• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Molineux Joe Mason

People didn't have opinions back in the 'good old days' then?

There is definitely a new breed of modern internet fan though. They seem to think that watching Monday Night Football every week, getting Wolves up as champions on Football Manager, and reading Inverting The Pyramid, has turned them into a modern-day footballing authority, akin to a new Lobanovskyi, and that everyone who's actually managed to make a career out of the game is remedial for not agreeing with them. It's particularly commonplace on TWF, including myself clearly, by trying to be smart and using Lobanovskyi instead of Fergie in that example.

And for me to continue being a hypocrite, and pass judgement on someone like I know what I'm talking about, I'm reasonably happy with the deal. Obviously the transfer fee is eyebrow raising, but I think he's a useful addition just because he is instantly our best option for linking the midfield to attack through the middle, rather than out wide. Interested to see how he'll fit in.

People didn't have opinions back in the 'good old days' then?

They certainly did. I remember the uproar when Wolves sold Frank Munro to Celtic. Popular belief was he was sold so the club wouldn't have to give him a testimonial.

There is definitely a new breed of modern internet fan though. They seem to think that watching Monday Night Football every week, getting Wolves up as champions on Football Manager, and reading Inverting The Pyramid, has turned them into a modern-day footballing authority, akin to a new Lobanovskyi, and that everyone who's actually managed to make a career out of the game is remedial for not agreeing with them. It's particularly commonplace on TWF, including myself clearly, by trying to be smart and using Lobanovskyi instead of Fergie in that example.

And for me to continue being a hypocrite, and pass judgement on someone like I know what I'm talking about, I'm reasonably happy with the deal. Obviously the transfer fee is eyebrow raising, but I think he's a useful addition just because he is instantly our best option for linking the midfield to attack through the middle, rather than out wide. Interested to see how he'll fit in.

I don't see it quite the same, rather than people thinking they necessarily know best all the time they're simply 'better read' than people would've been in years gone by, there's more and more football on TV as the years go by, other forms of media coverage increase in suit, social media gives the milions of 'nobodies' a voice. People are exposed to far more football, and pretty much everything else, than they have been in the past so are more likely to form an opinion, the validity or weight of that opinion is still highly question in many cases but they're still perfectly entitled to forming it.

I think the bigger problem is people taking these opinions too seriously, perhaps because you're more exposed to these 'amateur' opinions just as they are to the original topic, but if you read something you don't like or think it's nonsense then just move on, have a little wry smile to yourself and think 'ah what a joker', there's no need to be calling people out as idiots or whatever insult may take your fancy at the time, not you personally that is. It's just the internet, where anyone can have an opinion on anything, no matter how bizarre or uninformed, that's just how it is these days.

Personally, on Mason, I can't remember ever seeing anything of him other than the few videos that have been posted in recent days, I don't see a great deal to get excited about in those but there could be a whole lot more to his game that a few 5-6 second clips of him poking things in from >10 yards. Basing from that and his seemingly low reputation it doesn't really seem like one to get particularly excited about.

I tend to just wait and see with new signings no matter who they are - I mean, everyone was hyped as hell with Roger 'the relegator' Johnson first joined us and Mike Williamson's initial loan spell seemed underwhelming until we saw the difference in the Wolves defence! It isn't always the case when expectations high and low are met (Leon Clarke on the other hand...) so it's best to give it three or four games and see where it's at from there!

That being said I think the worst complaint I've seen is "he's good but not worth £3 million" so based on just that I have a good feeling

Conversely Hamlet there was a lot of negativity when Big Chris signed

I suspect you feel that way because your opinion (Ken is doing a top job) is so wildly out of kilter with most other people's. I don't think you'd be quite so scathing of the supposed experts if they were rubberstamping what you think - which I happen to think is completely at odds with what I've watched all season, and I've seen 20 of our 28 league games so it's hardly a small sample size.

You're perfectly entitled to hold that opinion of course, just don't be surprised if I or anyone else pulls you up on it.

Welcome Joe. Now I have no problem Joe signing and I will support him. However the only problem I have is that will Jackett persist with him up front on his own......or seeing his interview and him stating he is a 'number 10' will we now with Dangerous injured finally see that role for Joe.. Although its a massive pisstake for ower Jed.

Welcome Joe. Now I have no problem Joe signing and I will support him. However the only problem I have is that will Jackett persist with him up front on his own......or seeing his interview and him stating he is a 'number 10' will we now with Dangerous injured finally see that role for Joe.. Although its a massive pisstake for ower Jed.

If you read how KJ is talking about his role within the team and the desire to sign another striker, I don't for one second think Mason is replacing Edwards roll in the team. Since December Edwards was used as Central Midfielder, rather than the support to the striker (the striker had to do his job and that of a "10" because our midfield were to busy building a 10ft wall in front of the back 4)

Excuse my ignorance but I haven't bothered listening to a Jackett interview in weeks. So bland, boring and so monotone..

Ikeme

Iorfa Williamson Batth New LB (Defenders)

Price Coady McDonald (Defensive Midfield)

Van La Parra Henry (Midfield)

Mason (Attacking Midfield)

Brand new formation 4-3-2-1-0

I'll admit to being worried about how close to the truth it could be.
Gallows humour I guess.

If you read how KJ is talking about his role within the team and the desire to sign another striker, I don't for one second think Mason is replacing Edwards roll in the team. Since December Edwards was used as Central Midfielder, rather than the support to the striker (the striker had to do his job and that of a "10" because our midfield were to busy building a 10ft wall in front of the back 4)

By adding a footballer in the ten position does this now change the role Kevin McDonald was previously playing for Wolves. Trying to link play between McDonald and Mason without having a massive gap between forwards and midfield.

By adding a footballer in the ten position does this now change the role Kevin McDonald was previously playing for Wolves. Trying to link play between McDonald and Mason without having a massive gap between forwards and midfield.

You are talking about a 4-2-1-2-1-0 formation. Or maybe 4-2-2-1-1-0 if we're chasing the game.

You are talking about a 4-2-1-2-1-0 formation. Or maybe 4-2-2-1-1-0 if we're chasing the game.

I was thinking Mason is more suited to a 4-4-1-1 rather than a 4-2-3-1 which creates to large a gap between midfield and forwards.

There is definitely a new breed of modern internet fan though.

I consider myself an internet fan, I watch pretty much any game that is on and try to watch as many leagues as possible, I don't get to many Wolves games because I still choose to play football on a Saturday as know the window for that is shorter than my window to watch, I have coaching qualifications, have worked as a coach at different levels and age groups, was very briefly a grassroots scout, have wrote blogs, been on the occasional podcast, had an interview for an fa position, attend coaching clinics, ran a county side, played for a county side as a player, however for me I don't understand people who go to games and get drunk off their faces and then act like they are a bigger fan than me because there involvement was 90 minutes of being at a game where there main aim was 'a day out'. despite not caring about the vast amount of work that happens at a club in between games, is everyone like me? no? is my opinion more valid that others? again no, is it any less? I'd argue no.

For me Wolves is not a day out, for me Wolves is tied to my very being, hence why myself, those like me (internet fan, season ticket fan or full time attendee) have every right to say what we want, as long as you are big enough to accept that others may think differently.

However, none of that has an effect on why I am disappointed that we have signed a player for £3million, who at current seems a complete and utter reach, or that to me, our squad looks pretty awful quality wise, yet none of this will detract from my desperate hope that the people at my club have got this right, and how I would love to be wrong. The problem with such a fee is the expectation is immediate.

Back