• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter Transfer Thread (And Summer Free Transfers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He can play in the number 10 role and hold the ball up a bit and also has the pace we need to hit teams on the break

tenor.gif

He's a bloody awful number 10 (not that we play one) and he can't hold the ball up for shit.

If/when we go up we will have a new strike force for next season - wouldn't expect Bonatini to be be here (other than in a backup role) & no point in paying a transfer fee for Afobe

We don't play a #10 so it wouldn't even matter if Adobe could magically do that job.

Really? You can't see how Neves and Afobe could play together?
There are already players in the Wolves squad capable of running in behind and scoring goals yet they don't get those opportunities you seem to think will appear for Afobe, perhaps there's a reason Neves isn't knee deep in assists for them?

Our centre midfielders in this system are never going to get loads of direct assists (which are not a good measure anyway, they can be quite misleading). Either way, Neves/Sais don't really directly create the shots or chances due to the way we play. They will quite often play the pass into the overlapping wingback, or inside to a forward between the lines, but not really a direct pass over the top that often as Mark says. Maybe Afobe would open that up to us, I don't know, but I don't see it happening much anyway. Afobe would more likely benefit from a combination with Jota/Cav/Costa or a cut back from the full back as Leo has tended to do.

There are already players in the Wolves squad capable of running in behind and scoring goals yet they don't get those opportunities you seem to think will appear for Afobe, perhaps there's a reason Neves isn't knee deep in assists for them?

How many times have we played with a striker whose capable of running in behind?

KMac could do it for Afobe, Neves is like KMac 3.0

Or are you saying Neves isn't capable of putting a ball into an area for a striker to run onto? My view is Neves chooses which blade if grass he wants the ball to land on

How many times have we played with a striker whose capable of running in behind?

Or are you saying Neves isn't capable of putting a ball into an area for a striker to run onto? My view is Neves chooses which blade if grass he wants the ball to land on
It doesn't have to be a striker, Jota and Costa certainly are capable of making those runs in behind from slightly wider positions. The later has had good opportunities in some recent games from those sort of runs but has usually failed to capitalise.

As the boy Louie has said, it's just not the way Wolves play, no point harping on about what McDonald did in a completely different team years ago. This Wolves team rarely has the sort of space in behind to play that direct ball and get someone away, the build up is a lot more patient for the most part and Neves' range of passing more often used to switch play than get in behind.

I think it’s more a case that teams aren’t going to push up on us and leave gaps for Afobe to expose.

Also, when we have the ball we play slow build up football and we won’t change that just to accommodate Afobe.

Do some people actually watch the way we play? Neves will not be picking Afobe out with through balls, because we don't play that way and neither do teams play against us with a high line so there won't be room in behind for him to run into. He's not a link player either, never has been, never will be.

I think it’s more a case that teams aren’t going to push up on us and leave gaps for Afobe to expose.

Also, when we have the ball we play slow build up football and we won’t change that just to accommodate Afobe.

Am I on my own in wanting a pacey goalscorer? In a three with Jota/Cav or Costa he'd rotate nicely and offer us a more natural finisher in the box.

If there is space in behind because the other team have pushed up (like teams do when they go behind) he'd exploit that and we have the players to put the ball into dangerous areas.

He offers something different to Bonatini / Mir

Am I on my own in wanting a pacey goalscorer? In a three with Jota/Cav or Costa he'd rotate nicely and offer us a more natural finisher in the box.

If there is space in behind because the other team have pushed up (like teams do when they go behind) he'd exploit that and we have the players to put the ball into dangerous areas.

He offers something different to Bonatini / Mir

I’d take him, I’m just not convinced he’ll work though.

Do some people actually watch the way we play? Neves will not be picking Afobe out with through balls, because we don't play that way and neither do teams play against us with a high line so there won't be room in behind for him to run into. He's not a link player either, never has been, never will be.

Exactly this. It seems like Deja Vu on here today.

I don't want Afobe. Doesn't fit the style of play, will be of little use in the Prem, denying opportunities to Mir, and I don't like him. We don't even need another striker, though if we are buying I'd prefer Zohore or Oliveira.

I’m not hugely against it - Afobe is a good player, has plenty of quality at this level and I’d rather it’s a loan - but I’m not fussed if it doesn’t happen either. I don’t see him a a promotion clincher, basically.

Seen some people calling him lazy (Facebook. Twitter, I know I know), which is just bollocks. I remember one of his last games, Charlton away, and he was the best player on the pitch by a mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back