• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-2 Newcastle Utd: Verdict Thread

I was slightly concered with the pockets of space Newcastle kept finding in behind our midfield 2 but in front of our CBs. They passed it well through the lines a couple of times and we were at a big disadvantage, but thankfully they never really made the most of it.

Don't see it as too much of a concern this weekend but if we give that much space to Maddison the weekend after then we are going to be in for a long day.

I was slightly concered with the pockets of space Newcastle kept finding in behind our midfield 2 but in front of our CBs. They passed it well through the lines a couple of times and we were at a big disadvantage, but thankfully they never really made the most of it.

Don't see it as too much of a concern this weekend but if we give that much space to Maddison the weekend after then we are going to be in for a long day.
At the time it almost looked like a price we were willing to pay, or a risk willing to take, for our particular pressing style on the day, rather than someone losing position? Is that right?

I agree. There were times in the game that newcastle were able to move through the thirds with relative ease. They weren't able to do much with it fortunately, but better teams might.
That might be part of the strategy, I dunno. Lemina played very well, Boubacar less so, and Doyle was good when he came on. There's genuine competition in there which is interesting.
edit - @Mel Evo has suggested similar more eloquently than I!

In reply to both, yes I think it was something we were willing to accept and too be honest it was generally Longstaff in that position and he was poor apart from the shot in the first 10 minutes.

I imagine we might need to tweak things slightly for Spurs

I agree. There were times in the game that newcastle were able to move through the thirds with relative ease. They weren't able to do much with it fortunately, but better teams might.
That might be part of the strategy, I dunno. Lemina played very well, Boubacar less so, and Doyle was good when he came on. There's genuine competition in there which is interesting.
edit - @Mel Evo has suggested similar more eloquently than I!
We won’t play many better teams.

I think Arsenal Liverpool and Manchester City are definitely better, and Spurs could well be on a par with Saudi FC

Just watched the highlights back.

Newcastle 1-0 Wolves: Poor control from Neto/loose breaking ball from Dawson starts the attack for Newcastle, but not in a position of real danger. Ball goes wide to Anthony Gordon who puts in a decent cross, but one Sá should claim. As my football coaches back in grade school would say, “if it hits you in the hand, there’s no excuse for a drop”. Terrible keeping. Small silver-lining in that Toti was awake to the danger after Sá’s error, but obviously we couldn’t keep them from scoring. Bad, bad concession.

Newcastle 1-1 Wolves: Not much to say, a lovely delivery from the corner and Lemina goes into God Mode for a split second, flattening his marker and hammering in the diving header. Brilliantly taken all around.

Newcastle 2-1 Wolves (PK): It’s a really harsh penalty IMV but Hwang has got to get the ball away more quickly. Still love our Korean and appreciate the confidence to play out, but in your own 18 sometimes you just have to get rid. Another poor one to concede.

Newcastle 2-2 Wolves: Toti doing a Zubes Debut run, Hwang putting defenders on their asses and sending Pope the wrong way with a clever (lucky?) finish at the near post. It’s lovely football again and to see Toti split Newcastle’s right channel like the Red Sea had me the best kind of flabbergasted.

All in all, given the opposition, hard to be mad at a draw. Given the quality of their goals relative to the quality of ours, however, it’s definitely a little disappointing.

As my football coaches back in grade school would say, “if it hits you in the hand, there’s no excuse for a drop”.
Your coaches were dicks then.

He drops it because he clatters Traore at the point the ball hits his hands. You try catching a ball whilst the bottom half of your body is suddenly flipping you over....its fookin difficult and even moreso in the rain. Even the most dominant keeper I have seen in a Wolves shirt (Murray) dropped chances like that one.
The error isn't dropping the ball, the error is deciding to try and catch it. He should have gone with a punch because even the Traore connection would mean if he didn't properly connect he would have still sent the ball away from the goal.

Last edited:
There's an argument to say that he shouldn't be coming for it full stop. That situation is under control, Newcastle aren't scoring from there if he stays back. Although of course in the wider sense we definitely have been asking him to come for crosses a lot more than he did when he first signed for us, so you win some, you lose some.

Sa3.png

Agree but we are seeing Sa come for more crosses like this, so clearly an instruction. He wouldn't have come for that cross last season. So if he is doing as he is told, just needs to be smarter when doing it.

Looking at Toti in the freeze frame, very much doing what our defence with Murray used to do. Can see the keeper coming out so instantly going into cover the line (and he was unlucky they ended up scoring as it was a superb block on the first attempt)

On other things with Sa, even though he popped a couple of passes straight out of play it was evident he was cutting down on the pissing around with the ball at his feet. Much better if an attempted pass goes out for a throw in near the half way line than him playing a 5 yard pass to the forward

Looking at Toti in the freeze frame, very much doing what our defence with Murray used to do. Can see the keeper coming out so instantly going into cover the line (and he was unlucky they ended up scoring as it was a superb block on the first attempt)
Great take from the BBC in their report.

Wilson stepped up as the replacement for the injured Alexander Isak with an acrobatic opener, burying a hooked effort into the net after Toti failed to clear the Newcastle striker's initial close-range effort.

Fucking hell Toti, what are you playing at son.

That's a harsh take and a half!!

Your coaches were dicks then.

He drops it because he clatters Traore at the point the ball hits his hands. You try catching a ball whilst the bottom half of your body is suddenly flipping you over....its fookin difficult and even moreso in the rain. Even the most dominant keeper I have seen in a Wolves shirt (Murray) dropped chances like that one.
The error isn't dropping the ball, the error is deciding to try and catch it. He should have gone with a punch because even the Traore connection would mean if he didn't properly connect he would have still sent the ball away from the goal.
He’s the one who chose to come out for it, at that point it’s his responsibility to make the right decision and execute it, he did neither. No excuse IMV.

He’s the one who chose to come out for it, at that point it’s his responsibility to make the right decision and execute it, he did neither. No excuse IMV.
Not giving him excuses. He made a balls up already said so.

But if you think once the ball touches your hand in that situation its an easy catch then you are wrong

Who said it was easy?

Watched ref watch on Sky and they all agreed it wasn't a penalty for Newcastle, and it was the worst decision of the weekend.
Done over again by VAR.

Back