• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Molineux Joe Mason

On the Costa there are thousands of Brits, who have lived in Spain for 20 or 30 years. Many only speak basic Spanish or no Spanish at all. Then you have Africans who come here with nothing. They get nothing from the state. They pick up Spanish quickly, because if they don't they won't eat or survive.

I appreciate your theory, but from my experiences living in both France and Spain, I think the Africans had a natural aptitude to languages where apart from out and out laziness or superiority, Brits are just shit at learning a language, or basically, being willing to learn a foreign language.

The lady I came to live here with was a teacher, for the first month or two, I was it in the conversation stakes, whether in a bar, a supermarket or at the local council offices, two months after that she spoke the language pretty close to perfectly. She learned from books and tapes, and i believe, and so does she, that she simply had a brain that was organised to learning almost anything, if presented in a certain way.

I would love to hear DW's opinions on this.

As with anything it helps if you have a natural aptitude for it (good job I do as I'm pretty useless at everything else), that's not to say you can't learn just through effort but ideally you would want to have a top quality command of English to start with, have a good appreciation of literature (foreign and English), be willing to learn the boring technical stuff to do with structure - and it's that latter point that trips most people up. English has virtually no rules, we learn it as we go along and never pick up habits such as abiding by relatively strict grammar rules, plus we have no such thing as masculine/feminine cases, verb conjugation doesn't really exist in any meaningful form, we don't have specific word orders to stick to...it's all an alien concept to a native English speaker so many struggle to get their heads around it. I always say to people that you have to start with the foundations if you're serious about learning a language, I can teach you in an afternoon how to order a couple of beers and a burger, jump on the train, find out where the airport is etc but it's of little long term use if you can't carry a conversation in your own right.

Add to that that many, many English people don't see the point of learning a language as it's not that often they'll encounter a situation whereby they're talking to someone who doesn't speak English, save for on holiday and then they just sort of fudge through it. It's ingrained in people that it's a worthy but largely unnecessary skill. Shame but that's the way it is.

As I say I only do it because I can't do anything else!

I love how OT some threads go! :icon_lol:

As with anything it helps if you have a natural aptitude for it (good job I do as I'm pretty useless at everything else), that's not to say you can't learn just through effort but ideally you would want to have a top quality command of English to start with, have a good appreciation of literature (foreign and English), be willing to learn the boring technical stuff to do with structure - and it's that latter point that trips most people up. English has virtually no rules, we learn it as we go along and never pick up habits such as abiding by relatively strict grammar rules, plus we have no such thing as masculine/feminine cases, verb conjugation doesn't really exist in any meaningful form, we don't have specific word orders to stick to...it's all an alien concept to a native English speaker so many struggle to get their heads around it. I always say to people that you have to start with the foundations if you're serious about learning a language, I can teach you in an afternoon how to order a couple of beers and a burger, jump on the train, find out where the airport is etc but it's of little long term use if you can't carry a conversation in your own right.

Add to that that many, many English people don't see the point of learning a language as it's not that often they'll encounter a situation whereby they're talking to someone who doesn't speak English, save for on holiday and then they just sort of fudge through it. It's ingrained in people that it's a worthy but largely unnecessary skill. Shame but that's the way it is.

As I say I only do it because I can't do anything else!

So may recognisable points there DW.

The one that always fucks me is the M/F gender. I still after 27 years here, take the piss because they have Beer as feminine, and annoy them to fuck (in fun) by always using the masculine term.

Grammar is my total downfall, i just cannot make myself sit down and study it. Too much like being back at school.

As you say, in Athens almost everyone speaks some kind of English and actually want to talk to me in English to better their own use of the language, but here in the sticks, i get by with my error strewn grammar because they actually love someone who will have a go, however inaccurate they might be.

However that backfires on me when i'm listening, as my poor grammar often sends me off in a totally different direction.

When i was in Hamburg i was ordering stuff in pubs and resturaunts and on the metro and buses within a few days, but sat at a table with three or four Germans in full conversation, I was blind deaf and dumb for the most part.

Acropolis 1 will always try and put me right, she's a treasure, but i have had to tell her to stop doing that when we are in a bar or resturaunt with a big group of people, as while she is explaining the three words i got wrong, i have lost all track of the general conversation.

The other novelty is that because i have learned Greek as a mimic here in the outback, Athenians are fascinated as to where i come from, and i mean where in Greece, not whether I am from Ireland or whatever.

I appear to have learned the Greek equivalent of Geordie, but nevertheless, i know more serious swear words than the polite Athenians have ever heard ha ha ha.

I'm sure Joe Mason will be please that his arrival at Wolves has sparked a debate on the nuances of learning development.

For what its worth I have no capacity for learning foreign language, when I have spent time abroad by the end of the stay I can fudge my way round getting by but thats about it. I tend to go for the Del Boy approach of speaking English in a foreign accent really slowly and the utilisation of rudimentary sign language. Its funny after I've had a few beers everyone tends to understand me.

I am also useless at names, I mean really bad - I've worked with people in the same office and not known someones name for 5 months before, even though I'd asked someone at least once a week. What I do hold is the ability remember a totally useless fact about some obscure Historical occurrence or throw away fact that most people wouldn't even bother to register, if it sparks with me in some manner it tends to stick in my noggin and sit there forever more.

Last edited:
My missus did her degree in French and German and says learning these languages actually vastly improved her English also. Similarly, she felt she learnt as much French/German in her Erasmus year than the three years at uni. She works in European customer service with an Italian guy and has begun picking up Italian by simply listening to him on the phone and noticing the similarities with words she already knows. Shes aiming for a job in GCHQ where they will train those with modern languages in Arabic next. I think it's remarkable having these skills and a real shame that languages aren't more appreciated in our schools. Still, I amuse the fuck out of her as I talk to her in German :D

My missus did her degree in French and German and says learning these languages actually vastly improved her English also. Similarly, she felt she learnt as much French/German in her Erasmus year than the three years at uni. She works in European customer service with an Italian guy and has begun picking up Italian by simply listening to him on the phone and noticing the similarities with words she already knows. Shes aiming for a job in GCHQ where they will train those with modern languages in Arabic next. I think it's remarkable having these skills and a real shame that languages aren't more appreciated in our schools. Still, I amuse the $#@! out of her as I talk to her in German :D

+1

The abhorrence of all languages not called English in America severely irks me.

My missus did her degree in French and German and says learning these languages actually vastly improved her English also. Similarly, she felt she learnt as much French/German in her Erasmus year than the three years at uni. She works in European customer service with an Italian guy and has begun picking up Italian by simply listening to him on the phone and noticing the similarities with words she already knows. Shes aiming for a job in GCHQ where they will train those with modern languages in Arabic next. I think it's remarkable having these skills and a real shame that languages aren't more appreciated in our schools. Still, I amuse the fuck out of her as I talk to her in German :D

That really helps, although Greek is quite different. The only place I came a bit of a cropper in the early days was in Portugal, where the latin based language is somewhat similar to Spanish, but then again not, if you see what I mean.

Seriously guys - back on topic please. Take this to general chatter if you like.

The longest welcome to thread in history for a player most were meh about us signing......anyway a Cardiff blog is claiming that the fee is £1.6m, rising to £3.5m, but that is based on appearances, goals and bonuses. So if true and he's a dud, we have paid around what most of us thought he was worth and if a success then the promotion money will more than cover it. Seems a reasonable deal to me.

I think why people has reacted has to do with the state the club are in. Selling the best players, owner wants out, horrible transfer record, a manager that has been under par all season , wolves playing negative football(even at home parking the bus)..but anyway, lets try to focus positively on the future

I wish Joe all the best and hope he does well for Wolves.

I wouldn't give Jackett any money as I think he's now verging on abysmal as a manager.

I think Kenny Jackett should be thankful to Wolves for sticking by him during a period of his management where his decision making has been at best hopeless. With his use of Joe Mason being a key to his and Wolves fortunes next season. He can't be given many more extended chances to put the club back on path which is contenders for promotion.

Abysmal? Strong words

They are. I was reticent when he was appointed in the first place, surprised at how well we played in Lg1, encouraged by the football last season but worried he was reverting to his managerial style towards the end of the season and now he is following his Millwall and Swansea pattern and becoming abysmal.

If we're not going to sack him (we're clearly not) then you've got to back him. A big chunk of the Afobe fee has clearly been made available, I'd let him get his LB and 2nd striker but make it clear that it's his last chance. He lives or dies by what he does in this window, a big improvement and a push towards the play-offs or he's out.

Agree with that. I would add a centre midfielder now too as we are likely to get rid of Rowe, Edwards is crocked, Evans away on loan and Saville I don't think trusted.

This second half of the season (ish) needs to vastly improve over what we have already seen, that's for sure. We've lost 1 in 6 but the football is shocking, and we won't get away with it in the long term.

Back