seasons we have a net profit on transfer of roughly £1m on transfers.

I'm not suggesting or calling for 'where's all the money gone' but for the last four seasons you could say Wolves have lived comfortably within their means and Wolves will lose little by Morgan not putting in any more money. Nor will we gain either unless we change policy, not spending on players, just getting a better team together. You can almost say that Morgan is offering nothing to the club other than being a hate figure for some fans.

Don't forget the parachute payments either. They balance out those transfer fees and a fair chunk of the wages on their own (£55m). I think Morgan's £30m investment was in infrastructure not playing staff and if you look at the last 4 seasons we have a net profit on transfer of roughly £1m on transfers.

You'd have to give him the credit for the initial £8m+ net spend (quite big by Championship standards at the time) which got us the players to take us into the PL in the first place. That money wasn't there at all before he arrived, we just about managed to cobble together £1m or so for Mick the year before to bring in Keogh, Collins, Kightly, McIndoe and Ward in the Jan window. Jack wasn't putting any more in, full stop. Had Morgan not turned up we'd have had 2006/7's team and whatever we could pick up for ultra low fees, supplemented by selling Kightly in all likelihood, à la Robbie Keane, selling one big player to build a squad.

You'd have to give him the credit for the initial £8m+ net spend (quite big by Championship standards at the time) which got us the players to take us into the PL in the first place. That money wasn't there at all before he arrived, we just about managed to cobble together £1m or so for Mick the year before to bring in Keogh, Collins, Kightly, McIndoe and Ward in the Jan window. Jack wasn't putting any more in, full stop. Had Morgan not turned up we'd have had 2006/7's team and whatever we could pick up for ultra low fees, supplemented by selling Kightly in all likelihood, à la Robbie Keane, selling one big player to build a squad.

I agree, he did come in with the best intentions and that initial cash injection did work (along with a manager who knew how to get out of this division). He will leave us in the same state he found us, which you could say isn't a net gain or loss to anybody. The point I was trying to make is it really isn't all doom and gloom as Wolves wont suddenly fall through the floor, neither will they have to sell out to a Venky's/ Chellino set of characters to compete at this level.

I really don't think it's as bad as many people think.

Wanting to watch Wolves lose, to make Morgan grin, is a strange sentiment from a Wolves fan. Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club, is more important than any person or chairman.

I am not in the Morgan hater camp, but as soon as it became clear, he wasn't willing to invest in our push for promotion, the writing was on the wall. We move on, there is no need for division between fans. Let us just hope, we get someone decent.

well said

Don't want to put a downer on things, but its more likely that I'll buy Wolves than Red Bull

Given Red Bull is worth over £7bn I think that’s probably true, though neither is likely!

Well, they saved us once. Could rename the club to the Wolverhampton Walmarts while they're at it.

great free parking on matchdays woo hoo!

If, big if, Wolves were taken over by RB with the aim of hitting the Champions League in 10 years but come 2025 they've only got 1 Europa League campaign behind them as they struggle to break the top 8 then I don't think many Wolves fans will be moaning about it.

I would be happy with that what Thaksin did at Man city. 2002-2007 - 100 million spent- finished 8th to 15th in those seasons and put an end to the instability despite serious financial and fraud issues hanging over him at the time. I would hope for a better character but his principle was to establish Man City to compete in the premier after years in the wilderness. He did. The Sheik then bought them for 210 million and now one of the big four of 5.

I would happily happily take us being a Southampton in 5 years TVM given where we are now

So Man City were in a better place than we are now when the Sheikh came in?

I would be happy with that what Thaksin did at Man city. 2002-2007 - 100 million spent- finished 8th to 15th in those seasons and put an end to the instability despite serious financial and fraud issues hanging over him at the time. I would hope for a better character but his principle was to establish Man City to compete in the premier after years in the wilderness. He did. The Sheik then bought them for 210 million and now one of the big four of 5.

You're way off on your history, Thaksin was in charge of City for one year. 2007-2008.

Mishcon De Reya are a massive firm. Represented Diana in her divorce proceedings, among other things.

"That's very difficult for a couple of reasons," he said. "I was lucky enough to act on the Leeds purchase for Massimo Cellino last year. Before that there were a number of consortiums who got together with the fans to put the cash together.

"But the Football League have very stringent rules. They need to know there is a business plan prepared by a firm of accountants. They need to know that the club can fund its future and continue growth depending on where it may end up. It's difficult for a consortium to have those funds available."

If that's their criteria we can now understand why they are clueless clowns.

Mikey Burrows saying some Wolves fans did approach Morgan after PNE but that isn't the reason why he's selling.

Another thing - if Mr corporate lawyer from Mishcon is spouting his opinion all over SSN, you can absolutely GUARANTEE they are not involved in the process at all due to client confidentiality rules. Therefore, he is pissing in the wind.

not on this deal. Absolutely no chance Mishcon could be involved in this deal now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back