• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter Transfer Thread (And Summer Free Transfers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've met him a couple of times as he drinks in a club near me, seems a fairly nice guy but not very bright or sharp. He should be nowhere near a contract negotiation.

Since around the time we sacked Walter, KT's responsibilities have been

Report to the Chairman on all football related matters. Tick Jeff seems pretty clued up
Work closely with the Head Coach to develop a first team squad capable of promotion to the Premier League. Tick - seems to be well on track
Take responsibility for all aspects of transfer and contract negotiation. Tick - we don't appear to be signing any dead ducks.
Be specifically responsible for all aspects of the football operation including Recruitment, Academy, Sport Science, Performance Analysis and Medical Services. Tick We don't have a massive Casualty list
Maintenance of the Academy’s Category One status in line with EPPP requirements. Tick still there.

In the previous 3 years he helped achieve

Promotion to the Championship in 2013/14 in a record breaking season that included highest points total (103), record number of clean sheets (25), league wins (31), away wins (14) and best winning run (9).
Over 50% of the first team squad being Home grown from the Clubs successful Academy.
Redefinition of the Clubs operating structure to create a “One Club” process of support.

Why do people specifically hate Kevin Thelwell and why is he specifically blamed for so many of the club's problems in the past? Genuine questions.

It's really a recruitment issue. From January 2014 to May 2016 we signed:

Leon Clarke
Kortney Hause
Nouha Dicko
George Saville
Benik Afobe
Tommy Rowe
Rajiv van La Parra
Jordan Graham
Tomasz Kuszczak
Yannick Sagbo
Danny Graham
Mike Williamson
Conor Coady
Joe Mason
Jed Wallace
Nathan Byrne
Emi Martinez
Sylvain Deslandes
Michal Zyro
Adam Le Fondre
Grant Holt
Sheyi Ojo
Jeremy Helan

That is not an especially good track record over two and a half years and added to that we've had some absolutely nonsensical contract extensions to existing players - Ebanks-Landell probably being the worst of the lot but there are plenty of others that were just pointless and committing ourselves to holding on to personnel who are simply not up to the task.

It just comes across as scapegoating. " Remember when we wuz shit, it wuz 'is fault' Man in doing a better job under a new regime than previously under the old one shocker.

It's really a recruitment issue. From January 2014 to May 2016 we signed:

Leon Clarke
Kortney Hause
Nouha Dicko
George Saville
Benik Afobe
Tommy Rowe
Rajiv van La Parra
Jordan Graham
Tomasz Kuszczak
Yannick Sagbo
Danny Graham
Mike Williamson
Conor Coady
Joe Mason
Jed Wallace
Nathan Byrne
Emi Martinez
Sylvain Deslandes
Michal Zyro
Adam Le Fondre
Grant Holt
Sheyi Ojo
Jeremy Helan

That is not an especially good track record over two and a half years and added to that we've had some absolutely nonsensical contract extensions to existing players - Ebanks-Landell probably being the worst of the lot but there are plenty of others that were just pointless and committing ourselves to holding on to personnel who are simply not up to the task.

it certainly is. How much of the blame for that rests with KT though? You can argue that as he is 'ultimately' responsible, he's to blame, but we will never know. It's not as if any sane man is ever likely to hold their hand up and take blame for that lot.

Or we should be looking to improve each area of the club as and when we can and shouldn't carry mediocrity just for the sake of it?

I must admit to having a lingering dislike of KT, mainly due to the dross we signed prior to Nuno's arrival (lists above are quite a nasty read) I wouldn't claim to know how involved he has been this season/or prior to but if we are going to give him abuse for the mistakes he has made (and there are many) then we must also give praise where it is due.

Once a manager has made his list of targets how involved will he be in today's footballing structures? I suspect very little, no doubt Bennett and Ruddy would have been recommended by Lambert (good recommendations if you ask me at least for Ruddy) and Jota, Neves and Co by Nuno but once those recommendations have been made the club still need to agree fees, wages & contract terms (release clauses etc..)

If KT can recruit as consistently as this season moving forwards then hes doing a blooming marvelous job as much as it pains me to say.

I've met him a couple of times as he drinks in a club near me, seems a fairly nice guy but not very bright or sharp. He should be nowhere near a contract negotiation.

You only need to listen to Thelwell give a speech to know he's not that bright.

Jeff is about as ruthless as they come and now hes living over here and working day to day he much be happy with KT, even if he doesn't sound especially bright it doesn't necessarily mean he is thick, ive met plenty over the years that didn't appear to be quite the full ticket that were actually very intelligent.

Not sure why I am sticking up for Kev but still i think we need to be fair here.

Jeff is about as ruthless as they come and now hes living over here and working day to day he much be happy with KT

Fosun have soon got rid of anyone not seemed suitable. KT has now done a year and a half under them, clearly he does something they like or else he would have been gone in the summer when Lambert was pushed.

Fosun have soon got rid of anyone not seemed suitable. KT has now done a year and a half under them, clearly he does something they like or else he would have been gone in the summer when Lambert was pushed.

Convenient fall guy if this season does not go to plan perhaps? Either way he should not be DoF if we get to the prem.

Jeff is about as ruthless as they come and now hes living over here and working day to day he much be happy with KT, even if he doesn't sound especially bright it doesn't necessarily mean he is thick, ive met plenty over the years that didn't appear to be quite the full ticket that were actually very intelligent

Absolutely, "Our Jeff" will soon bin Thelwell off the instant he thinks that Thelwell isn't up to the job.

And I'm sure no-one who complains he "sounds thick" has a Black Country (or worse, a Brummie) accent... :stirthepot::stirthepot:

One-time "target" Vincent Aboubakar scored a brace today in the Champions League as Porto advanced to the next round.

Don't think we'll be landing him now.

Tiquinho soares on the other hand... he’s not been playing much so maybe we’ll be back in for him....

s9Kv7r0.png

Apparently, Wolves is trying to sign this youth Benfica player.

He's a very good player who has not been having much chances in Benfica, unfortunately. Considering he is better than most of the players for the position. Plays mostly as an offensive midfielder, but may also play in the wings or midfield center (that the name?).

Should Wolves sign him, I'll be very glad for Wolves and the player.

s9Kv7r0.png

He's a very good player who has not been having much chances in Benfica, unfortunately. Considering he is better than most of the players for the position. Plays mostly as an offensive midfielder, but may also play in the wings or midfield center (that the name?).

We've seen a few links to Carvalho over the last few months and it does seem to be our new policy, to bring in young, exciting players

s9Kv7r0.png

How highly would you rate Carvalho compared to Jota, Costa, Cavaleiro etc?

and what is he like when the sun isn't shining, the temp dips below 13 and he has to play in a crap hole town against a shit team at night?

Money is available to seal permanent moves for Atletico Madrid forward Jota and Al-Hilal striker Bonatini with a combined cost of £10m-£15m.

Even the top end of that figure for those 2 is a bargain and a half

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back