• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Molineux Joe Mason

I don't see it quite the same, rather than people thinking they necessarily know best all the time they're simply 'better read' than people would've been in years gone by, there's more and more football on TV as the years go by, other forms of media coverage increase in suit, social media gives the milions of 'nobodies' a voice. People are exposed to far more football, and pretty much everything else, than they have been in the past so are more likely to form an opinion, the validity or weight of that opinion is still highly question in many cases but they're still perfectly entitled to forming it.

I think the bigger problem is people taking these opinions too seriously, perhaps because you're more exposed to these 'amateur' opinions just as they are to the original topic, but if you read something you don't like or think it's nonsense then just move on, have a little wry smile to yourself and think 'ah what a joker', there's no need to be calling people out as idiots or whatever insult may take your fancy at the time, not you personally that is. It's just the internet, where anyone can have an opinion on anything, no matter how bizarre or uninformed, that's just how it is these days.

Personally, on Mason, I can't remember ever seeing anything of him other than the few videos that have been posted in recent days, I don't see a great deal to get excited about in those but there could be a whole lot more to his game that a few 5-6 second clips of him poking things in from >10 yards. Basing from that and his seemingly low reputation it doesn't really seem like one to get particularly excited about.

Forming an opinion because you have so much more Sky TV, and having a clue about how the game is played, are two opposite poles that will never ever come close together

big mean bunny;866558[B said:
]I consider myself an internet fan, I watch pretty much any game that is on and try to watch as many leagues as possible, I don't get to many Wolves games because I still choose to play football on a Saturday as know the window for that is shorter than my window to watch, I have coaching qualifications, have worked as a coach at different levels and age groups, was very briefly a grassroots scout, have wrote blogs, been on the occasional podcast, had an interview for an fa position, attend coaching clinics, ran a county side, played for a county side as a player, however for me I don't understand people who go to games and get drunk off their faces and then act like they are a bigger fan than me because there involvement was 90 minutes of being at a game where there main aim was 'a day out'. despite not caring about the vast amount of work that happens at a club in between games, is everyone like me? no? is my opinion more valid that others? again no, is it any less? I'd argue no.

For me Wolves is not a day out, for me Wolves is tied to my very being, hence why myself, those like me (internet fan, season ticket fan or full time attendee) have every right to say what we want, as long as you are big enough to accept that others may think differently.
[/B]
However, none of that has an effect on why I am disappointed that we have signed a player for £3million, who at current seems a complete and utter reach, or that to me, our squad looks pretty awful quality wise, yet none of this will detract from my desperate hope that the people at my club have got this right, and how I would love to be wrong. The problem with such a fee is the expectation is immediate.

That almost says it all, most of our football "experts " on TWF forum view a game from behind five or six pints, and that has to affect your vision, from the khazi, or at least your ability to read a game.

Many of those have never played serious football, and as in Art, if you can't paint, be a critic.

If you could watch a game emotion free, i wonder just what your opinion would be, however, it is difficult to argue that KJ plays some of the worst football ever seen at Molineux when a debt crisis was not in vogue.

I'm sure Sir Alex liked a drink, but he had some experience of the game too.

I never said they would.

That's how it read. It seems you are assuming that because Mr Numpty has more access to footie on the telly, he now knows more. Either he did before or he did after, usually he never expanded his brain courtesy of Sky, just his mouth.

That's how it read. It seems you are assuming that because Mr Numpty has more access to footie on the telly, he now knows more. Either he did before or he did after, usually he never expanded his brain courtesy of Sky, just his mouth.

It really didn't read that way.

I made sure to get the point across that these opinions didn't necessarily have any weight or validity, merely that the increase in media coverage had made it easier to have an opinion, nowhere did I claim that that increased media coverage had educated the masses and created a new generation of super-informed football fans, merely that they have now witnessed a lot more than they would've previously and are thus entitled to have an opinion on a wider array of topics, which then, thanks to this new surge of media, easily share with the rest of the masses.

What is it that gives one person more football knowledge than another, Bobby Charlton played for England at every level won the lot for club and country yet couldn't light a candle to Sir Alex when it came to football management.
What is it that Ryan Giggs must learn from Louis van Gaal to enable a transition from top player into formidable coach.
What are these star qualities that separate great coaches from also rans.

What is it that gives one person more football knowledge than another, Bobby Charlton played for England at every level won the lot for club and country yet couldn't light a candle to Sir Alex when it came to football management.
What is it that Ryan Giggs must learn from Louis van Gaal to enable a transition from top player into formidable coach.

It's bullshit really, I guarantee that there is loads of fans that would do a better job and are more knowledgeable than a lot of managers out there, but the difference being one gets the chance the other one doesn't.

It really didn't read that way.

I made sure to get the point across that these opinions didn't necessarily have any weight or validity, merely that the increase in media coverage had made it easier to have an opinion, nowhere did I claim that that increased media coverage had educated the masses and created a new generation of super-informed football fans, merely that they have now witnessed a lot more than they would've previously and are thus entitled to have an opinion on a wider array of topics, which then, thanks to this new surge of media, easily share with the rest of the masses.

I think we are saying the same thing here, it doesn't give anyone more football knowledge, I agree, but it does, along with the internet, give them a lot more bollocks to spout. As to being entitled to an opinion , that is never in doubt, the validity of that opinion...........................

It's bullshit really, I guarantee that there is loads of fans that would do a better job and are more knowledgeable than a lot of managers out there, but the difference being one gets the chance the other one doesn't.

I agree totally, you either have it and understand the game from the sidelines or on the pitch, or you don't, God bless Bobby C, but as a man manager i wouldn't let him near my spring onions. One is a player, the other is a player who can see, read and understand the game. The same goes for fans and casual viewers.

For example if James Vardy wished to go into football management doors would open because he made the grade these past two seasons with Leicester and England, yet if he had remained in non league those opportunities wouldn't be open to him.

Luck? Ferguson was not far from the sack at Old Trafford at one point and who knows where he would have ended up if he had been given his P45. I doubt that he was personally responsible for recruiting that freakishly talented group of players that went on to form the backbone of his dominant team - yes, he still had to manage them, coach them and motivate them...but he had some great tools to work with. I think Alex Ferguson would have struggled with the team that Solbaaken left behind...or the Wolves team in the last Premier League season.

For example if James Vardy wished to go into football management doors would open because he made the grade these past two seasons with Leicester and England, yet if he had remained in non league those opportunities wouldn't be open to him.

Exactly.

Total balls is that. By definition more exposure to a subject increases knowledge of it.

Total balls is that. By definition more exposure to a subject increases knowledge of it.

Watching Jackett or Saunders or Pulis or Allardyce isn't going to increase your knowledge on the subject.

Watching Jackett or Saunders or Pulis or Allardyce isn't going to increase your knowledge on the subject.

Likewise having great thoughts and ideas do not make a coach, having the communication skills to put ideas across is the key.

Not necessarily. If the person taking in the subject matter is as dense as fuck then the subject matter doesn't sink in. A lot of football fans are as dense as fuck.

Not necessarily. If the person taking in the subject matter is as dense as fuck then the subject matter doesn't sink in. A lot of football fans are as dense as fuck.

Likewise many ex professional footballers are as dense as fuck but blag their way into managerial positions due to their profile rather than their knowledge. They may have played the game without any real understanding of the game.

Likewise having great thoughts and ideas do not make a coach, having the communication skills to put ideas across is the key.

This for me. Good managers can communicate. Eddie Howe a great example of a young manager. I always look at a manager and think "what would they have been if they hadn't been good at football?"

Total balls??? you can pour as much water as you like on a sponge, but it still only ever retains the same amount of water.

Back