• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter Transfer Thread (And Summer Free Transfers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links to Chris Martin all over Twitter this morning. "Surprise swoop..."
Doesn't really fit into Derby's style of play but a perfect fit for us. I think he would be an excellent signing and probably quite a lot cheaper now all things considered.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I would be VERY surprised if we went anywhere near Chris Martin. January is all about securing Jota, Bonatini, and hopefully Boly and Vinagre.

It could just be lazy journalism but if Bonatini gets injured he's a very good replacement, he's a very clever player similar to Leo but is better in the air and a good set piece taker. Depends on money I guess but I have a feeling we will see Leo in a permanent and another loan coming in.

I also think we will firm up Vinagre.

Me too - Martin is 29 now. The only players we should be looking at are players who could play in the Premiership.

Precisely my thoughts Norman. There is no point whatsoever in spaffing funds on championship footballers when our aim is clearly to not be in the championship next season.

I know for a fact that Thelwell enquired about Martin's availability in January about a month ago and was told that there was a deal to be done if we wanted to. At that stage it was just a conversation though.

Uncle Jorge will weave his magic again and get us a striker who's already scored 20.. ;-)

Me too - Martin is 29 now. The only players we should be looking at are players who could play in the Premiership.

I think the striker signing won't fit that. It will be a short term loan deal to back up Leo IMO

I expect us to turn 3 of the loans we currently have into perm deals (Jota, Vinagre & Leo) and free up space to sign a back up forward and a RWB on loan.

If we do firm up the Jota deal it's a major statement, I really hope it happens. As good as we have been so far I don't think we should rely on Leo being fit (and Doc for that matter) a RWB and ST are a must in January.

Given how successful our signings have been so far I am sure we will pluck someone we have never heard of on loan and he will be ace.

If we sign Martin I will be more than happy even though we know we will be looking for better if we go up, let's get there first eh.

I'm not sure Martin can replace Leo if he gets injured. He doesn't really hold up the ball very well any more and his movement and technique is poor.

Not sure on Martin. Admittedly I haven't seen Derby play this season but he impressed me the times I have seen him before. But this year he only has 1 in 21 in all competitions. He'd probably be fine for this division but I can't see him having any use in the Prem. At best he's a decent backup if Leo gets injured.

I expect us to sign Bonatini permanently come January and try to tie down Jota. Vinagre and Boly to be dealt with over the summer.

I figure it’s the leagues way of making the competition more interesting, forcing us to play an immobile lump up front...

The Chris Martin of 3 or 4 years ago would be brilliant in this squad. Not sure the current version will do much more than warm our bench and allow us to send Enobakhare out on loan. Poor career move for him if we do sign him.

Mention in the article below about us nearly getting Stefano Okaka at the end of the last window. He’s nowhere near the Watford squad, so I can see some sense in this one.

He’s a big lad but quite good technically and his goal scoring has improved in recent years. He’d definitely offer us a different type of forward to Leo. We could do worse and I don’t think he’d cost much.

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/15696881.Okaka_resigned_to_leaving_Hornets/

Okaka looked a real player when he got minutes early this season. I'd be happy with that.

Does KT get no credit for our recruitment this season?

Ryan Bennett and John Ruddy were Lambert's men and the rest are quite clearly our friend Jorge and Nuno's men.

Maybe Douglas but that doesn't make up for the years of absolute dross that he's bought and the links to Hugill, Steele and Hanley during the summer. Thelwell's the epitome of the Peter principle.

Nuno won't have players foisted on him of that I'm about 120% certain so if Thelwell achieves his life ambition I'd imagine it's with Nuno's blessing.

Ryan Bennett and John Ruddy were Lambert's men and the rest are quite clearly our friend Jorge and Nuno's men.

Maybe Douglas but that doesn't make up for the years of absolute dross that he's bought and the links to Hugill, Steele and Hanley during the summer. Thelwell's the epitome of the Peter principle.

He's probably the originator of the Thelwell Principle. I'd say he's around three rungs above his level of competence. The equivalent of EEL playing for Man City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back