• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter Transfer Thread (And Summer Free Transfers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
you do whatever is required to get over the line don't ya.

We will be ok but I can see why we would make a move. It must also be Wolves trying to replicate our last promotion but on a higher scale by signing an ex player in January.

I don't understand why Afobe would come here to sit on our bench either. He isn't going to displace Leo in a hurry and I'd like to see more of Mir before he gets consigned to the bin for not being Harry Kane straight out of the traps. We are doing just fine and have been doing just fine this season without Afobe and he won't add anything to our squad for next season.

And we'll be buying a whole let better in the summer. I'd rather Mir and Bright get some game time for the rest of the season than get an ex-wolf here for 4 months on a pointless loan jaunt.

You’d get more respect for your opinions if you answered the points raised in my post rather than trying to get a cheap laugh...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you may be under the misapprehension that I wanted respect on an internet forum. Your point is easily dismissed by the fact we haven't needed a 'proven championship goal scorer' all season.

The same crap was trolled out in the summer and has been summarily proved to be utter bollocks.

I don't understand why Afobe would come here to sit on our bench either. He isn't going to displace Leo in a hurry and I'd like to see more of Mir before he gets consigned to the bin for not being Harry Kane straight out of the traps. We are doing just fine and have been doing just fine this season without Afobe and he won't add anything to our squad for next season.

And we'll be buying a whole let better in the summer. I'd rather Mir and Bright get some game time for the rest of the season than get an ex-wolf here for 4 months on a pointless loan jaunt.

Good post - much more civil... ;0)

Regardless of how great we have been (and we really have) personally think it’s a bit of a gamble to rely on Leo and Mir... if we want to ensure promotion that is...

I’m not saying we won’t do it without Afobe - but surely signing him will give us a stronger chance?

Who actually cares whether Afobe is good enough for next season...? I assume we can then just sell him on to Villa/Derby or someone in the top six of the Championship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My point is a simple we don't need him but I can see why we would try and get him back until May.

I don't think he will sign for us. Can see a scramble between Newcastle, Palace & WBA on Wednesday when their 1st choice falls through.

I don't think he will sign for us. Can see a scramble between Newcastle, Palace & WBA on Wednesday when their 1st choice falls through.

I think so too. Seems Benik is the new Robbie.

On loan, I'd take Afobe back. At £10m, maybe not. I think we have to factor in that when he left he had been asked to do a pretty thankless task, and he wouldn't be the first player to improve dramatically from Kenny Jackett to Nuno.

Also we have been really lucky with inuries this season - either that are the new fitness team are Gods. Entirely possible that we have a spell with two or three of our front four injured at some point this season and I'm not sure that Costa - Mir - Bright is such a terrifying front three. I don't want to just do enough to get promoted - I want to win the league by 15 points and go past 100 points. I rather like the opinion that this is the best Championship side there's ever been.

I don't want to just do enough to get promoted - I want to win the league by 15 points and go past 100 points. I rather like the opinion that this is the best Championship side there's ever been.

We're planning for the next stage now.

Whether we end up with 90, 95, 100 or 107 points is going to be entirely immaterial come the summer (we're going to win the league regardless). Not really a fan of chucking resources at pointless landmarks.

Is Afobe a next stage player? I would say no. Do we need him on loan to nudge us over the line? I would say no. Maybe if we'd lost every game in January or whatever, but we haven't. We've gone P4 W2 D1 L1.

It's not a Leon of a signing where you just know he's going to contribute nothing and there is no chance there is any longevity in it whatsoever. If he signed for us and got some decent gametime, he might well end up with 8-10 goals for the rest of the season. All pretty pointless though.

In terms of 2017/18 he'd be the equivalent of putting shark fins and Go Faster stripes on a Ferrari.

We don't need afobe. If he's happy to sit on the bench and come on when bonatini is tired for half an hour, fine. But ffs don't sign him permanently. He's not good enough for a team looking at breaking into the top ten next season

Crikey the Afobe debate continues....well for me I think it would be worthwhile as a loan with a view to a permanent with Benik coming in and proving he offers something different. I am not convinced like others that he is the answer in the premier league but the few times I have seen him for Bournemouth (albeit when he first joined) I thought he looked decent but starved of service (sounds familiar!!)

Leo as a very very good link player he really does offer so much that goes unnoticed but he isn't quick, not particularly good in the air and doesn't very often beat a man. If we are looking to switch things up in a game (the illusive plan B!!!) and we don't think Mir is ready yet I would argue Afobe would be ideal. We have players that can pick passes and play through balls but doing that to Leo is a complete waste of time.

We also need to think about then replacing the same type of players with better when we go up, we don't want 2 Leo's of a similar level for example.

I am in the Afobe yes (on loan) camp but I really won't shed too many tears if it doesn't happen.

It may have some worth as a loan with an option to buy. As a loan with a commitment to buy I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

Given Leo's current form, I'd say they are looking at someone who has enough quality to replace him for 6 months, not to sit on the bench. Then bin him off and spend money on a PL forward.

But we should only do that with a loan deal and then decide about the option on our terms. Committing ourselves to burning probably over ten million of the summer budget on a player who probably isn't good enough to feature that much in the top flight seems a bit of an oddity. The only way I can see a deal happening would be if we could encourage Bournemouth to change their clause. As they seem to be insisting on it, I suspect he will go elsewhere.

I'd be more than happy for Afobe to come in on loan until the end of the season. He'd hit the ground running (unlike Mir), offers something different to Bonatini and would be that 'fox in the box' type forward we've possibly missed over the last few weeks. It's a no-brainer for me, if he's available on loan & it'll also give Mir time to settle in, rather than being thrown in at the deep end and everyone writing him off when he's not smashing in 40 goals over the remainder of the season.

However, would I want to get tied in to parting with £10 million quid in 4 months for him when we're promoted? No.

I can see why Bournemouth are holding out for someone to splash some cash on him, but I can't see a Premier League side gambling on someone with a poor record in the top level. So they need to be realistic.

i thought a fair few teams were sniffing around afobe. can't imagine him coming back here without some guarantee of significant game time and can only imagine we'd be considering a loan (with option as per Pad's comment). so unless all the other interest has dropped away, which wouldn't be a great advert for him. i guess he might think we have the best prospects (fair enough) and he has enough confidence to prove he's good enough.

I would be amazed if we splashed out 10 million to re-sign him, really don't think that will happen. Irrespective of the team he plays for and the service he gets if he is really that good he will be in the starting 11 at Bournemouth and more often than not that hasn't been the case. I still think he is potentially very good and in the right team playing the right style of football could be well worth 10 million or more, but I would like to see evidence of that before we part with our cash.

Oh and as Paddy says with the option to buy, anything else and we should look elsewhere.

Really not sure with Afobe. He is very different to Bonatini but it would give us a chance to attack differently in the final third and he would definitely get in the box for when we have games like Sunderland and Forest which Leo struggled to do. He's not going to be the link player Leo is but he's not bad at it and if teams do attack us he will find spaces in behind that Neves will love to play him in to. In saying that i'd only be looking at a loan because i should imagine we are looking well beyond him when it comes to the summer.

As has been said already, we are only allowed to have 5 loan players on the matchday team list. So if we sign Afobe on a loan, which player would you drop from the 18 to accommodate him; Boly, Vinagre, Bonatini, N'Diaye or Jota?

It'd be Vinagre, he's already missed out numerous times.

I'd rather us stick the 20 year old striker we signed permanently less than a month ago on the bench personally and give him a chance to develop in the easiest atmosphere imaginable (best team in the league by a mile, should win most games, score plenty, going to go up anyway).

As has been said already, we are only allowed to have 5 loan players on the matchday team list. So if we sign Afobe on a loan, which player would you drop from the 18 to accommodate him; Boly, Vinagre, Bonatini, N'Diaye or Jota?

If we are going to do it, then a loan is the only sensible option

As to the '5' in the matchday squad then just sign up one of the others permanently (Jota or Boly please - either will do)

The Mir point is a good one, Afobe coming in could well inhibit his development when we are already in a strong position. I would like to see a more mobile striker option and I'm not sure Mir is that guy but equally if he's deemed to be good enough then I don't want his playing time restricted.

Tricky one but I trust Nuno to make the right decision.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back