• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Pre-Season 2024/25

Lauguably they've started time wasting.... In a friendly FFS.

Well, on that viewing (caveat that it is just a friendly), there is an alarming lack of quality in this Wolves side, especially in the final 3rd.

I think we have the quality, but the tactics just aren’t there right now.

When Cunha didn't start last season (we also lost 2-0 to Brentford when he went off early, which we won't include but could):

Tottenham (A) W 2-1
Sheff Utd (H) W 1-0
Newcastle (A) L 0-1
Fulham (H) W 2-1
Aston Villa (A) L 0-2
Burnley (A) D 1-1
West Ham (A) L 1-2
Arsenal (H) L 0-2
Bournemouth (H) L 0-1

P9 W3 D1 L5 F7 A11

No Cunha, no party.

It's pre season so won't judge him properly until the proper stuff starts but Strand Larsen doesn't look very fast and his movement hasn't been good in the games I've seen, seems to move directly behind defenders a lot. Can't remember a chance he's had yet.

Purely on the lack of minutes for Bueno and Dawson, it looks as though we're going with a back four against Arsenal away. I think that will prove to be a very, very bad idea.

Fuck! This preseason is harsh.

A week ago we were heading into Europe after twatting the energy drink team.
Night and day in terms of how we looked in possession, Leipzig did have a lot of players on show who won't start 10 games this season.

The balance definitely isn't right. Doherty is the world's least funny joke, one CH can't pass the ball more than 5 yards, if you're playing a double pivot then we could probably do with one offering much better passing range than any of the CMs we own, we're very reliant on one attacker being fit (he isn't at the moment) and it remains to be seen how our 6'4'' #9 goes in a team that rarely crosses the ball.

No excuse not to change that with the money we have in the coffers. But you've got 3 weeks to do it.

Wouldn't be surprised if we go with a back five next weekend to see Nelson at RCB.

Purely on the lack of minutes for Bueno and Dawson, it looks as though we're going with a back four against Arsenal away. I think that will prove to be a very, very bad idea.
We'd be very likely to lose whatever formation we played and we can't keep grasping for that comfort blanket all the time, it's so limiting.

Moving primarily to a back four is the right move, but at the moment we don't have quite the right mix of players (we don't in any sense tbh)

Wouldn't be surprised if we go with a back five next weekend to see Nelson at RCB.
Nelson is banned

We could easily go that way, Dawson central and Toti/Yerson either side, I wouldn't even be against it. Horses for courses. We probably should go that way with neither Cunha nor Neto there to help us carry the ball upfield. You'd want Lima rather than Doherty though (surely you can afford to play him at RWB).

We'd be very likely to lose whatever formation we played and we can't keep grasping for that comfort blanket all the time, it's so limiting.

Moving primarily to a back four is the right move, but at the moment we don't have quite the right mix of players (we don't in any sense tbh)

I personally think it's the way to play against the big teams. I think Brentford have regularly played a back five against the better teams in the league and a four against the rest - I'd do similar. Our results against the best last season were very good as well.

Just going on the comments on here, it would appear we've not evolved beyond our give it to Cunha or Neto and hope they can do something brilliant strategy. Something of an issue when neither of them are playing and one won't again

Rodrigo seems like he’ll be consistently threatening tbf. Just didn’t come off today.

Think we were better second half, not quite so open at the back and managed to create a bit of pressure going forward, no end product unfortunately.
Lot of work to do before Arsenal,well go 3 atb with Dawson coming in surely.

He was very exc
Rodrigo seems like he’ll be consistently threatening tbf. Just didn’t come off today.
He was very exciting, his passes and crosses hit the defender too often today but think he's gunna be class

Back