• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter Transfer Thread (And Summer Free Transfers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand where you are coming from but it is difficult for me to believe that KT had any input in putting those players forward as potential signings, I would say it was more down do Nuno and Mendes. Obviously, I have no idea but it certainly looks as though he didn't.

Of course it's Nuno and Mendes, however as Head of Recruitment, Thelwell is a big part of the whole recruitment set up and has to be given some of the credit too. For all we know Mendes may have given 100 names to KT and Nuno and they had to decide from that list who they wanted.

Of course it's Nuno and Mendes, however as Head of Recruitment, Thelwell is a big part of the whole recruitment set up and has to be given some of the credit too. For all we know Mendes may have given 100 names to KT and Nuno and they had to decide from that list who they wanted.

Agreed, however, I still find it difficult to see how we would have chosen the quality we have if it were down to KT. I could be completely wrong and will hold my hands up to that, I'm just extremely cynical, especially given the colossal change in quality compared to pre-Fosun/Mendes/Nuno.

Exactly, KT is part of the team that got these players in, along with Nuno, Shi and Mendes, so he has value, the desire by some (many?) to bin him off irks me, to suggest he has as much impact as the tea lady etc is just ludicrous.

KT's issue is that he is one of the old regime, it's an albatross.

Well that was in response to Johnny not you, but yeah i largely agree with what you have said above.

My issue is people who moan for moaning's sake, and it feels that moaning about KT, who is head of recruitment, after the best summer of signings in my liftetime is totally unfair, of course the signings of Clarke, Sagbo and Holt shouldn't be forgotten, they were dreadful, but this is an entirely new era, and the players we have signed since Fosun have largely been a success, that is what I am judging KT on, not signings we made under KJ, Morgan and Moxey a few years ago.

I think you having a pop at other fans isn't on really. I have been critical of KT for years as I do not see his value anywhere at the club. Ask yourself, if KT was any good at his job why didn't this brilliant crop of players turn up at some point during his tenure? Bar Neves, Cav and Douglas they are mainly loan and free agent signings.

How come KT didn't sign anybody of this class before? Is it mainly that he's a good Lg1 recruiter but not a very good Championship one? I worked with one of the best Championship recruiters ever but he just couldn't find a PL player is he walked into his office and said 'Hi, where do I sign?'. It's just limits and KT has clearly found his.

Exactly, KT is part of the team that got these players in, along with Nuno, Shi and Mendes, so he has value, the desire by some (many?) to bin him off irks me, to suggest he has as much impact as the tea lady etc is just ludicrous.

KT's issue is that he is one of the old regime, it's an albatross.

Do you know how involved he was and what value he has? Not having a pop as you may well know him personally.

Do you know how involved he was and what value he has? Not having a pop as you may well know him personally.

I know he is part of the recruitment team that has brought in some of the best players I have ever seen in a Wolves shirt.

Agreed, however, I still find it difficult to see how we would have chosen the quality we have if it were down to KT. I could be completely wrong and will hold my hands up to that, I'm just extremely cynical, especially given the colossal change in quality compared to pre-Fosun/Mendes/Nuno.

There is no doubt that these players wouldn't have signed had Mendes not been involved, but the recruitment process is not just about identifying player. Also, take somebody like RBS the bloke at the top gets given credit when things are going well regardless who implemented it and also takes the wrap when things don't.

How come KT didn't sign anybody of this class before?

Because he was hamstrung by the likes of Moxey and Morgan! We are operating in a different stratosphere now aren't we?

It's interesting how you speak in terms of fact, when you can't possibly KNOW what you are saying is true or not, it's guesswork.

None of us can say how much KT has been involved but I find it unlikely that Neves, Jota, Bonatinior Boly would have signed for us without Nuno let alone Mendes' involvement/relationship with the club. So while I am sure Thelwell approved of these signings I'm not so sure we would have even been looking on that direction without Nuno

Johnny's point about Hugill, Steele, Hanley is an important one IMO. Had we kept Lambert on, that would have been a sign of the direction we were in as Lambert had clear concerns about Mendes in terms of recruitment. No Mendes means no Nuno, meaning we would have been spending big money on Championship seasoned players (or cloggers, IMO) with Lambert and Thelwell playing a more prominent role. That is how I see it anyway

Fortunately, we binned Lambert (he did OK, nothing more nothing less) and we are where we are now.

Besides, Johnny has had a dislike for Thelwell (to put it mildly) for much longer than simply wanting to have something to moan about.

Besides, Johnny has had a dislike for Thelwell (to put it mildly) for much longer than simply wanting to have something to moan about.

As i said, we are top of the league following the best summer recruitment i have ever known, moaning about the guy who is head of recruitment can't be anything other than wrong.

Oh well that's ok then, it must be personal.

As i said, we are top of the league following the best summer recruitment i have ever known, moaning about the guy who is head of recruitment can't be anything other than wrong.

Well no, it means he just hasn't been a fan of his recruitment. Thanks for ignoring the rest of my post though, top work.

That's a bit literal minded for me, there are always areas for improvement. I doubt Guardiola is 100% satisfied with everything about Man City's season to date. I know Nuno won't be here.

As Head of Recruitment he is the guy responsible for all the players we recruit....

Whether that be Leon Clarke, Grant Hanley, or Lionel Messi, as head of, he is responsible.
I Manage 6 guys, I am responsible for everything they do good or bad, My manager has 2 guys reporting he is responsible for everything we do good or bad.

At the minute KT is doing an excellent job like him or not, the last 12 - 18 months has been good in terms of recruitment.

Well no, it means he just hasn't been a fan of his recruitment. Thanks for ignoring the rest of my post though, top work.

I just don't see how forming an opinion based on who we are being linked with via the press can be seen as solid? Yeah criticise him for Sagbo, Clarke and Mason, they are facts, they are things that happened, but criticism of us (not) signing players is stupid. Particularly as at the time those players were being linked we would have been long down the route of trying to get Nuno to Wolves, why do those links have any credence, they are just being used to help form a narrative.

That's a bit literal minded for me, there are always areas for improvement. I doubt Guardiola is 100% satisfied with everything about Man City's season to date. I know Nuno won't be here.

Yes it is, but there are people moaning about us being linked with Hanley and sticking the boot in, whilst saying that KT gets no credit for Costa, Boly, Leo, Saiss, Coady, Bennett, Ruddy, Cav etc isn't even literal minded, it's just unfair.

Since around the time we sacked Walter, KT's responsibilities have been

Report to the Chairman on all football related matters. Tick Jeff seems pretty clued up
Work closely with the Head Coach to develop a first team squad capable of promotion to the Premier League. Tick - seems to be well on track
Take responsibility for all aspects of transfer and contract negotiation. Tick - we don't appear to be signing any dead ducks.
Be specifically responsible for all aspects of the football operation including Recruitment, Academy, Sport Science, Performance Analysis and Medical Services. Tick We don't have a massive Casualty list
Maintenance of the Academy’s Category One status in line with EPPP requirements. Tick still there.

In the previous 3 years he helped achieve

Promotion to the Championship in 2013/14 in a record breaking season that included highest points total (103), record number of clean sheets (25), league wins (31), away wins (14) and best winning run (9).
Over 50% of the first team squad being Home grown from the Clubs successful Academy.
Redefinition of the Clubs operating structure to create a “One Club” process of support.

Why do people specifically hate Kevin Thelwell and why is he specifically blamed for so many of the club's problems in the past? Genuine questions.

Since around the time we sacked Walter, KT's responsibilities have been

Report to the Chairman on all football related matters. Tick Jeff seems pretty clued up
Work closely with the Head Coach to develop a first team squad capable of promotion to the Premier League. Tick - seems to be well on track
Take responsibility for all aspects of transfer and contract negotiation. Tick - we don't appear to be signing any dead ducks.
Be specifically responsible for all aspects of the football operation including Recruitment, Academy, Sport Science, Performance Analysis and Medical Services. Tick We don't have a massive Casualty list
Maintenance of the Academy’s Category One status in line with EPPP requirements. Tick still there.

In the previous 3 years he helped achieve

Promotion to the Championship in 2013/14 in a record breaking season that included highest points total (103), record number of clean sheets (25), league wins (31), away wins (14) and best winning run (9).
Over 50% of the first team squad being Home grown from the Clubs successful Academy.
Redefinition of the Clubs operating structure to create a “One Club” process of support.

Why do people specifically hate Kevin Thelwell and why is he specifically blamed for so many of the club's problems in the past? Genuine questions.

My only possibly explanation is that he is seen as part of the old guard that included Moxey and Morgan and people want a clean sweep.

As Head of Recruitment he is the guy responsible for all the players we recruit....

Whether that be Leon Clarke, Grant Hanley, or Lionel Messi, as head of, he is responsible.
I Manage 6 guys, I am responsible for everything they do good or bad, My manager has 2 guys reporting he is responsible for everything we do good or bad.

At the minute KT is doing an excellent job like him or not, the last 12 - 18 months has been good in terms of recruitment.

"Take responsibility for all aspects of transfer and contract negotiation."

He is responsibility would appear to be for ensuring we don't get striped in any negotiations. Who he is negotiating with, isn't his responsibility.

I can't argue with the recruitment process since Nuno arrived and if KT has been a big part of it then kudos to him, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back